• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice on Presidents Week (long)

Kristen88

Earning My Ears
So, in typical "me" fashion, I have been planning our vacation during what is considered a peak week at WDW. When choosing the dates, I had not anticipated President's Week as having any significant impact on the crowds (I am from the mid-west and we celebrate the one Monday, not the entire week as some do on the east coast, apparently).

I have already put a deposit down on an off-site villa and have requested the time off from work. I think I can get the deposit back (according to the contract). Work may be a little more difficult to change my only possible option is to move the date to one week later, but this could be an issue.

Here is my delima: My husband had a stroke a few years ago and this is why I am trying to avoid "peak" crowds. He walks slower and can easily lose his balance in crowds. I don't want this vacation to be more frustrating for him than necessary. He doesn't "look" like he has a disability (at first glance) and others can be impatient with him at times. It will also be a first visit for my adult sons (19 & 23)and my husband, and my first visit in 25 years.

I like the villa we booked- its got price, amenities and location. It took a lot of research to find the right one and while I have already started eyeing other places, so far I would have to compromise on price to get the amenities/location. I don't really want to spend MORE money but something has to give.

How bad are the crowds this week? Is the hassle of the crowds greater than the hassle of trying to change it? I am at a loss.

Thanks for your imput!

Honestly, it's insanely busy. Way back when I was planning the first trip for DS and myself, we were meeting up with a friend of mine who picked the dates. The only time I had ever even heard of President's DAY was in commercials having sales to honor the quasi-occasion. Little did I know that no one is minding the entire East Coast that whole week because they all get that week off.

It was CRAZY crowded. Not just by my crowd-hating estimation -- When we drove past the MK gates there was a sign that said "PARK FULL." :eek: I know there are tons of people who like going then, and say that it's "manageable" with a plan, but I want my WDW trips to be way more than manageable! Never again. Now we go in either early December (which has, in recent years, also gotten waaaayyy too crowded for my tastes), or early-mid February (which to me is just perfect in terms of both weather and crowds.)

I can't tell you if it would be more hassle to change your dates or deal with the crowds, but in my honest opinion there is little that would convince me to deal with crowds like that again!!

My advice - if you have any way to move your trip back to the week of February 28th (so, a week after President's Day in 2011), you will be much happier.

We went to WDW for our honeymoon in 2009 the very end of February through beginning of March and it wasn't bad at all. It helped that it was a week after President's Day and those crowds had dissipated.

I hope that you are able to make things work!

Little did I know that no one is minding the entire East Coast that whole week because they all get that week off.

They do? Sure wish that was the case where I live in South Carolina.
My husband has never gotten President's Day off from work, nor have my
children ever gotten that day off from school.

We are in NY and we get off the entire President's week for our Winter Recess/Break. It has been this way for many, many years.

We went this week 2 years ago & I felt it was as busy as Christmas week. There were 1hr waits for nearly every ride and 2hr+ waits for the more popular ones. If you can change it I would.

Your children don't get off that *day* from school? It's a Federal holiday..

I realize that not every child gets off the whole week, which is common for most of the east coast.

While I've never been during President's week, I was told by a CM at Soarin that President's Day was the longest wait time she had ever seen for the ride - 4 hours! If you can move your dates without too much trouble, I think you will have a more enjoyable trip.

That week is insanely busy!!! We are actually going to WDW during this time.. my kids are off 2-18 thru the 2-22. Atlanta GA area.

if at all possible, I would try and reschedule. Main Street in MK is wall to wall people. we dont watch the parades because of the crowds. We take advantage of the lines being a little lighter.:rotfl2:

The parking lots do fill up and the lines for the monorail are wall to wall people.

if you do decide to go that week, make dinner reservations very soon. they are filling up fast!

good luck with your decision!

We went last President's Week and it was busier than any other time I've been, including our July trip the previous year. I would change it if you can. We got there a few days before the Pres Day weekend, and it was the least crowded that I've ever seen the Magic Kingdom. Then, beginning the Saturday before President's Day, the parks became insanely crowded. We were told that last year it was worse than usual because the holiday overlapped with Valentine's Day as well as Mardi Gras (when many schools in Louisiana are out), but I would prefer not to do it again.

Your children don't get off that *day* from school? It's a Federal holiday..

They do things differently down here. They get off school for MLK day, but all the schools (and colleges) that I know of around here hold classes on Presidents Day. Another holiday that holds very little significance around here is Memorial Day, for some reason. My DH has to work that day, and the colleges have classes that day as well. Go figure.

If you can avoid it you should. I will be there, but I am a teacher so I am limited in when I can go. It will be extremely crowded. If you can manage to change your plans you will be glad you did.

Thanks for the feedback. I had hoped maybe the info I had heard had been exaggerated, but obviously not. It is clear that I need to start re-planning from scratch. (ugh)

I will be sweet-talking my boss tomorrow to see if he will allow me to change the dates. He might be feeling agreeable since it will be his first day back from his own vacation:).

Thanks all, you helped me make the right decision I do believe!!!!

Kristen

You have one thing going for you - Mardi Gras week is in March next year so you won't have dem crazy folks from Louisiana there!! :goodvibes

Peyton always dreamed of throwing a 4th quarter TD pass to lead the Saints to a Super Bowl victory!!
Dreams do come true!!

While I haven't been to Disney the week of President's day, I have been the week of Columbus day. A friend of mine is friends with a CM and therefore, I was warned to avoid weeks that contain a holiday. It was too late for me to change my trip, and I definitely regretted it. As of last year we had been during two free dining promotions in September, and a week in December, and never experienced anything like the week of Columbus day. The crowds were insane! This year we're going one week later, so we can enjoy the beautiful October weather, without the insane crowds (or at least I hope that's the case). Good luck!

I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad, but it sounds terribly crowded. We are taking my dad and his wife for their very 1st WDW trip that week. They are big travelers, but the crowds may make it a rough trip and they may never want to go back. Is it more crowded that week than the 4th of July or Thanksgiving or even Christmas? Wow, it sounds like it maybe the most crowded week of the year in WDW? Does anyone know by comparison?

I was hoping it wouldn't be that bad, but it sounds terribly crowded. We are taking my dad and his wife for their very 1st WDW trip that week. They are big travelers, but the crowds may make it a rough trip and they may never want to go back. Is it more crowded that week than the 4th of July or Thanksgiving or even Christmas? Wow, it sounds like it maybe the most crowded week of the year in WDW? Does anyone know by comparison?

According to the "professionals,"it is not quite as crowded as those holidays. According to touringplans, it is about as crowded as a typical busy summer week.

We changed our trip to a week later because of the same reason! Plus because we moved it we got free dining where as before we got nothing for that week! We are now March the 3rd so I hope we made a good decision moving to that week. Our cruise is the 27th of Feb to March the 3rd so we were limited to how we could change our dates! I hope for good weather and normal crowds :love:

We were planning our trip for Presidents week also - but decided to move it to the week before due to the anticipated crowds. The week before is supposed to be a much lighter week.

I'm worried about President's Week too.. I'm going to do the International College Program December-February and I will stop working February 18. My parents are thinking about going Feb 12 so we can use the discounts and blue pass until the 18th, and leaving Feb-26 so they can enjoy other parks, shopping, the resort,... I'm really worried about the crowds, but I have no other option because of the date my program ends!

We're probably visiting Disney parks between 12 and 18 (it's a friday), does anyone know how bad the week before president's week usually is, speaking of crowds?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter