• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice Needed for NYE trip!

Please, Please, Please give me tips and suggestions. I’m figuring my best way of dealing with the crowds to a degree is to tour late at night. Luckily, most of the boys will be able to hang until after midnight! And… If anyone has anything positive to stay about going this time of year.. PLEASE do so! I’m literally getting scared at the prospect of going! Oh and I am debating upon adding park hoppers. I’ll get to that…
Have been for NYE, TWICE, because we loved it so much, 2010 and 2012. Is it busy? Of course. But if you plan well (and you have) and have realistic expectations you will have an absolute blast! Spent one year at HS and the other at Epcot. Both were fun but probably preferred Epcot!

The parks will not close to capacity. At least they haven't reached phase 4 at all in the past 5 years. But, it could easily take 2-3 hours to get from CBR into Epcot on 12/31, especially later in the day.
This has not been my experience. Both times we went we did see MK close on and off throughout the day on 12/31 but was open at night. Also, it was not closed for long. I can't remember how but somehow through Disney I had signed up for text alerts about park closures.

Relax and enjoy your well planned trip!

This has not been my experience. Both times we went we did see MK close on and off throughout the day on 12/31 but was open at night. Also, it was not closed for long. I can't remember how but somehow through Disney I had signed up for text alerts about park closures.
They hit phase three on NYE in 2010 and 2012, but the only phase four closure in the past five years was on Easter in 2009. And the Magic Kingdom has added capacity for about 20,000 more guests since then.

We will be there for New Years also and are really looking forward to it! We actually wanted 9 Dragons for dinner because I want to be in that area for the dance party and to see the fireworks from there. It sounds like a blast but we aren't going to try and do much but soak in the atmosphere that night. We will also be at MK for the 30th..Disney is killin me they won't release FP for the Fireworks at MK on the 30th yet. Not sure what they are waiting for unless it's the 30 day mark so offsite folks can get a spot too.

We go to WDW for NYE almost every year.

(1) First of all, I would recommend park hoppers. We will usually go to one park in the morning and then another park in the evening where we booked FPs.

(2) Head into the MK on the 30th even if you're tired. Heck, I would skip dinner at 'Ohana in favor of a nap if it meant that I was awake enough for the fireworks. The fireworks are AMAZING. And, unlike a previous poster, I always watch them from inside the park near the hub.

(3) You have a car, why would you take a 2 hour bus on NYE? I would not. I would valet park at one of the Epcot resorts (tell them you are visiting the Boardwalk or make a meal reservation) and walk in via the International gate. Backup plan would be to park at Epcot itself but my guess would be that would be all backed up with traffic. Bonus, the International Gate is quicker.

(4) December is iffy for swimming for some. I would keep an eye on the weather and not plan on going to a water park for now. Try to be flexible with one or more of your mornings and if it's warm enough go and enjoy! We went on NYE day one year and it was empty :).

(5) Why have any "off days"? Extra days in the parks are so cheap there is no reason not to go into a park.

(6) I believe the Osbourne lights go on at sundown, so 5:30 - 6:00? They are so much fun! These glasses will make it even more fun: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holiday-Mag...109979?hash=item4885b88ddb:g:9oEAAOSwo0JWPsHT

(7) You don't need the Fantasmic! dinner package to see Fantasmic!.

(8) The crowds will be gone by Sunday or Monday but I think the park hours are cut back. 1/7 may be busy again with Marathon runners.

(9) Consider the single rider lines for Rock & Roll, Test Track and Everest. You can go in through the back door of Test Track and past the real cars to two design stations so you can drive your own designed car. Otherwise, you can only select from premade cars. If you do make your own car, DON'T tap your MB once you're are the single rider design place or it will replace your car.

Yes. We plan on doing a park every day. We have 8 day tickets. I was just thinking about doing other things during the day and doing a lot of our park touring late at night hoping for lower crowds. I probably didn't make that clear!

I am definitely wanting to see the fireworks now on the 30th. Will we be able to squeeze in somewhere on main street after our ADR at Ohana's?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter