Advice on Dessert Parties

Shelby109

Mouseketeer
We are spending one day in MK and are looking at two potential dessert parties:

1. Tiana's ice cream social: Why? We love ice cream and thought a mid day break (and riverboat ride) would be nice (assuming their are seats on the Riverboat?). I love the parade, but have seen it many times so I am not worried about the view. That said, it seems like it might be a longish experience and I am wondering if we will get antsy (since we only have one day).

2. Wishes Dessert Party: Would be fun to try (Rose Garden) and a good end to the day. I would love to see Wishes from that view. That said, I know I don't need a dessert party to get a good view (and we have seen Wishes - just excited to see it one last time!).

First world problems, I know....haha, but would love any advice/thoughts.

Shelby

Haven't done either, but if I were planning one it probably be Wishes. The reviews for Tiana's are kind of underwhelming

I would go with Wishes- you've already seen the parade and this will be the last time seeing Wishes! I'd want a good, reserved spot for that one- and desserts always make everything better!

Love love love the Wishes Dessert Party. We did it last Oct, this past February and are booked again on May 13th for Happily Ever After. I'll miss Wishes but looking forward to seeing something new. The garden viewing can't be beat for not only the view but the comfort of stretching out and relaxing. It's never been crowded and it's nice not having to stake out a viewing spot to watch.

Oh I would go with the fireworks Plaza Garden view. We did the Terrace view and was not thrilled with the side view of the fireworks.

Wishes Dessert Party with Plaza Garden viewing! Good desserts, fantastic view and no crowd stampede at the end of the fireworks! Unless you really want to meet Tiana (which you could do at a meet and greet), I would do the Tiana party. From the reviews, it sounds like the view of the parade isn't very good.

Another fan of the Wishes dessert party with Plaza Garden view! I love the relaxed space and great view of the castle. I hate jockeying for space with any show/parade/etc. After a gentleman squeezed his way in for front row viewing of the storm trooper march in DHS, even resting his arm on my head to steady his phone to video, I decided I will always be willing to pay extra for a little space. The desserts are pretty good as well!!

Another fan of the Wishes dessert party with Plaza Garden view! I love the relaxed space and great view of the castle. I hate jockeying for space with any show/parade/etc. After a gentleman squeezed his way in for front row viewing of the storm trooper march in DHS, even resting his arm on my head to steady his phone to video, I decided I will always be willing to pay extra for a little space. The desserts are pretty good as well!!
Wait. WHAT?! Seriously, what is wrong with some people? I've had similar experiences with the March of the first order, but not to quite that level. I'm a pretty chill person and much prefer kindness to ugliness, but I might have gotten ugly with that dude. I'm sorry that happened to you!

*Opinion *

On a one day trip, "Tiana's ice cream social" is a time sink.
The Garden Plaza desert party is a time saver. Spend your day having fun and at the last second dash in grab a dessert and walk to the garden. Boom. Fireworks.

Last edited:
We are spending one day in MK and are looking at two potential dessert parties:

1. Tiana's ice cream social: Why? We love ice cream and thought a mid day break (and riverboat ride) would be nice (assuming their are seats on the Riverboat?). I love the parade, but have seen it many times so I am not worried about the view. That said, it seems like it might be a longish experience and I am wondering if we will get antsy (since we only have one day).

2. Wishes Dessert Party: Would be fun to try (Rose Garden) and a good end to the day. I would love to see Wishes from that view. That said, I know I don't need a dessert party to get a good view (and we have seen Wishes - just excited to see it one last time!).

First world problems, I know....haha, but would love any advice/thoughts.

Shelby
I really loved Tiana's Ice Cream social -- the character interaction really makes the experience great -- and it is definitely a nice relaxing mid-day break. Yes, there are places to sit on the Riverboat, but they don't give you a great view (which you mentioned isn't a concern for you). I'd highly recommend it for just about anyone on a WDW trip. That said, if you're talking about a one-day MK trip, it is definitely a time suck. From check-in to final disembarking off the boat is about two hours. You could very easily start off thinking "wow, what a relaxing break" and by the end thinking "ugh, this was too long of a break."

Long story short, my vote for a one-day trip would be for Wishes with the garden view. The terrace view is off to the side, partially obstructed, and is only worth the extra cost if you absolutely need a chair to sit in during Wishes itself.

If you have small ones that are princess fans, the interaction with Tiana and Naveen is fantastic at the ice cream party. We just did it for my daughters 5th birthday, and her and the other small children on the boat were all listening to them tell stories about their lives together, Tiana messing around with Maldonian recipes, etc. They are very fun characters and she had a blast. I also thought the parade view was pretty good tbh - it's far away, but you're not crowded in with a ton of people, you get a high up perspective you don't normally have, and they removed a couple trees to open the view up a lot.

It does however, kill a couple hours, so if you're pressed for time it might be a bit much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter