Advice on taking friends and family

CLASSICPOOH2002

Earning My Ears
Just thought I would try to get some opinions on taking friends and family with you to your timeshare. My husband and I own at BWV and bought with the intention of taking friends and family. We are going in January with my parents and brother, wife and 2 boys (4 and 18mths). We are not asking anything for the room. However we are planning another trip in September of next year and are taking about 4 families that are all friends. I had an idea that I ran by my husband and he thought it would work, but I would like some other opinions on this from DVC owners. I thought about telling the families that I would get them a studio at BWV or OKW depending on where we stay and let them pay us $50 a night. We always go from Sun to Friday, which is 5 nights at $250. I think this is fare and here is the reason I feel it might be best to do. We took a big group of friends and family in Oct last year and I had 6 rooms. I did not charge anyone anything and the entire time people were trying to give us money and were right there trying to all be with us. This is not what we wanted. It is our vacation too and as much as I love to hang out with them my husband and I wanted time on our own too. It felt like they all felt they owed us for the room and all.

Do you think this would work for the upcoming trip? I do not want to charge my parents and brothers family for Jan, but think that this might be best for Oct. Please give me your input. I do not think that $250 is bad for 5 nights at the resorts and too I try to cook for all that go with me at least once a day for either breakfast or supper. I love to cook!! When we went in Oct last year we hardly ate out at all!! It was so much fun!!!

Thanks for your input!!!! Don't you just love Disney!!!
Melonie Willis

IMHO, the most important thing to do is talk about expectations in advance of the trip. That way, everyone should be on the same page. Definitely include the financial expectations (if any), and togetherness vs private time.

FWIW, I think $50/night is more than fair and offering to cook for everyone once a day is very GENEROUS!

Enjoy the trips! Both sound like lots of fun!

Sounds fair. Make sure they all understand before you book the rooms. They may not see the value in a studio for 50.00,so make sure they know the cash cost of the rooms.

We went away with my brother in law and his family, 5 kids. The plan was to get together in the morning, split up after lunch and get back together for dinner and late night stuff. It worked out great, we saw them and also had time to do what we wanted. Have a good trip

I agree with a previous poster.... talk about this now and see how it goes.... I like the idea of showing them how much the rooms go for....

And no, I dont think asking for something in return is wrong.... We are taking our BIL and family this December, OKW 2 bedroom.... We requested they have us over for dinner one night, and buy us dinner out another.... This is all they could afford.... but we are just so happy to be able to share DVC with them, it doenst matter....

BUT for friends..... They pay us, a discounted rate..... upfront! LOL

Let us know how it goes!

$50 a night for a studio is certainly more than fair.....but I think the main thing is to be clear in the expectation that you and dh will have some time alone! I think it sounds like your friends will be more than happy to cover your costs in this way....but definitely check with them!

I agree with the other posters, you are most definitely being fair and generous. It is very important to be upfront at these beginning planning stages about the cost. Also, I would politely let them know that they are under no obligation to share all of their time with your family during the vacation because you understand the need for each family's quality time together(putting it in terms of you not imposing on them makes it sound better and puts the message out there). We travel with friends and let them know these things. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). By the way, we're bringing friends to BWV for a week during July 4 and we're charging $100/night for the week. So yes, you are being generous (or we're just being chumps ;) ).

I think charging is a good idea,even a small amount.peolple put little value on what is given to them free.Oh...can I come too!

Great deal. OKW studios rent (cash from Disney) for a little over $300 per night. If you rent the points (during October Sun through Thr) you could get $400. But I agree that all needs to be upfront at the beginning.

We like October time and can't wait for our short stay at the BCV & MNSSHP.

Good Luck and have a magical day. :wave:

I agree you are being very generous.

I also agree with the posters who said to talk about expectations before going. We took extended family with us this last May and paid for all rooms and airfare (mostly on free miles, but not all). We also entertained in our room most evenings - anything from drinks and snacks up to full meals. Everybody seemed to want to tour together. They were all commando style travelers (which we are not). By the 4th day I was so exhausted and frustrated that I pleaded illness just to get away from everyone for a while. We also extended our stay (without the rest of the group) for 3 days just to get some "vacation" from the vacation. While that was certainly fun, it also added a lot of costs (points and money) that we had not counted on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sorry we did it - DH especially had a grand time (it was all his side of the family). Everyone was grateful, treated us to a couple of meals and sent flowers after we all got home. Very thoughtful! But it certainly was not as restful and fun as our trips usually are. I would not do it again without making some changes.

Great advice so far. We often invite friends along, but because we usually get a 2 or 3 bedroom instead of numerous studios, we don't charge them anything. They each have done something for us in return. It is usually a dinner out at one of our favorite WDW restaurants, or, in the case of one lower income family, a home cooked meal in the villa. One couple even got CDS tickets for all of us! Those kind of things are nice and make me feel better. I don't feel comfortable inviting people and asking for money.

We usually expect our guests to spend the first day of the trip with us, but that evening, I usually initiate conversation about the next day's plans. I then talk about having at least one time and place for everyone to meet and do together. We like to get up and out early, but sometimes our guests are not of that leaning. I get frustrated waiting for people to get out of bed, so we find this is an easy way to all get what we want. Some guests get up with us and go right away. Some sleep in and meet us at the appointed lunch spot. It works out great, and we get to do some of those special things together.

My wife and I just recently took both our mothers, my sister, and BIL along with us and our 2 kids. I think to some people there's a distinction sometimes between family or friends. For me, I have always envied family groups all together having a good time. In the 10 or so trips that my wife and I have been going to WDW (DVC since 2000), we always have gone by ourselves. This trip was a chance for us to treat our family to something we feel very lucky to be able to afford and enjoy as much as we do. So when we went, there were 8 of us together at a time as an extended family. I didn't charge them for a portion of the room costs (GV @ OKW and 2BDR @ BWV). My BIL and sister picked up the tab one night in a nice restaurant, and they bought enough gifts for our kids that it was almost like Christmas. We treated both our mothers as this vacation was like a dream vacation for the both of them.

I'm not sure if I would treat friends the same way. Depends on how close we were as families. The fact that you're all going down together in the same hotel or DVC spot implies some togetherness in some fashion. But I agree with some of the other comments about expectations up front. On the first night at WDW, I held a family meeting. I said that this was everyone's vacation, not just theirs or mine. Everyone had room keys. I laid out a planned schedule of activities and made PS's on various days. I gave them all a copy. I said this is what we're doing. If you would like to do something else on that day, you're welcome to venture out on your own. Since our mothers are widowed, they naturally were tagging along with us no matter. My sister and BIL decided to keep the schedule as well as it was their first trip to WDW. I'm sure if we went down again as an extended family, my sister and BIL would venture out on their own a few days.

I think your idea for the trip with friends sounds very generous and reasonable. Besides the room, I would have to think about meals out or cooked inside, special events like an Illuminations Cruise, sharing of rental car, etc. I think expectations are very important up front when a group of friends are going and you're assisting with room reservations. What I did with our family was ask for an amount that took care of their park tickets (used my DVC discount), rental car that we had, Illuminations Cruise, groceries, etc. I turned out to be more or less a tour operator I guess, but I had fun doing it. This was easy because of close family. Not sure how I would approach groups of friends as far as parks, meals, etc. I guess I would get all the wives and/or husbands before the trip and talk about plans and expectations. But as for the $50 per night for a studio, that is fine. Be careful with providing rack rates for studios to friends, especially ones who understand rack rates and various discounts. DVC studios are a cut above normal resort rooms, but I wouldn't pay $300 for a studio at a DVC resort if I could get a room with 2 queen beds at AKL for @ $129 or GF for $199.

We just did our first family trip by taking my parents. We didn't ask anything for the room, just asked for them to pay for their own food and one meal for us--they ended up buying us a meal a day (their idea). This is how we got to eat at Flying Fish!:cool: But if we take my in-laws (doubtful with MIL health issues) they wouldn't be able to afford that, and probably would eat mostly in the room unless we bought. Just as long as expectations are clear BEFORE you make final arrangements you should be fine.
Robin M.

I've taken friends and family many times. And, I've never charged. I figure, if I invite them, then I don't charge, now if they invite themselves, that's another story <g>.

Anyhow, I've always told everyone that we are not park commandos! We would start the day off with them, but after that, we will part our ways. And I also assured them that we don't mind not spending time together.

It's Walt Disney World! And a lot of my friends and family, have never been! I told them to get the most out of their park passes! It's so expensive to get into the parks, that if I charged them for the stay, they would not be able to afford it.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :D

Sister with me this fall in a BCV Studio for DIS CON II.....
Didn't charge her anything.....she will rent car that we will share
We are definitely able to "do our own thing" if we want

Friends in May in a BCV 2 bedroom.....
We are charging them for the extra points that I needed to rent to go from a one bedroom to a two bedroom (about $600 for a 7 night stay)...they also want to pick up the first $200 in food and beer for the villa. We are all going to rent our own cars.
We are going to try to eat at least one meal during the day together in the villa (probably breakfast). We have been with them before and we are all DEFINITELY able to do our own thing.

I agree with others, set the ground rules first....

Cheers

Karen

Our friends are renting a 2BR unit at BCV and are taking us. We're giving them a 5 day hopper pass as a thank you. We also don't expect for them (and vice versa) to be with us at all times. We have an understanding. We usually do something with just our family one time during the week at least. Just explain ahead of time that you'd like to make some time with just your immediate family and they can do something on there own as well. Even if it's just shopping at DTD and a dinner.

I have taken friends several times. My last trip with a friend was with my best friend, her family and her parents (who are kind of like parents to me) I got them a 2 BR and I had a studio. My friend was picking up the entire tab for her parents (there is no way they could have afforded it) and she inisted on paying for all my meals (She nearly bought me a ticket, I already have an AP and I was not paying attention when she purchased tickets!) I did not stay the entire time (nor do I when I meet family members down there) However, since I go so much more than my friends and family I always have to play tour guide!

She is going again in November with her in laws and I assume it will be the same arrangement if I choose to join them (I have not decided!)

I will say that I have never mentioned the cost to my friend and she has tried to pay both times! The last time she went down to the front desk and found out what a night in 2 BR goes for. She finally mailed me a check since I would not quote her a price. She still got a great deal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter