• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice for young couple please!

Irish Jackie

Waiting....
Hi, I am from Ireland and have just booked a holiday to florida in Oct. I have been there 6 times with my family but this time will be different. This time my boyfriend and I are staying at the Windsor hills resort- every other time I have been with my family, so I had no planning or worries. As we are under 25, we found it too expensive to rent a car and was wondering about tarnsportation from windsor hills to WDW, Univeral, shops, resterants, international drive etc. how will we manage? is it all by taxis? any advice please?
Thanks,
Jackie

Quick question...is there a particular reason you decided not to stay on Disney property? By doing that you would get free transportation to and from the airport and also use of the Disney transportation to and from your hotel to and from the parks.

Check with Windsor Hills and see if they have a complimentary shuttle to WDW, Universal, Sea World. Alot of the surrounding resorts do. As far as shopping and restaurants walk if they're close or taxi. I know there's a bus system, but I'm not patient enough for a city bus.:lmao:

Quick question...is there a particular reason you decided not to stay on Disney property? By doing that you would get free transportation to and from the airport and also use of the Disney transportation to and from your hotel to and from the parks.

I second disneycake. I don't know the rate that you got from Windsor, but Disney offers a range of hotels (including several value resorts). If you are unable to rent a car, I would seriously consider looking into some of Disney's value resorts solely for the fact that you get a free transfer from the airport and free transportation to all Disney parks and attractions. :thumbsup2

Also, by staying on Disney property, you will have the option of using the Disney Dining Plan (DDP). You'll have to read some other posts on the DDP (don't worry, there are tons) to see if it's the right deal for you, but it is definitely something to think about.

we decided to stay at windsor hills because it worked out cheaper as we booked this place and flights all through the internet, plus everytime we have stayed b4- its has been on the 192- the area i am familar with. i asssumed there was public transport up and down the 192 but cant figure out the nearest bus stop, plus, it says that windsor hills is only one and a half miles to disney so we assumed we could walk?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe you can walk to Disney as it seems the Windsor Hills is in Kissimmee. Perhaps someone from FL will be able to tell you about the transportation or call/email the hotel and ask them if they have shuttles to and from Disney as well as Universal.

According to the Windsor Hills website they have theme park shuttles. But I'd look at a Disney onsite quote too. These are some nice looking places and although I don't know what it cost you I'm sure there'd be something on property close to what you are paying. It doesn't hurt to check.

I found two Windsor Hills Resorts, and it appears you are staying at the one in Orlando http://www.globalresorthomes.com/re...ills_florida&gclid=CIj4hNKRhIwCFQziQQod1Tnjvg
which advertises it is 1-1/2 miles from the GATES of Disney..which is still one looooong walk to any of the parks. Looks like from the map the closest thing is the Wide World of Sports Complex and that's quite a ways from any of the parks. There is a shuttle mentioned on the hotel web site but there is a charge for it. It states: "Shuttle bus service to Walt Disney World, SeaWorld and Universal Studios (local charge applies)".

Even driving from park to park or resort to park once you are actually on Disney property can take 15-20 minutes...I don't even want to think what walking would be. And even if you did get to the edge of Disney property (that "Walt Disney World" sign you see in photos so often) it is still a long ways to any of the parks...having been there before you can probably kind of imagine the immensity of the place...you'd spend all your time walking.

You might want to budget for that shuttle or cabs to get you to a park.

Sara

Thanks to those of you who found the Orlando one.

Irish Jackie - since you did this over the internet with your flights am I correct in assuming you cannot cancel the arrangements? If not, then as a PP (previous poster) stated you should start budgeting in the cost of the shuttle. I just called them for you and it is $10 per person round-trip per day and they run approximately 3 to 4 times a day, though the times do change depending on the season.

thank you everyone for your help- i appreciate that- and will start saving that extra bit more! thank you!! xxxx

Hi Jackie,

My Mom and I use the Lynx public bus system whenever we go to WDW. We stay on property but leave to go to Downtown Orlando at least once a trip.

Here is the link and the bus routes are fairly easy to check out...

www.golynx.com

Hi Irish Jackie,

I am thinking you would come out better finaciallyto rent a car. Also how will you be getting to you resort from the airport? I would seriously look into changing to a Disney property. You would get free transportation to & from the airport (if you're using a participating airlines) by using magical express not to mention the daily park shuttles. Plus it is extremely convenient - the busses run all day/evening. You can come and go as you wish and not be tired to someone elses schedule.

I know I have seen on here where people spend $90 to $100 getting to a resort from the airport and then your daily fees for transportation. GEEZE...that is going to add up to alot of money...quickly:eek: .

I really would look into a rental car if you can't change your res. Look on mousesavers.com for a code for the rental. A friend recently told me that a cab cost the $45 from ASMo to Universal...not sure if that was roundtrip or one way:confused: .

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.:goodvibes

Hi Jackie!

I know you have probably already booked, but me and my boyfriend originally had the same problem as you. We've both from North Wales, I'm 21 and my boyf will be 24 when we go.

We've solved the problem - and get to do what we want in the process - by splitting the stay. 1/2 on International Drive, 1/2 at WDW with a night at Universal. We can do everything on I Drive within walking distance, or just take the trolley whilst we're staying there, and I've booked a towncar to take us to WDW for $35 which will just be a one time expense.

Maybe this could be an option for you?

Not to hijack but it's very hard for someone under 25 to rent a car as many rental companies don't allow it or they charge an extremely high extra fee. Also, I'm not sure how they would feel about someone renting it who is under 25 and from another country.

Disneycake is right. Under 25, out of the country driver, they will take serious advantage of this driver charging very high insurance and high rates. I would stay closer or on property or save alot for taxis.

Does your resort provide transportation.. I know that Disney has free tranportation all over the WDW resort... Something to look into

Windsor Hills does have a shuttle too and from the parks. Have a look in the forum relating to other Orlando areas on this board and you will find heaps of Windsor Hill fans. It looks amazing to me too. We have booked for Windsor Hills this Nov/Dec and can't wait.

check on the board about off site accomadations and look for post by "george2minstodisney" I think? He owns in Windsor Hills and is an invaluable source for info about everything Windsor Hills.

I woudl check into staying at a value resort you may be suprised at how reasonable it is.

I want to say there is a public bus service or trolle you can check into.

Maybe you can get to downtown disney and take their busses to the parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter