Advice for distracting a fussy 13 month old on plane and lines?

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
We are leaving next weekend for a week at AKV with my 2 13 month old granddaughters. One of them gets very fussy/tantrum when she's had enough. We only have a 2 hour plane ride, but we will be waiting in the terminal before (obviously) and then taking ME. Are toys with buttons that talk/noise irritate other travelers? I'm hoping that there are enough of us to entertain her and that the new experiences of the week be enough to keep her looking around and quiet. We;ll bring favorite books, Cheerios, ? We'll have a double umbrella stroller that they both sleep in if tired enough, though it doesn't recline all the way. The fussy one is a pretty big baby but her mom will hold her in a carrier.

Just wondering what others do during their vacations to keep little ones happy without irritating vacationers around you.

Thanks!

As far as the toys, it depends on how loud. Some toys you can hardly hear, other toys you can hear on the other side of the house. I would not want to be sitting in front of a toy loudly beeping for 30 mins in a row. A plane is noisy enough that a little beep like they might have in a teething toy isn't much. Last we we at DGS house and a toy fell on another toy and it kept beeping for 20 mins until we dug out the right toy to shut it off. It was driving us crazy.

Do you have a tablet? My grandkids like to do puzzles , pop balloons, read books (that do things, like you touch the cloud , it rains and flowers grow), even coloring. I don't agree with sitting a kid in front of a screen for hours at a time, but there are times it's handy.

Here are a few tips that we learned traveling with little ones.

First lets talk about the stroller, for DH and I no way would we have done the umbrella stroller at this age, for a couple of reasons, using the larger stroller gave them some where to laydown if needed, delayed planes, long lines through security, secondly it was familiar to them, and lastly we could use the underneath storage area for their stuff which helped with carry on's and their day bags, also if you end up carrying them the kid's, you have a bigger spot to put your stuff. Also you will want their regular stroller in the parks so just bite the bullet on this issue.

Try to get TSA pre checked this will help with the lines.

Once you get airside, look for an empty area that the kid's can get out of the stroller and run around in this case toddle around, We would get airside and DH would find a empty area that the kids would get out and burn off some energy before boarding the plane, including walking all over with them we would take turns walking around with them. Also with more adults than kiddos' you can do what we did a few times, My mom and I would board with the stroller, and carry on's and the kids back packs, then DH and my Dad would wait to board almost at the last minute to give the girls every chance to burn off the energy before having to sit for 2 hours. Mom and I would be ready with the supplies for the kids, so when the came down the aisle they hand them in, sit down and everything was go to go.

Make sure to change them right before you board, trying to change a baby on a plane is really hard. I have had to do it but I took a tip from a friend and used pull ups so I did not have to lay them down to change them, it was awkward but I did manage it, and it was so much easier getting the pull up off and on then fighting with a diaper. make sure to have a diaper bag to tie up the dirty diaper the other passenger will appreciate it... Limit the apple juice or anything that seems to make them go poopie right away.

Bring on the I pad's, with games and movies, now is not the time to be worrying about screen time... its about getting from point A to point B without a full on meltdown.

Bring a variety of their favorite snacks. Buy bottled water and juice airside for everyone, it was a life saver when we got stuck out on the runway for 20 minutes.

Bring new toys that they have never played with, just small items should keep them busy and only give them to them on the plane.

There is always a discussion about med's and giving them to children when flying. This is something that maybe your DD should discuss with the kids doctor. Also if they are noise sensitive maybe some head phones... if you go with them let them use them before you go, so they are familiar with them, they also work great during the fireworks.

my child screamed nonstop her first year of life. took her on plane to Florida at 13 months. severe anxiety, super prepped...snacks, tablet, games, etc....

she was a completely different child during travel. loved every minute.

But best to prep for the worst.

We took my daughter to disney when she was 16 months. First time on a plane, so I had no idea what to expect! I was super stressed. Definitely let them free before you board. Our airport had a play area for little ones, which was great. I carried her through the airport in a baby carrier. That way I had my hands free for luggage. Once we started to board, she screamed. And she continued to scream until take off. I was sweating bullets! As soon as we took off she passed out. I brought those gel window clings, and those kept her busy for a little bit. Stickers, cups, post its! Stupid things kept her busy, not toys. Go figure. She could have cared less about electronics at that age. Our flight was 3 hours, and by the time we landed she was done and so was I. Flight back home was pretty much the same. Screamed until take off. Good luck!

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I doubt the parents will want to take the regular strollers since we will be doing buses to get everywhere, but I will suggest. My double umbrella is a "deluxe" one with pockets and reclines a little, but I totally understand where the nicer stroller would be better when they want to nap. The nice thing about the double is that I can walk with both girls while their parents do attractions that I don't do - at least I can walk around with them both. It has canopies and I bought the vinyl cover for rain and mesh with sun protection...

Great airport/airplane suggestions! New diaper before boarding and holding off boarding until last is great! So true about toys not being entertaining - both girls are much more interested in other items.

Toys that make noise are beyond irritating to other travelers. Also, PLEASE do not play videos or games with the volume on. One thing that did work for us when our son was a toddler is too actually get to the airport with plenty of time and let him walk around as much as possible before it was time to sit on the plane. And another vote for NOT board the plane first. The least amount of time the toddlers are confined to their seat the better.

Post it notes ... window clings ... stuff that they can do on the tray in front of them ... kids like to stick things and pull them up. Cheap, no real mess, doesn't annoy people around you.

Toys that make noise are beyond irritating to other travelers. Also, PLEASE do not play videos or games with the volume on. One thing that did work for us when our son was a toddler is too actually get to the airport with plenty of time and let him walk around as much as possible before it was time to sit on the plane. And another vote for NOT board the plane first. The least amount of time the toddlers are confined to their seat the better.

I'd only board first if it was Southwest, nothing worse than playing the "can we switch seats" game...

Here are a few tips that we learned traveling with little ones.

First lets talk about the stroller, for DH and I no way would we have done the umbrella stroller at this age, for a couple of reasons, using the larger stroller gave them some where to laydown if needed, delayed planes, long lines through security, secondly it was familiar to them, and lastly we could use the underneath storage area for their stuff which helped with carry on's and their day bags, also if you end up carrying them the kid's, you have a bigger spot to put your stuff. Also you will want their regular stroller in the parks so just bite the bullet on this issue.

Try to get TSA pre checked this will help with the lines.

Once you get airside, look for an empty area that the kid's can get out of the stroller and run around in this case toddle around, We would get airside and DH would find a empty area that the kids would get out and burn off some energy before boarding the plane, including walking all over with them we would take turns walking around with them. Also with more adults than kiddos' you can do what we did a few times, My mom and I would board with the stroller, and carry on's and the kids back packs, then DH and my Dad would wait to board almost at the last minute to give the girls every chance to burn off the energy before having to sit for 2 hours. Mom and I would be ready with the supplies for the kids, so when the came down the aisle they hand them in, sit down and everything was go to go.

Make sure to change them right before you board, trying to change a baby on a plane is really hard. I have had to do it but I took a tip from a friend and used pull ups so I did not have to lay them down to change them, it was awkward but I did manage it, and it was so much easier getting the pull up off and on then fighting with a diaper. make sure to have a diaper bag to tie up the dirty diaper the other passenger will appreciate it... Limit the apple juice or anything that seems to make them go poopie right away.

Bring on the I pad's, with games and movies, now is not the time to be worrying about screen time... its about getting from point A to point B without a full on meltdown.

Bring a variety of their favorite snacks. Buy bottled water and juice airside for everyone, it was a life saver when we got stuck out on the runway for 20 minutes.

Bring new toys that they have never played with, just small items should keep them busy and only give them to them on the plane.

There is always a discussion about med's and giving them to children when flying. This is something that maybe your DD should discuss with the kids doctor. Also if they are noise sensitive maybe some head phones... if you go with them let them use them before you go, so they are familiar with them, they also work great during the fireworks.
Great tips! I used to think "What terrible parenting!" when I saw so many children watching movies or playing screen/video games on flights. Then when I had kids I became a convert - the Ipad is a lifesaver on flights!

We flew to Orlando with DS when he was 23 months, so he is a little bit older but I worried about this too. We also had DD who was 4 at the time. One thing that worked well was to separate them so there was one adult on each kid. Divide and conquer. My husband and son sat directly behind my daughter and I. I think the one on one attention helped. The tablets were also by far a life saver. For their Christmas this year they are both getting Kids Kindle Fires as a precursor for our April trip. They'll be 6 & 3 then, but they really do keep them occupied. We have inexpensive kid headphones from Amazon, or you can get them at the dollar tree sometimes.

If you bring snacks, try to bring something they have never had before... instead of Cheerios for instance, do the Annie's Bunny crackers (if possible, not sure how many teeth they have yet), or any other toddler friendly snack that they might not have seen before to peak their interest. Same for books, pick up a few they have never seen before instead of one they have over and over (unless it is something that you know really brings comfort).

Not sure if they have a pacifier, but if they do, have it ready. Especially during take off as their little ears pop. Put it in their mouth and pull it out over and over on the way up. If not no worries, maybe have a sippy cup ready with some juice... anything to help them swallow.

I had bags FULL of coloring books, snacks, magnet games, and even the window clings... but they really were just happy on their tablets the whole time. In fact my husband and I colored most of the flight. :D

As a single mom of 2 i travelled to Disney 3x with them between ages 2&8. I always had 1 in stroller and 1 held onto stroller handle. My kids were great travellers and i brought snacks and lots of activities to keep them busy. I always travelled with benadryl and pften used it an hr before we boarded. We always left home at 430am and so they were exhausted.

Yes. Very irritating. Bring toys that don't talk or make noise. If you use a tablet or phone to watch a movie, bring earphones or keep it on mute. Bring favorite snacks, play games with them, or read a book with them.

IMHO- I disagree. Toys don't bother me much and if it is making a kid be behave for their parents even better. But that's just me. Ipads or tablets on the other hand- get some child friendly headphones please.

Don't stress too much. We always pack a bunch of stuff to occupy our kids and they barely use it most of the time.

I've found people are very understanding on flights to Orlanda bc it is a lot of families.

THIS is the single best advise for flying with young kids. DO NOT PREBOARD THEM. The 2 hour flight is long enough, don't add 30 minutes to the beginning. One of us always got on and got set up. The other boarded as final boarding was called.

I have flown a number of times with my son. Here are my suggestions:
- have kiddo drink something during take off and landing to help with ear "popping" during elevation changes (older kids and adults can chew gum)
- bring a tablet with headphones and plenty of movies and games loaded
- have a couple brand new toys in your bag that kiddo has never seen before
- walk and exercise as much as possible when not confined to the airplane seat, do NOT keep a kid in a stroller the whole time in an airport
- don't try to sit at the emergency exits and don't try to install a carseat on the aisle
- safest way for babies and toddlers to travel is in a FAA approved carseat, do your research and know before you go

One flight when DD was 23 months old - I entertained her the entire 2 hour flight by having her put stickers all over me, my arms, face, etc. She laughed and kept her busy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter