• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice on getting to resort when flying a day before check-in

BJSforVols

Mouseketeer
We are flying into MCO the night before we check into Disney’s Pop Century and will be getting a hotel that night. (Currently planning to stay at the Hilton near Disney Springs that fly in night.)

What is our best options for getting from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to Pop Century the next morning? Should we just rent a car from Alamo, pay for parking at the Hilton, and then return the car at Disney’s car center; or is there a better option?

Does the hotel have an airport shuttle? We stayed at La Quinta years ago and rode their complimentary shuttle to hotel for the night then rode it back the next morning to take the magical express.

Edited: Just realized you are staying near Disney Springs. Car rental would probably be a good bet.

We are flying into MCO the night before we check into Disney’s Pop Century and will be getting a hotel that night. (Currently planning to stay at the Hilton near Disney Springs that fly in night.)

What is our best options for getting from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to Pop Century the next morning? Should we just rent a car from Alamo, pay for parking at the Hilton, and then return the car at Disney’s car center; or is there a better option?

I would bet my left elbow they have a shuttle. If not just Uber wherever you need to go until you can use Disney transportation.

I usually Uber, depending on what you have you may need an Uber XL but its nice and easy. The pick up is convenient and its really direct. Done it a number of times and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Cheaper than a Taxi!

I would bet my left elbow they have a shuttle. If not just Uber wherever you need to go until you can use Disney transportation.
You are lucky i don't need a left elbow.

There are no hotel-provided shuttles between MCO and Disney Springs. Disney is wayyyy to far from the airport for this to be feasible.

Flying in so late there was nothing meaningful you could do at Disney that evening. So the only reason for booking the first night near Disney Springs as opposed to near the airport was to minimize the time to get going to the parks the next morning.

With that in mind I agree your best bet is a chauffeured car (e.g. Lyft) to your Disney's resort in the morning or a rented car if you plan to do significant driving during your vacation.

Hotel shuttle (from DS hotel) to a park the next morning theoretically does not work since you may not take your bags on board the Disney bus from there to your resort. Also consumes more time, rivalling the morning time consumed by staying at an airport hotel that first night and taking Magical Express the next morning..

Last edited:
Flying in so late there was nothing meaningful you could do at Disney that evening. So the only reason for booking the first night near Disney Springs as opposed to near the airport was to minimize the time to get going to the parks the next morning.

With that in mind I agree your best bet is a chauffeured car (e.g. Lyft) to your Disney's resort in the morning or a rented car if you plan to do significant driving during your vacation.

Hotel shuttle (from DS hotel) to a park the next morning theoretically does not work since you may not take your bags on board the Disney bus from there to your resort. Also consumes more time, rivalling the morning time consumed by staying at an airport hotel that first night and taking Magical Express the next morning..
Thanks! The reason we are staying at Disney Springs is we have a 10PM reservation at T-Rex with friends who are arriving a couple days before us. Originally, our plane did not arrive until 11PM, and we were planning to stay at a hilton hotel near the airport. Southwest changed our flight to an 8:00 PM arrival, and our friends asked if we could meet them for a 10PM reservation at T-Rex. We figured it would be better to get a hotel near Disney Springs rather than return back to the airport area.

We've been to Disney several times, but we typically drive. This is our first time flying to Disney. This trip is one where we are coming down with our son's baseball team, so the flexibility to add a day on the front end of our reservation was not there as it would have been if this was our own family vacation.

Is there a reason you don't want to stay at Pop for the extra night ( or is it just not available )?

Cost-wise it should be close enough that I wouldn't want to have to change resorts if possible.

If you can't get a room at Pop ( or just plain wanted something different for the night ) you have a few choices:
  • Mears Shared Ride to DS area will cost 24.00 one way per adult and 19.00 per child. This will be most costly than some other options and can take longer to get to your final destination depending on how many other stops it has to make before getting to your resort.
  • Rent a Car - it's an easy drive but you still have to drive. Depending on how big of a car you want it should be less expensive than the Mears Shuttle Option.
  • A Sedan Driver with Mears is currently 81.00 total if you have 3 people. The drawback can be luggage storage but it could be able the same cost as the rental car and you don't have to take the time to drop the car the next day.
  • Uber or Lyft - this will be the lowest of the costs. A regular Lyft will be around 35.00 depending on what location you stay at near Disney Springs. The XL are around 42.00.

I'd either forgo the Hilton for a cheap onsite hotel to stay in so that I could take DME, or pony up for a car service. Car rental would be a lot of hassle for just one night.

Thanks! The reason we are staying at Disney Springs is we have a 10PM reservation at T-Rex with friends who are arriving a couple days before us. Originally, our plane did not arrive until 11PM, and we were planning to stay at a hilton hotel near the airport. Southwest changed our flight to an 8:00 PM arrival, and our friends asked if we could meet them for a 10PM reservation at T-Rex. We figured it would be better to get a hotel near Disney Springs rather than return back to the airport area.
This limits you IMO. I agree, it would be better to get a hotel near DS. I think you're going to be pushing it.
8pm arrive
8:15p off the plane
8:30p bathroom stops and at luggage claim
8:45p luggage collected, at transportation (uber/lyft/taxi)
9:15p at resort to drop luggage
9:20p leave resort to get to DS
9:30p at DS

Sure, there's plenty of time if things go right. But a little snag an you'll miss the dinner. I would seriously consider even a 1 day car rental. Pick up the car at MCO (preferably through a site that allows you to skip the counter), go straight to DS, leaving your bags in the car, then to your hotel. The next morning, take everything to Pop, check in, drop bags, return car, then use their shuttle to whatever park.

The most important thing you and also your friends need is last minute flexibility. Being ready for a cell phone call at any moment to pass on/monitor your progress from the airport to Disney is a good idea.

Going direct to Disney Springs without stopping at any hotel or resort will be a last minute decision. You might not even have time to do the ritual of fetching a pre-reserved rental car. It could come down to a regular taxi dropping you off, baggage and all, on the sidewalk at DS.

Keep in mind that, on average, one in four planes lands more than 15 minutes late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter