Advice on buying a treadmill

britfish

DIS Veteran
I would like a treadmill for some walking and light running. Any advice on what to look for in a treadmill? I looked on craigslist and a local swap but I really don't know what I am looking for and all the ones on there seem older so its hard to find information on them. We don't mind buying new if we need to in order to make this a smart purchase but I want to make sure I get the right one.

I had two proforms, they do not hold up... i bought a nordic track one at sears a few years ago and it has been great. (paid about $700 on sale) It even has a fan built in which is nice.

Don't buy a manual one...I have one and the belt slips constantly...ugh

See if any friends are selling. That way you can at least try it out first.

I purchased an IMAGE 10.8Q treadmill from a friend about 8 years ago, she had it for 2 before that. It is still running strong, even after dropping it during a move!

Dawn

I bought my first from a fitness supply store. They sold only fitness equipment (treadmills, weights, elepticals, etc). I spent $1400 and had numerous repairs done due to me not lubricating it (something the salesman never said). I used it a TON! So I guess I might've over-used it (4 miles a day, 5-6 days a week for 6 years). But ask if you're supposed to lubricate it to prevent the belt and engine from wearing out!

We bought one 6 years ago and chose a Schwinn (which I didn't even know MADE treadmills!) after Consumer Reports said it was a "best buy" or "best product" or something.

Anyway, it has been great and is still going strong with no maintenance. So I guess Consumer Reports was right on. You might check to see if they have a more recent treadmill recommendation.

Mary

Before you buy, be realistic about how much space it'll take. We returned ours -- an expensive mistake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter