• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advice for trip with 1 y/o baby, first trip to WDW

aliehssunday

Earning My Ears
Looking for some advice about WDW with 1 y/o infant; hoping to stay @ a DVC resort for a week mid-November. This is our first visit to WDW: husband, wife, grandmother and infant. We know we have limitations with a senior and a baby. We want to do some things, but are realistic about what we can fit into our trip. Thank you!

So many things to think about! I'd bring a lightweight stroller that folds easily (you'll have to fold it every time you ride a bus), has good sun shade, and reclines. Having a good stroller recline is key for stroller naps.

Does the little one walk? I'd bring several changes of clothes bc if he or she walks and it is warm, he might want to go in all the splash play areas.

Bring something to keep baby warm, depending on weather. It can get cool at night in November.

Don't book a lot of table service restaurants. Those are tough with little ones. CS will allow you to be more flexible.

Careful with rides, characters, and fireworks. Some little ones love them- some are terrified. Have a backup plan (we found ourselves dodging crowds and running down Main Street with our older daughter when she was 2 during the fireworks as she screamed).

Take note of the Baby Care Centers. They have changing tables, feeding rooms (with rocking chairs) high chairs etc in addition to supplies for purchase. They're all air conditioned, which can be nice during the hotter parts of the day.

Definitely pack clothes in layers.

I second the lightweight stroller. We love our Baby Jogger City Mini for Disney.

Stick to their routine as much as possible, but be flexible. My kids like to fall asleep on the bus on the way back to the hotel, and the transfer can be kind of rough. It probably would have been better to just have nap time in the stroller more, but DH likes his breaks.

Read up on Rider Swap, so all the adults can ride everything with as little wait as possible.

We actually didn't change our touring much when DS was a baby, but we go pretty frequently, so skipping stuff isn't a big deal. He was always awake super early anyway, so Rope Drop was easy. Then we used FP or Single Rider lines, so I've never actually done Rider Swap.

Make sure you understand child swap on rides.
Bring a lightweight blanket to cover the stroller for naps or to give extra shade from sun.
Consider renting a stroller, we like kingdom strollers. Unless yours works best! They give you a cooler which is handy if you plan on bringing your own dr inks or snacks. Make sure you have a rain cover and leave the stroller covered if you're inside on no ride and it looks cloudy.
If you wear the baby at all that is somehitng people say works well for them.
Don't forget they can get over stimulated, give lots of rest and free time to walk or crawl around when you can.
For grandma, see if she has any issue with the massive amount of walking and standing, if so consider renting a scooter/ECV. Made my moms trip possible last time! At home she's ok but this was another thing entirely.

Just went in April the week before mine turned one. It wss great! Rider swap is something you definitely easy to use ... You guys could essentially double your FP+ alottment. Also use single rider lines where available.

We did a few ts meals and loved them. Time to relax and baby eats free.

We let him take morning nap in stroller and then went to resort for afternoon naps. We stayed late for the MSEP but not Wishes. If you have an ergo bring that too -- baby can ride in it on child friendly rides.

Bring a cooler with snacks for baby. Pack a large diaper bag to leave in stroller then take a smaller backpack with you on rides with one diaper and the essentials so it's not too heavy.

Go with the flow and enjoy!

Its not for everyone, but my small 16 month old (at the time) was great in a baby bjorn (or any brand baby carrier).. many go up to 35lbs (obviously she wasn't there yet and I am not sure how awesome of a time the person carrying a 35lb child all day would have....).but it was SUPER easy for things like buses, monorails, and she was pretty much already attached and ready to go on rides where you hold small babies anyway...then again, I had a 3 yr old and 5 yr old so there were also strollers in tow to lay her in at nap times. May not be an ideal situation to only have baby carriers with no stroller...but then...why would you have both if its only ONE child?...umm...nevermind...please dont put this under the Worst Advice You Ever Got thread :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter