• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice on Getting Some Alone Time

brooctopus

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I'm headed to Disney in a couple weeks with my parents. I am 23 years old and they are taking me as a graduation present. My parents are currently planning on spending every single minute with the 3 of us together and while I love my parents a lot, spending that much time with them is bound to drive me crazy after a couple days.

Does anyone have advice on how to get some time away from a family that wants to do everything together?

Send them on a Date Night

Mom and Dad
I was hoping to get a bit time to myself today.
I am going to see about picking up a few souvenirs for some of my friends.
I made you this and hope you guys have a great time in Downtown Disney.

Put this in an envelope and add enough money for two movie tickets, and maybe some popcorn and pop.

Thanks For the Graduation gift
Mom and Dad.

parentdate7_zpswyshnc8i.jpg

I would be honest with them. As a mother I appreciate when my children are honest and straightforward with me. Just remember to tell them how grateful you are but yeah totally understandable that you want a little while alone.

Send them on a Date Night

Mom and Dad
I was hoping to get a bit time to myself today.
I am going to see about picking up a few souvenirs for some of my friends.
I made you this and hope you guys have a great time in Downtown Disney.

Put this in an envelope and add enough money for two movie tickets, and maybe some popcorn and pop.

Thanks For the Graduation gift
Mom and Dad.

parentdate7_zpswyshnc8i.jpg

I love this idea! Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I'm headed to Disney in a couple weeks with my parents. I am 23 years old and they are taking me as a graduation present. My parents are currently planning on spending every single minute with the 3 of us together and while I love my parents a lot, spending that much time with them is bound to drive me crazy after a couple days.

Does anyone have advice on how to get some time away from a family that wants to do everything together?

I agree with the others who suggest that you be honest with your parents. I bet that while Mom means well, she will appreciate the break once the three of you are together so much. You probably will all just find yourselves just dividing the way you would at home if you all were together for an entire long weekend. The difference is that at home you have a place that gives you your privacy and alone time, but on vacation you need to find it.

My family frequently travels together, and I have found that my adult chldren all have different togetheness tolerance levels, but evey one of them needs to break away for a while. I plan meals together, but generally after dinner someone heads in a different direction. During the day, when we are not in the parks, My DSIL will do laundry (I don't understand that get away either!! LOL!!!) and I skip out to the pool or a beach chair to read (pool bar,LOL) my DH wanders off to the pool or will fall asleep in the room, and DD and DGD take a walk. WE don't plan the away time, we don't even discuss it, it just happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter