ADVICE NEEDED! Our Last-Minute Disney Wedding (10/02/09)

Phantasia

Earning My Ears
Upon great advice from GemmyBear83, she suggested I might get more advice if I shared my story and desperate search for advice here on the main board, rather than in Planning Journals ...

My original post: Won't let me post a link, because my post count is still too low ... not for long!

Text of my post:
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for ... well, many years, but just joined the other day, because my BF (sorry, DF!) and I started on a crazy plan...:wizard:

Most of my family (12 of us) will be vacationing in WDW from Sep 28-Oct 9. Since everyone is going to be together, and we'd always wanted a Disney wedding, we started wondering if we'd be able to pull it off in TWO WEEKS.:eek:

The DF and I have been together for many, many years (11) and it was never a question of WILL we get married so much as WHEN. And we've been together so long that a small, informal wedding is perfect and wonderfully suiting of both mine and the DF's tastes. (Love attending other people's beautiful big weddings, but I can't IMAGINE being at the centre of that hurricane.)

Did a little bit of preliminary research ... can't do it through DFTW, they need 30 days. BUT the Swan/Dolphin and Buena Vista Palace only require 72 hrs notice! I can work with that!

I've been in touch with Just Marry!, and I'm fine to put some of the organization through them, but I do find some of the elements REALLY expensive for what you're getting.

This is where you, good DIS community, come in.

We just decided on this plan 100% earlier today. Told my parents, told the rest of my family, asked my brother-in-law minister if he'll perform the ceremony - all went well.

Then I started to put together a list of the details. :scared1:

1) Small ceremony - 10 guests. Looking at my options, S/D looks like my best route for convenience on wedding day.

Swan - Crescent Terrace
PROS: Can accommodate me, VERY close to Epcot/Epcot area resorts, cost isn't exorbitant.
CONS: Don't love the outdoor locations (lots of concrete, and it's an odd red colour), don't love the design of the Swan and Dolphin hotels, cost is still pretty high for what you're getting, have to use Just Marry! as WP.

Buena Vista Palace
PROS: Can (likely) accommodate me, cost is very reasonable, nice setting for the ceremony/little champagne reception, can take their package or use any WP
CONS: In DTD area - would need to rent car or *gasp* take bus!, can't easily get to anywhere Disney-ish and scenic for photos/dinner

Anything I'm missing here? Anyone been married at these locations and have thoughts either way? I've read a lot of PJ/TRs and both locations look like they hold beautiful weddings.

2) WP - Just Marry!

From brides with experience, would you recommend putting everything through Just Marry? Or would you recommend seeing what I can book on my own and see if I can get it for less? I'm particularly wondering about the musician (Just Marry recommendation starts at $575) and hair/makeup ($250 through Just Marry).

3) Photos

At this point assuming I do the S/D ceremony, I was thinking we could wander over to the Dolphin, do some beach/palm tree wedding shots (we're from Toronto, Canada - palm trees are super foreign and cool to us), and then head with the whole party to the Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club for photos.

Any think this is a good idea? Bad idea? Logistically possible? A pipe dream?

4) Reception/Dinner/Other?

I was figuring a way to inject some Disney into the day would be to do a sit-down wedding dinner with all 12 of us. Realizing that we couldn't do any in-park restaurants, I know that (or at least have HEARD that) any of the resort hotels are fair game, even in our wedding attire. (Well, let's face it, I'm the only one that will really stand out.)

Initial thoughts on this have been something down at the Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club, but I don't know this area very well at all. Anything that would be suitable there for a party of 12? Kind of nice, not Victoria & Albert's fancy. ;) Anything timing-wise we should be aiming for? Can you see any fireworks from this area?

Alternately, we could head to another resort - GF, Poly, etc. We _really_ liked the look of Citricos...

Realizing that I've just made a decision that will make this the single most stressful week of my LIFE, I've also realize that there is NO WAY I can do this on my own. ANY and ALL tips, tricks, advice, etc. accepted!!

PS: For the record, no, this is not a shotgun wedding, and there is nothing precipitating this wedding other than that we're in love, it's time, and the stars are just going to be perfectly aligned to allow us to get married in the place we love surrounded by the people we love.

CONGRATS!!! I think it's totally possible!! I know there are other brides who have done the same thing- I think that the key will be just making decisions quickly and then quickly following through to call and see if that is possible (reservations and things like that).

I think it's very possible to take some photos at and around Boardwalk/ Yacht and beach club's beaches- they will be beautiful!!!

As far as a reception goes- maybe the Yachtsman at the Yacht and Beach Club resort, it's very nice and the food is great! I was originally looking to have my reception there.

Just another tip- if you are looking to book a meal with a party of 12 and run into some trouble, you may want to consider making it an off-peak time to see what they can do then.

GOOD LUCK! and remember-to enjoy it!

Congrats and Welcome!!! pixiedust:

You will be able to accomplish everything, it's just going to take some dedication over the next week :goodvibes

1. Both Swan and Dolphin and Buena Vista Palace will be great. I believe S&D has a beach location if that is more your style. I would contact Just Marry.

For photos at BVP you could do a photo tour around the resorts, stop at GF, Poly, The Boardwalk, etc. But you are right you would likely have to rent a car, or why not since it's your wedding day, a town car or limo?

2. I also believe Just Marry can do A La Carte, so you can pick and choose which elements you would like.

3. Photos at Boardwalk would be great with your wedding party! Your family could take a friendship boat to Y&B or Boardwalk if that is easier.

4. There are some great restaurants at S&D, here are some private dining menus

You could also try Chef's Domain Table at Citricos

Best Wishes! We're here to help, and of course in a couple of weeks we'll want to hear all about it!! :goodvibes

I would be useless with advice as I am new to all this myself but wanted to say........ CONGRATULATIONS!! How wonderfully romantic!:love::love::love::lovestruc:lovestruc

With regards to dining though, the Yachtsmans Steakhouse or the Flying Fish might be a nice idea if you are looking at the Beach Club/Boardwalk area.:thumbsup2

Ooo so exciting! I'm going to follow your planning with interest!:yay:

Congrats! :lovestruc

I have nothing to offer, but I can't wait to see the results! Normally we have to wait months, years even, to see the final outcome of a wedding. Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks! :rotfl:

Let's see if I can offer any ideas here...

Swan - Crescent Terrace
PROS: Can accommodate me, VERY close to Epcot/Epcot area resorts, cost isn't exorbitant.
CONS: Don't love the outdoor locations (lots of concrete, and it's an odd red colour), don't love the design of the Swan and Dolphin hotels, cost is still pretty high for what you're getting, have to use Just Marry! as WP.

Have you seen these pix of Crescent Terrace? It hardly has any red concrete at all, and lots of trees:

http://www.tazfoto.com/webhtml/swan_crescent.htm

Also, as another poster mentioned, you could do a beach ceremony at the Swan - no concrete there! :goodvibes

2) WP - Just Marry!

From brides with experience, would you recommend putting everything through Just Marry? Or would you recommend seeing what I can book on my own and see if I can get it for less? I'm particularly wondering about the musician (Just Marry recommendation starts at $575) and hair/makeup ($250 through Just Marry).

There have been mixed reviews of Just Marry on this board. I know for sure you can get hair and makeup for less than $250 by booking it yourself. But for the musician and other services, since you are coming from such a distance and with so little time, it seems like the easiest thing to do woulld be to let Just Marry handle all the arrangements.

Here's a condensed list containing all the people on Disney's cosmetology list (plus Patricia Lejeune, the makeup artist I used) so you can book on your own:

About Face
www.orlandomakeovers.com

Beaute Speciale
www.beautespeciale.com

Beauty On Site
www.onsitebeauty.com

Candi Ekstrom
www.expressweddingsflorida.com

Lisa's Magical Weddings
www.lisasmagicalweddings.com

Make Over Majic
www.makeovermajic.com

Patricia Lejeune
www.lejeune-pca.com

Valencia Salon on Wheels
www.valenciasalononwheels.com

Weddings on Location
www.quepasamakeup.com

Weddings By Crystal
www.weddingsbycrystal.com

Photos

At this point assuming I do the S/D ceremony, I was thinking we could wander over to the Dolphin, do some beach/palm tree wedding shots (we're from Toronto, Canada - palm trees are super foreign and cool to us), and then head with the whole party to the Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club for photos.

Any think this is a good idea? Bad idea? Logistically possible? A pipe dream?

Good idea! Very logistically possible! :goodvibes

4) Reception/Dinner/Other?

Initial thoughts on this have been something down at the Boardwalk/Beach Club/Yacht Club, but I don't know this area very well at all. Anything that would be suitable there for a party of 12? Kind of nice, not Victoria & Albert's fancy. ;) Anything timing-wise we should be aiming for? Can you see any fireworks from this area?

I second the idea of doing Chef's Domain at Citricos. The food and beverage minimum is only $650 for a private room that holds up to 12 people.

Alternatively, you could book a group seating at Yachtsman and asked to be placed together. They have a semi-private section of the restaurant they can seat you in./ However, if you book anything thru Disney Dining for more than about 8 people, they usually steer you toward the 5:30pm seating or the 9pm seating because the chances are better you'll all be able to sit together.

There's also Flying Fish at the BoardWalk. And Todd English's bluezoo at the Dolphin is absolutely amazing, but the private room would run you a $1,200 food and beverage minimum, so you might want to just make a regular reservation. I saw a large prom group there the night I dined, and they had no trouble accommodating them.

Just chiming in with congrats and I'm using a different planner than JM for our Swan ceremony. PM me if you want the info. :)

Just chiming in with congrats and I'm using a different planner than JM for our Swan ceremony. PM me if you want the info. :)

Thanks for the offer - I'd love to explore that other option. I'd PM you, but my post count is too low! (Obviously this board doesn't appreciate that I'm in a hurry! ;) )

Can you PM me with the info? Maybe I can score you a referral discount! :D

I think you need to have 10 posts to receive PM's as well... go find random threads to post in! Scarlet just posted teaser photos in her journal, go comment there! :rotfl:

Congrats!! I am getting married next year at the S&D and Just Marry are very helpful. I am still trying to figure out where to have our mini reception. I am leaning more towards Portobello. If you want their prices just message me. Let me know what other information you need. I was a little skeptical on Crescent Terrace too, but it's really pretty. I just hope it doesn't rain!!

Thanks for the offer - I'd love to explore that other option. I'd PM you, but my post count is too low! (Obviously this board doesn't appreciate that I'm in a hurry! ;) )

Can you PM me with the info? Maybe I can score you a referral discount! :D

I don't think you can receive them yet...you can email me at maryann@fivehappyhounds.com. :)

I can't offer much help but i did want to say Congrats AND that we'll be sharing a wedding anniversary if we both get October 2nd! We'll be a year apart since we're getting married next year but i thought it was cool!

Good luck with everything and I hope whatever happens your wedding day is everything you hoped it to be!

That is so great. Everything sounds wonderful. Just wanted to give another positive review for Flying Fish. You can get some great photos around The Boardwalk and head over there to eat.

Linda

Congratulations! This sounds like a wonderful idea for you.

I don't have any advice to add, other than to say that the Boardwalk is a great place for photos, and Patricia Lejeune did a fantastic job with my hair and make-up - one of the reasons I booked was because I loved how Carrie's hair and make up looked.

I was married in June (not at Disney) and I planned everything in 11 days. I had venue, minister, cake, flowers, invites, photos, dinner, flower girls/ring bearer, bridesmaid, gifts for guests, hair, makeup, mani-pedi. Oh yeah... and DRESS! with alterations.

The biggest thing to remember with scheduling a wedding this quickly is to be flexible, relax and breathe. Enjoy all of it. If something isn't perfect, it is OK. Most importantly, you are married at the end of the day.

Make your decision to set the date in stone (and venue). Everything else will fall into place. You don't have time to stress about the small stuff, so don't.

Although I originally wanted to have 150 guests, I truly enjoyed having only 15. I was able to relax and enjoy my own wedding. Even the ceremony was relaxed... when a flower girl needed to go potty, no problem. we will wait :hippie:

I did do it myself invites and mailed them (but had already called everyone with the date). I went to David's Bridal for my dress and looked "on the rack" and found the perfect dress. Don't forget to get undergarment for the dress. Shoes, jewelery tiara.

Being long distance, you will likely need someone with local contacts that can assist you with flowers, cake, etc.

It was perfect, and I am sure yours will be too.

Hi and Congratulations!!

I was a 2005 S/D bride. I did everything but hair/makeup through Just Marry and found them pretty reasonable. I attempted to get married at Crescent Terr but it started raining about 15 mins before my ceremony. I thought it was beautiful there! I loved the ring of palm trees around the platform!

The 1 hour cake reception that came included in my package was great. I even got some small hors d'orves (sp?) at the last min and I don't think I was ever charged. My cake was OUTSTANDING! Sooo good. My floral was OUTSTANDING! I simply sent pictures of both and they matched everything almost exactly! I think we even stayed closer to 2 hours in the room afterwards.

The only neg I have is the photography. I just got whatever came in the package and the photos aren't that great. It doesn't upset me too much but I do wish I'd done more research on this. Also, it was raining so I only had pics inside the Swan. I was only given about 1/2 hour of photography after the ceremony. Not too happy about that!

Good luck!

hello i'm in the same boat, trying to plan a short notice wedding. it will only be the 2 of us. trying to make it a bit more special then just going to the local court house to get married. disney has been our lives since we met and want to spend that special day there. can't afford a disney wedding but want something close to disney. even the swan & dolphin seems a bit expensive for what i'm looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter