Advice for those of you with Nov/Dec trips booked

Speaking of Florida winter weather . . . .

How does Disney handle opening rides like Splash and Kali? I was thinking about our Fastpass selections and wondered how smart it is to fastpass rides like that in the winter.

I was thinking that they typically keep them open unless the weather drops below x degrees, but not sure. Any other ride closures on cold days?

Anyone ridden these water rides on really cold days?

It is not just water rides that are affected by the cold. Expedition Everest can only run if the temp is above a certain point, otherwise the wheels get to stuck to the track. In 2010 it got really really cold that December. While waiting in line for Everest my dad and I noticed only one train was running. The CM at the loading point explained to us that each train had to warm up or else there was the very real possibility of getting stuck out on the track.

We have been twice in November and twice in December. It has been a mixed bag on each trip. Even our late February honeymoon trip saw temps of 80 degrees one day and then 50 with sideways rain the next day. Layers are your friend! And some lightweight ponchos. All of the holiday decorations more than make up for the unpredictable weather, though! :)

I haven't read every response, but as most of have said, we bring a little of everything from shorts to gloves. This yr we are bringing along a few handwarmers. You know the one that you shake to activate. Put a couple in pants pocket and jacket pocket to add a little heat.

Last yr it was pretty cold watching Christmas processional. I had brought along one of those cheapy ponchos just to wrap around me to keep body heat trapped. I looked stupid, but at least it was a warm stupid.

Sorry I didn't see it above thanks for filling me in!

I replied to most of that question two posts above, but here it is again :)

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/locker-rentals/
$8-10 per day depending on size plus a refundable $5 key deposit. All info in the link above :)

You don't need quarters. You rent at the kiosk the full price plus the key deposit. Once you're finished you return the key to them with your receipt and they will refund you the deposit. If you are hopping make sure you keep that receipt so that you can show it at the next park and only have to pay the key deposit.

Going right after Thanksgiving through first week in December in 2016 and I will be prepared with layers. A nice toasty hooded sweatshirt to put over other shirts, a hat and gloves will top the list. Never took gloves in mid November trips but I could have used them a time or two!

One of the main staples in my day-to-day wardrobe is the Champion 'super hoodie'. Thickest, heaviest hoodie on the market- and it can be used in place of a jacket on most days- even in winter on many of the days. Mention this because there was one year when the hoodie wasn't enough for a couple of days at WDW in early December. This year I am taking one of my super hoodies (I have 5) for most of the trip, but also taking a jacket just in case. We live in the desert southwest now, whereas we used to make the trek to WDW from PA- so going to be safe rather than sorry.

We are bringing shorts, capris, jeans, short and long sleeved shirts and sweatshirts/hoodies... sneakers, sandals, flip flops! We are driving down from Western NY so we have room in the minivan, plus we'll be "bundled up" on our drive down. We were there 4 years ago in November (around Veteran's Day) to celebrate my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary (they went to DW on their honeymoon when it opened) and I remember wearing capris during the day and jeans/sweatshirts at night. We are attending our first MVMCP on 11/17 and plan to layer up with long sleeve shirts under our matching Christmas tees we made for the party and are putting sweatshirts in the lockers. We figured we would just wear jeans with our tees upon entry at 4 pm, keep the long sleeve tees in our backpacks to change into under our tees during our wait for the 7Ds and then grab the sweatshirts before finding a spot for the fireworks. I feel like I have never packed so much for a vacation... there are 6 of us! But, thank goodness we have a washer/dryer right in our room. YAY!

Like others here, I get cold just being in a room that is a little too "air conditioned", so preparing for winter weather in Florida is tricky, especially when luggage room is limited. Our last December trip I packed a pair of thermal leggings (they look like footless tights), and ended up wearing them under my jeans in the mornings. Easily took them off later in the day and put into my crossbody bag, and can put them back on again at night if necessary. That little layer of extra warmth made a huge difference.

All depends on which part of the country you are coming from. We are from northern Wis. We are going to WDW the 1st week of December and gone at the same time almost every year for almost 20 years. We never bring any of the thermo clothes. We are not the ones that a pp said that would be seen freezing in shorts not realizing how cold it can be there. It has been chilly to us but not cold.
Another pp said it's not the same running from your car to the house vs standing waiting for a parade again it depends where you are from and what are you used to. Where we come from you have to get used to it fast. In all the years we have gone to WDW it has gotten down to freezing in the morning and at night and did put pants on but never put on anything heavy.
What bothers us is when it gets 80 plus that's too hot coming from where we do. An example is our trip in December 2013.The only part of the country above freezing was in Florida and it avg. 75 plus for the whole time we were there. We left Orlando airport and it was 80 out at noon. We landed at Green Bay and it was 20 below!! That didn' count on the wind chill. So my main point is it depends on where you come from and your mind set and tolerance

We were there the week before Thanksgiving last year and it was quite cold several days that week. Luckily we were prepared but it still shocked us. With the clouds and wind, it made for few tough days.

It was SO cold! Our worst day was walking around Epcot. It was completely cloudy and windy and we could not get away from it! Made a LOT of hot cocoa breaks

Sherkyll, we're going the same time this coming February. Any advice on what to pack? We live in Wisconsin so I'll wear shorts if it's 60 and above.

Great thread. The plus side to Nov/Dec is the crowds are manageable (except for holidays per se) and that the weather is NOT so hot you get grumpy. the downside is the unpredictability. It is hard to pack more stuff but smart. If you are from the north, you may not need the layers. If you live in the south, you WILL need to bring "just in case" warmth which is a pain (I like travelling light), but it is necessary in order to enjoy the trip. Layers (cami, t-shirt, sweater, jacket). Slingbacks work well as a lightweight bag. We also brought cheap gloves/hats. I even brought some mylar foil-looking "blankets" which fold into small squares (marathon runners use them after a race).

My mom and I learned that the hard way in mid November 1996. The first couple days were in the 80's. Then a cold front went through and the rest of the trip was only highs in the 60's and got cold at night. We had to buy sweatshirts, I can't remember how many pairs of long pants we had. Starting in 1998, we went every year in early December until 2004, she passed away in September 2005. We had a wide variety of weather. Some years were nice and warm the whole time, another time it was highs in the 60's the whole time, other times a mix. We learned to carefully watch the forecast before final packing. A couple trips we brought light winter coats and gloves for evening. I remember watching Wishes for the first time and my teeth chattering in middle of Main Street. Daytime isn't bad if the sun is out and it's in the 60's. Once it gets dark it gets cold if the temp is below 60, especially if you are outdoors for something like Candlelight Processional. I'm going this year, I'm hoping it will be warm.

We avoided the water rides when picking FP. But fortunately for us is was unseasonably warm two years ago the first week of December and we were in short sleeves the entire visit. But we had back ups if we needed them!

I hope same thing this year!

I remember our first trip in '93, going in Dec. and having to buy sweatshirts for everybody because it was freezing! Another trip we brought our hats,scarves and gloves and bundled up to huddle under the big heat lamps that were set up all over DTD. It's kinda fun if you're prepared for it. What really makes me laugh is when it is in the low 70's there and all the CMs are bundled up. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter