Advice - DVC Resale

tararoo

Earning My Ears
Hello all -

I've been interested in DVC membership for some time, and have finally decided to seriously look into DVC resale.

My husband and I don't have children, so we would only need a deluxe studio, and we're not restricted to school vacations - most likely we'd be traveling during value season. We're only looking to travel to WDW every other year or every 3 years (so would most likely bank points) - so with the research I've done on the point costs at various resorts, we should be all set with 50-75 points per year.

I am seeing some great deals on Hilton Head ownerships, so I was wondering about going in that direction...

I understand that this means to book at any WDW resort we'd be limited to what is available at 7 months out - I am interested in trying any/all of them, so I'm not too concerned about what we may be restricted to (especially during value season) - is there any other disadvantage that as a newbie I am not seeing, to purchasing at a resort we don't actually plan on visiting much? I read that the annual dues are a little higher at HH and VB because of their coastal locations, but that doesn't look to be too much more. Anything else that might be a concern?

I'm actually thinking the 11 month advantage might be helpful if we ever decide to visit HH during the summer months. But being that my husband is not a beach person (sadly!) I'm guessing we'd only visit there once or twice at most.

Your advice is appreciated - don't want to make any regrettable mistakes and end up on a resale board myself.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Only you can determine which direction to go. Do a numbers comparison looking at the next 20years, including buy in, dues with a 4% increase, and trying to figure out which resort may be your favorite.

What if you stay at HH, pay the higher dues and decide that WDW is where you want to be, you will be paying HH higher dues until you sell. What if you decide that VGF is the resort that makes your expensive luxury DVC purchase worth it, and you can't book there at 7 months?

If you make a mistake, sell and start over.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you I appreciate your feedback! Just want to make sure there wasn't anything else I wasn't considering.

I just checked the 2015 dues... if I was going to purchase at a WDW hotel it would most likely be AKL. Their 2015 dues compared to HH are pretty close actually, if this is accurate... ?

- Animal Kingdom Villas (AKV): $6.2989/point, up 5.4%
- Hilton Head Island (HHI): $6.519/point, up 3.7%

My husband and I don't have children, so we would only need a deluxe studio, and we're not restricted to school vacations - most likely we'd be traveling during value season.
You should research more on DVC seasons, they do not correspond to the Disney resort seasons. Summer and spring break are actually pretty easy to book. The last 3 months of the year are the most popular times.

Their 2015 dues compared to HH are pretty close actually, if this is accurate... ?

Yes. AKV's advantage are value rooms (almost always the cheapest) and Club Level rooms (5 sets of 2bedrooms). If you don't care about either of those, I'd buy SSR and book the standard AKV rooms.

Also, I thought I had read somewhere that there's additional closing cost for HHI. On a small contract, that could eat up the cheaper buy-in compared to SSR.

oops, yes I did look into that - I meant "adventure" season.

you're correct there is a closing cost listed, I assumed that was a requirement for all dvc purchases, I'll look into that more -thanks!

Thank you I appreciate your feedback! Just want to make sure there wasn't anything else I wasn't considering.

I just checked the 2015 dues... if I was going to purchase at a WDW hotel it would most likely be AKL. Their 2015 dues compared to HH are pretty close actually, if this is accurate... ?

AKV doesn't have availability issues like some resorts and the animal care is expensive. HH IMO will have higher dues due to being remote from WDW, the ocean elements are hard on the buildings and paint, bad weather, floods, and hurricanes are more likely to hit HH or VB.

such a tough decision! I guess I'm not ready to commit, I'll wait and see what other 50-75 pt resale packages come up...

The general consensus is that SSR is the most cost effective resort to buy resale if you don't care where you want to stay (no specific resort preference)....

oops, yes I did look into that - I meant "adventure" season.

you're correct there is a closing cost listed, I assumed that was a requirement for all dvc purchases, I'll look into that more -thanks!

Just to make certain that you are understanding correctly - the DVC seasons and lower cost points really have little to do with today's popular times. If you mean the adventure season in Jan or Sept then yes, that's relatively easy to book at 7 months. If you mean December adventure season then you may very possibly be staying at whatever resort you own at. It's very popular and books up early.

If you do decide that DVC works for you then I'd either buy SSR - assuming it's a resort you are ok staying at if you can't book something else at 7 months - or else buy at the resort you most prefer. For a small contract of 50-75 points the dues difference between resorts is not going to be a relatively large amount.

Last edited:
SSR is the best buy in your situation. Reasonable cost, second lowest dues, and a 2054 end date compared to the 2042 end date at HH. Booking at seven months is relatively easy the majority of the time at any resort.

Hello all -

I've been interested in DVC membership for some time, and have finally decided to seriously look into DVC resale.

My husband and I don't have children, so we would only need a deluxe studio, and we're not restricted to school vacations - most likely we'd be traveling during value season. We're only looking to travel to WDW every other year or every 3 years (so would most likely bank points) - so with the research I've done on the point costs at various resorts, we should be all set with 50-75 points per year.

I am seeing some great deals on Hilton Head ownerships, so I was wondering about going in that direction...

I understand that this means to book at any WDW resort we'd be limited to what is available at 7 months out - I am interested in trying any/all of them, so I'm not too concerned about what we may be restricted to (especially during value season) - is there any other disadvantage that as a newbie I am not seeing, to purchasing at a resort we don't actually plan on visiting much? I read that the annual dues are a little higher at HH and VB because of their coastal locations, but that doesn't look to be too much more. Anything else that might be a concern?

I'm actually thinking the 11 month advantage might be helpful if we ever decide to visit HH during the summer months. But being that my husband is not a beach person (sadly!) I'm guessing we'd only visit there once or twice at most.

Your advice is appreciated - don't want to make any regrettable mistakes and end up on a resale board myself.

Thanks!

Hilton Head DVC is quite wonderful. However, keep in mind that the highest point on Hilton Head Island is 25 feet above sea level. Ask people at the Jersey Shore that always said "it will never happen". Same with Vero Beach....the buy in costs look good, but the dues can change because of storm damage and all that.

That being said....if you are not tied to kids and school schedules.....SSR probably seems like a good choice. Cheaper to buy resale...easy to change out at 7 months if you are not looking at the "busy" seasons. Then again, for a couple like yourselves, SSR could be a great home resort....you can walk over to Disney Springs....lots of wonderful places to eat and things going on. SSR is a great relaxing type of place. And if you want to go to a park, hop on the bus. I know from experience that doing WDW without kids is much more relaxing and easier. Not really important about how quickly you can get back to your room for kid naps and all that. SSR (and Old Key West) are not theme park friendly because of the bus service, although thousands of families make it work and are very adept at breaking down their strollers in seconds to get on a bus...very impressive.

AKV...another nice resort with lots of resale. And another resort that needs to take a bus to any theme park. But a very relaxing and "resorty" type of place to stay.

Keep doing your research and ask questions. Good luck.

Thanks for all your advice! I have been doing a ton of research - my husband and I decided that any resort at WDW would make more sense as our home resort, just in case we do want to go at a busier time, we'll at least have a home advantage there. And the weather/dues concerns at HH were a good point!

Today a great deal popped up today for 50 pts at Old Key West, and now we're officially under contract, to close in October. :)

I actually almost went for one at Saratoga Springs, and I know the annual fees are slightly less there, but I actually really like the atmosphere at OKW better, having walked through there before (I am a sucker for real Key West, and I like the more tropical vibe), and since we don't have kids yet to pass DVC on to, the shorter contract length was actually more appealing. I'm not sure I'll be doing WDW when I'm in my 80s ;) I can reconsider closer to then!

Just to make certain that you are understanding correctly - the DVC seasons and lower cost points really have little to do with today's popular times. If you mean the adventure season in Jan or Sept then yes, that's relatively easy to book at 7 months. If you mean December adventure season then you may very possibly be staying at whatever resort you own at. It's very popular and books up early.

If you do decide that DVC works for you then I'd either buy SSR - assuming it's a resort you are ok staying at if you can't book something else at 7 months - or else buy at the resort you most prefer. For a small contract of 50-75 points the dues difference between resorts is not going to be a relatively large amount.

Yes, that is what I meant - I really enjoy traveling to Disney in September, being from the Northeast, it extends our "summer weather" a little bit longer - the whole month being considered adventure season (and lower points to stay) is perfect for us! Good to know that even though December is part of adventure season, it may be harder to book. We should be ok. And if we do want to go closer to christmas, I'll be ok if we have to stay at OKW.

It hits strong when you buy your first annual pass, and instead of going twice 51 weeks apart you go four times in one year. And then still want to go more!!!!

Yep! This is me... went 4 times between April and May, 3 consecutive weekends, within 2 weeks, purchased my annual pass (already planned to purchase it earlier this year), then DVC and planned and booked a trip for September and November and hoping to use DVC January 2016 and February 2016. My DVC contract is still in ROFR and I'm already thinking of how I can get some more cash to buy more points since I fear I may not have enough for 2016!

It doesn't help (or does it?) that I live 2 hrs from Disney and already made a 1/2 day trip to pick up my annual pass (couldn't stay since I had a meeting in Orlando at the time).

If this OP had 2 kids say ages 7 and 12, planning on every other year week long vacations to WDW and possible occasional shorter says (day or 2 before/after cruise), would any of these suggestions change much? I was going to ask this similar question but didn't want to start a new thread if I could get basically the same answers here. I also feel resale would be the way to go for us.

If this OP had 2 kids say ages 7 and 12, planning on every other year week long vacations to WDW and possible occasional shorter says (day or 2 before/after cruise), would any of these suggestions change much? I was going to ask this similar question but didn't want to start a new thread if I could get basically the same answers here. I also feel resale would be the way to go for us.
If you want week-long stays, I would suggest buying where you don't mind staying. The more nights you need to find, the harder the availability issues hit.

Only you can determine which direction to go. Do a numbers comparison looking at the next 20years, including buy in, dues with a 4% increase, and trying to figure out which resort may be your favorite.

What if you stay at HH, pay the higher dues and decide that WDW is where you want to be, you will be paying HH higher dues until you sell. What if you decide that VGF is the resort that makes your expensive luxury DVC purchase worth it, and you can't book there at 7 months?

If you make a mistake, sell and start over.

You suggest to sell and start over. How quickly/long does a resale usually take?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter