advice for cruising out of San Juan, Puerto Rico

spencertracy1976

Earning My Ears
We are planning to book an April 2017 Magic sailing out of San Juan. I have cruised DCL out of Port Canaveral and Miami but never San Juan. For anyone who has cruised out of San Juan please share your experience with regards to flights in, transfers from airport to port, and any info on Southern Carribean Ports. Thanks!

we always fly in the day prior and get a hotel. There are fewer flights to SJ, so chances of a missed cruise are greater. It's a lovely place, and worth an extra day to explore. We just take a cab to the hotel and then a cab to old san juan for dinner. The Caribe Hilton has a very nice, self-contained complex with a lagoon/beach area. You could stay there and spend a very nice day, eat there or eat in old san juan, then cab the next day to the ship. We have also stayed at Stellaris Marriott, which has a beach area (windy when we were there), and the Sheraton Old San Juan (more for walking around San Juan). San Juan during the day has many tourists and is very safe IMHO. At night, I have never felt unsafe in the central old town area, as there are many upscale restuarants with patrons. I would not walk from the Hilton to old san juan or too far outside of the Marriott.

I did the Southern Caribbean last September with my DD and her family who live in PR. I stayed in the Sheraton Old San Juan the night before my cruise which was very nice and nicely located. Unfortunately the ship docked at Pan American but it was neat to be able to go to the top of the hotel and see the ship in port that morning. I used the taxi both from the airport and to the port and had no problems. The taxis are on a grid system but you should always check the price before getting into the cab. You can check taxisanjuan.com for information and rates. I love El Morro and the history there is just great. You sail pass the forts on the way in and out of the port of course. I did not regret staying in Old San Juan as opposed to the Pan American port. FYI the check-in was not up to Disney standards and the Captain greeted us as we boarded the ship. He was not happy with the long delay to board. It was their first time out of San Juan in a long time. Hopefully things got better for the next cruises. My family was thrilled to be doing the Southern Caribbean and we got off at every port and did an excursion in the morning then my DD and DSIL went back to wander the ports to get a feel for the islands. My DSIL came home with a collection for beers from each port and then had to figure out how to carry them home in already filled luggage. LOL Hope you enjoy your cruise and SAn Juan!

I have cruised out of San Juan twice and visit often (have family there). I would suggest arriving at least the day before. There's a lot to see and I would be nervous if there's a delay or if I missed the flight. Few flights get in the morning from the US, so you would be cutting it close, especially during daylight savings when they are one hour ahead.

Old San Juan is a great place to stay. Lots of history, interesting colonial architecture, restaurants, and shops. There's plenty to do and see for a full day. Second choice would be on the beach in Isla Verde (near airport). There are other things to do within an hour of SJU if you decide to arrive more than a day before: sailing and snorkeling to off shore cays, paddle boarding, rainforest, etc.

I like the Southern Carib itineraries a lot. I find the little islands very cute, and it's truly the Caribbean. Water is warm (unlike the Bahamas).

Thank you all for the tips. I will certainly arrive on Friday verses Saturday when it sails. Can one of you explain the Pan American Port reference? Are there multiple cruise ports in San Juan?

ships that stop for the day can usually dock right in old SJ--that's what the Fantasy did when we went for a port stop. Ships embarking will be at Pan A, which is a commerical port, not near anything--you must take a taxi to get there ($20 or so). You will be at Pan A.

Yep, you'll be at Pan American. Which is over near the airport, and not in Old San Juan where the daystop port is.

Check out a mapping site (google, etc) for the area, and you'll see the difference between those two ports. Close together if you had a boat, but by car it's a bit of a trek (relatively).

Since most (all?) SJ cruises leave in the evening, and many ships let you onboard around noon, that's a long day on a docked ship (not my most fave thing in the world...the motion is all wrong) OR a nice day of being a tourist.

The Pan American pier is an industrial port, located about 5 minutes by cab from the regular Old San Juan pier. It's not my favorite in San Juan, but both RCCL cruises have departed from here. I suspect the overnight docking fees are cheaper.

Actually, the Pan American is not close to the main airport. It's close to a regional airport called Isla Grande. It's close to the new Convention Center and not too far from the Condado area. The Caribe Hilton is a short cab ride away, as is Old San Juan.

There are two ways to go from the Pan American pier to Old San Juan. The main way is going North, which is the way if you want to be dropped off at any of the main 16th Century Forts (El Morro or San Cristobal). The other way is shorter - going through the south route to the old San Juan pier (muelles). South way is not scenic, but it's shorter, if you don't mind tracking up to the forts.

Found the fare info. It should be no more than $12 to go from the Pan American pier to Old San Juan pier (going between Zone 4 and Zone 5):
http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/getting-around-by-taxi/
Edit to add that taxis and fares are regulated. There's a picture of a cab with its logo in that link.

Last edited:
We are sailing from San juan on Jan 10 on the Wonder. We have nonstop flights both ways flying out of Chicago. We are flying out on the 8th and staying at an embassy suites in a two bedroom suite for the five of us. We will probably get a car and drive out to the national park ehich is supposed to be lovely. Even though the cruise doesn't leave until 9 pm we will probably get on early and enjoy the pool before it gets crowded. We have a flight on the 17th thst leaves at 145 pm.

Thanks all makes total sense now. We had one ported at Old San Juan so that is where I assumed we would go out of. We did an excursion to the fort and loved it! Booked my cruise officially this morning! Can't wait. Thanks for all the great advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter