Advice Needed: my curly long hair + FL Humidity = disaster

CarolinaChick

Mouseketeer
I know this is probably a silly question but...

I need advice from those who have curly hair. What product(s) do you use to combat the frizz created by the Florida in July/August humidity? I have problems at home with my curly hair and it only gets worse when I go to WDW. I have tried a lot of product and most of it doesn't seem to work, so was looking for advice and tips.

Other than shaving my head or donning a hat what do you to keep your hair from poofing out and frizzing up?

Thank you!

my curly long hair + FL Humidity =
Harpo-Harp.jpg

My hair is just like yours. Do you use a flat iron? I love mine & wish I had it when I was younger when I had really long hair. It works great. I've used Frizzease & some other types of frizz control serums, shampoos, conditioners. They didn't work. But after you wash your hair, blow dry it as straight as possible, then flat iron it. You should use something to keep it from drying out too much.

I've gotten caught in a little light rain & my hair stays straight, it's great. I'm not saying that it won't curl when it gets wet but it stays pretty good in humidity. Good luck, I know how frustrating it is & hat hair is not always a pretty sight.

I have a BaByliss ceramic flat iron, which I love.

I feel your pain. My hair curls - a little - but mostly just frizzes in humidity. :scared1: I've tried SO many products. I've had the best luck with silicone type products but I wouldn't recommend them because your hair will feel so gross in the FL heat - greasy and yuck.

I usually stick to good old styling gel. I tried this because DH went through a gel phase and we had it on vacation with us.;) I use a "shine" gel and scrunch when my hair is damp. This usually works for a couple of hours - long enough to look decent for dinner. For the parks, I pull it back into a tight pony or messy bun when it's wet. The bonus of doing this seems to be that when I take the pony out my hair looks smoother - again, maybe for just a couple of hours.

I haven't tried mousse but someone suggested it to me - might work (and I'll be sure to try a flat iron now).

Good luck.:goodvibes

I know this is probably a silly question but...

I need advice from those who have curly hair. What product(s) do you use to combat the frizz created by the Florida in July/August humidity? I have problems at home with my curly hair and it only gets worse when I go to WDW. I have tried a lot of product and most of it doesn't seem to work, so was looking for advice and tips.

Other than shaving my head or donning a hat what do you to keep your hair from poofing out and frizzing up?

Thank you!

I feel your pain :goodvibes My DD and I both have hair that is blonde, curly and about 2 inches past our shoulders and we always are fighting the humidity where we live and then combined with the sweat from out and about once we get to WDW, it can be a big poofy mess. I agree with the poster above who suggested ponytail or messy bun. I wish I knew how to french braid because that is a perfect style to keep the mane in place while staying cool out at the parks. Have fun and remember that regardless of your hair's texture, everyone's hair gets out of place at the happiest place on earth - have fun :laughing:

I just got back on the 15th. My hair is very curly, and I flat iron with three different products plus hair spray. The first day, I made it to the bus stop and noticed my hair was already starting the curl up. Rest of the week -- pony tail. :) Sorry.

I use gel, hairspray and mousse and some biosilk when I leave it in a wet looking messy ponytail and messy bun.

I also use Redken straightening serum and biosilk to straighten it with my CHI.

Never had a problem in WDW.

I use Fructis anti-frizz smoothing cream (not sure what it's actually called, but it's really cheap and works better for me than Frizz-Ease or other more expensive brands... I've tried almost all of them), and then Frizz-Ease mousse if I want to keep my hair curly and down. This usually lasts for about half a day in the parks before getting too frizzy, so I get some nice pictures before the hair has to go up in a ponytail or bun! :rotfl: When I'm feeling really ambitious, and want to attempt to have straight hair for a little while, I use the Fructis anti-frizz cream while my hair is damp, blow dry, then use my flat iron (Chi brand), then spray on loads of Fructis anti-frizz hair spray, which works great (for a few hours :lmao:)! It's all quite time consuming, so most days I go with the ponytail or messy bun!

Good luck!
Jen

well, i have curly fine hair AND i work in a salon so hopefully i have some good advice! :laughing:

first off, sauve (or pantene) makes an anti-humectant line which keeps moisture in, and the rest out. its actually reeeeally good for a "generic" brand. i would also recommend john freida's anti-frizz serums/creams. they work well also.
both of those brands can be found in grocery stores/walmarts & etc.

as far as fancier products go, i know sebastian sells a hairspray called Shaper Zero Gravity (i THINK that what's it called it's Shaper something, but not the old style ones. it's in a black can) and that's an anti-humidity hair spray and it's super fine, not sticky, and workable. don't even bother trying to flat iron you're hair. google some hairstyles/updos. like cute chignons, and invest in some hair accessories like bobby pins and hair bands.

before you leave make sure your hair isn't excessively thirsty because that will frizz up INSTANTLY.
moisture moisture moisture!

and i think that's it. whew! :thumbsup2

edit: anything that says smoothing, or for straightening (Like Sexy Hair's StraightSexyHair line will help.) Or something like Redken's Smooth Down line.

Hey curly head here!!! This will work, trust me! I'm a hair stylist so I know what I'm talking about lol!

For years I have been using Herbal Essence Hair mousse. Put it in when your hair is wet, and let it air dry. Finish with a hairspray ( I like shaper)

Here is my hair, it holds up well in the weather.

pulled back
012-2.jpg

Image018.jpg

If my hair can hold up in the waether, anybody's hair can lol.
down

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

I'm one of the few who has curly hair by choice. I get perms for big, loose curls, because straight hair on me looks YUCK!

Anyway, I use the TIGI Curls Rock hair products. I usually don't take the shampoo and conditioner to WDW with me, because the H20 products are good. But I swear by the paste-like product that is in a pump. It holds the curl in my hair without being frizzy, even at WDW. Heck, I'm from the south, so we have a lot of humidity all summer at home!

well, i have curly fine hair AND i work in a salon so hopefully i have some good advice! :laughing:

This exactly describes my hair type. Thanks for the advice - I will have to make a trip to the drug store and try it all!

Hey curly head here!!! This will work, trust me! I'm a hair stylist so I know what I'm talking about lol!

For years I have been using Herbal Essence Hair mousse. Put it in when your hair is wet, and let it air dry. Finish with a hairspray ( I like shaper)

Here is my hair, it holds up well in the weather.

pulled back
012-2.jpg

Image018.jpg

If my hair can hold up in the waether, anybody's hair can lol.
down

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

Lynn - thanks for posting your advice - I'll have to try that mousse. Your hair is stunning - you look like a real life version of Ariel. :)

see my hair is neither straight nor curly, its just really thick and gets really poofy especially in humidity. I like to refer to it as looking like Sebastian Bach hair except worse lol. I usually use paul mitchell super skinny serum which is expensive but lasts for ever, ive had my bottle for over a year and its not even half gone yet. Then I blow dry it and straighten it in about 3-4 different layers. But in disney I don't have time for all that and would love to learn a trick to keeping hair somewhat wavy without poofing all over the place lol.

I'm loving this thread. I have naturally curly, short, fine hair and look awful in humid weather. My hair tightens up , frizzes and looks like a ball. It's very discouraging when I go out to dinner or to a party because I just don't look neat and stylish. I've tried several of the products listed here and will try some of the new ones, but I'm not too optimistic. I think my fine hair makes it very difficult. I love winter, I can do a lot more with my hair and it actually looks smooth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter