Advice needed for U.K bride to be

msdisneybride

Earning My Ears
Hiya, we decided to have a WDW wedding (escape collection) but I would be really grateful if any previous U.K brides could give me their advice and wisdom. I don't know where to start to be honest. It seems really daunting to plan a wedding in another country. xx

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Welcome! I'm sure some of our many UK brides will be along shortly to help you out. :goodvibes In the meantime...

The planning process is not that different than planning from a remote location in the US—lots of emailing! The differences come down to form of payment and of course longer posting times for any physical documents. My biggest piece of advice from reading about scores of these events planned by UK brides is to book the package directly through Disney, not through a travel company like Virgin Holidays or Thomas Cook.

In the past, people who used a middleman like these had more problems with communicating their choices and more mix-ups on the day of. It's much simpler to deal directly with Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings. :thumbsup2

I'm currently planning an escape wedding from Canada. It's actually a lot easier and less stressful than I thought it would be. We've pretty much been doing all our communication through email and our coordinator is great at getting back to us within a day or two. I assume the process is not much different from the UK.

Congrats and Good Luck with your planning. :yay:

Hi sweetie and welcome!!!
We planned a S/D vow renewal on 2011 and must say that it was all fairly stress free. This board is a really good place to start. You will find lots of advice here on the weddings board and most of it will be excellent advice, from brides (and grooms) who have already done the 'planning a Disney wedding' thing, or are in the process of doing it. Someone here will have the answer to every question you have and we are all really friendly, so don't be afraid to ask all your questions.
You will find that the majority of your planning will be done via email, and for me this worked really well.
Enjoy your planning, I know I had a ball with mine, and use this board as much as possible. We really are here to help!!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm glad to hear a lot can be done through emailing (I was expecting enormous phone bills).

Yes the forms of payment is a little strange as I have to google the $ to £ everytime I come across a price for something.

I think i'm going to have to ask advice locally for the regulations on overseas marriage licensing. Which I know absolutely nothing about.

I have read a lot about during the planning process a lot of peoples ideas have been rejected and am a little concerned.

I've seen somewhere that disney cater to U.K / overseas customers differently. Has anyone else come across this? I am wondering if it a good thing or a bad thing?

Thank you for your help x

We can help you with the marriage license requirements! You need to apply for a license in Florida. All you need is your passport, which you take to either of the two courthouses that are within 30 minutes' drive of WDW, and the $94 fee. The info is in the packet Disney will send you.

As long as there's no line, you should be in and out of the courthouse within about 15 minutes. There are no blood tests required, and there's no waiting period for non-Florida residents. You sign the license on the day of the ceremony, and your officiant posts it to the courthouse for you. Then you get the marriage certificate in the post a few weeks after your wedding. There is nothing you have to do in the UK to validate or register the union. :thumbsup2

Thats such a relief. I am so pleased it is so easy and that its completely recognized over here. You've answered everything I could have asked on the subject, thank you so much.

I know this must be a silly question but I am a bit concerned about weather in florida. Being from the U.K and having never travelled to america, I am slightly worried about hurricanes. Is there a time of year with minimal risk of this? How likely would this occur? xxx

Hurricane season is from June 1 to Nov. 30, so you could pick a date outside of those months if you're really worried. You only ever hear about a hurricane closing the park every couple of years though (I mean, not that it's on a predictable schedule, but it's not a common occurrence, if that helps).

You'll have no problem planning the wedding from the UK. We had our Escape wedding back in 2009 and it was the best day of my life. Any questions you have just ask on here and someone will no the answer.

Lurkyloo, yes it really does thank you. Outside of these months is it still quite warm over there? We're leaning towards Sea Breeze Point now assuming its available in thoses months. I have just realised who you are from your website, will definitely be purchasing your book. Thank you for all your insights.

Chilly, I'm confident I won't have any problems now thanks to everyones great advice. I hope ours will be too :)

I 2nd the advice given that you should book directly through disney and not with a travel company!
Ours in one of the weddings that was completly screwed up by a travel company "First choice" and Disney to the point that Disney did not even have pur wedding booked,We had no choices of cake etc and very little added extras that we wanted due to the screw up! And when it comes to getting somebody to admit liability they blame it on each other and you get no where!
We are actually in the process of having our whole wedding again because of it, So i can not stress enough that communication with Disney themselves is a must :)

Lurkyloo, yes it really does thank you. Outside of these months is it still quite warm over there? We're leaning towards Sea Breeze Point now assuming its available in thoses months. I have just realised who you are from your website, will definitely be purchasing your book. Thank you for all your insights.

Glad to help! :goodvibes It can sometimes get cold during the winter, but the weather is so changeable from year-to-year that it's hard to predict. We got married in early February and had perfectly balmy, 72-degree weather. On the night of our first anniversary it was only 29 degrees. Last year it was about 80 degrees around the same time, and this year it was back to perfectly balmy 72 degrees! (Sorry I don't know the Celsius equivalents of all these! :teeth: )

Our VR was at the beginning of May and I was determined to have an outdoor ceremony (this was very important coming from cold, rainy, dreary old Engalnd), and my greatest fear was that we would be moved inside because of rain. I need not have worried - we had a hot sunny day. It was almost too hot, and I had made paddle fans which were left on the chairs for each guest, which were well used. I am really glad we made these!!!!

229757_10150232752341294_601851293_9079609_83464_n.jpg

Tinkerpea - Yes, we will definitely be going directly to disney. That must have been awful, did you still enjoy your day?
Will your wedding be at disney this time around? Best wishes

Lurkyloo - Thats really put my mind at ease, thank you. Quite looking forward to some sun lol. Thats okay I googled the equivalents haha.

Tinkerbell 766 - Mine too! Wow they're lovely, may have to invest in this idea, thank you. Did many family members come to your ceremony or was it just yourselves?

Hi there!
I'm from the uk too and am hoping to get married at disney with the escape package. I love finding people in a similar situation to myself. Let me know if you have any worries, I'm sure i'll have them too :rotfl: x

We are also from the UK and are planning an Escape wedding in October next year. They pretty much plan themselves so don't worry it will be nice and easy!

Any questions just ask, so many people here are more than happy to help :) xx

Tinkerpea - Yes, we will definitely be going directly to disney. That must have been awful, did you still enjoy your day?
Will your wedding be at disney this time around? Best wishes

Lurkyloo - Thats really put my mind at ease, thank you. Quite looking forward to some sun lol. Thats okay I googled the equivalents haha.

Tinkerbell 766 - Mine too! Wow they're lovely, may have to invest in this idea, thank you. Did many family members come to your ceremony or was it just yourselves?

There were 14 of us altogether. It was a lovely number to have at our VR xxx

hi,

im from england and we got married in january this year and had the escape package. if you have any questions id be happy to help xxx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter