Advice... Delta changed flight & added connections

2xcited2sleep

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Not a frequent traveler and looking for some advice. Purchased flights for Sept trip on Delta through Travelocity way back in March.

Got an email last night that the flights have been changed. Take-off adjusted by ~ an hour (not a big deal) but a connection added through Michigan taking me from a 2.5 hr direct flight to a ~6 hour journey each way.

Called Travelocity. There's another direct flight that day on Delta but they said "sorry, it's full." Travelocity is trying to find me something else and is supposed to call w/i 24-48 hours.

Questions:
* Anyone know if I can work directly w/ Delta or if I have to keep working through Travelocity?
* What are the rules on refunding? This seems (to me) to be a pretty significant change that I would prefer not to just accept.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Unfortunately, as the PP said, since you bought through Travelocity, you need to deal with Travelocity.

When they say it is "full" it means that they do not have anymore access to seats on that flight, not necessarily, that all seats on that flight are sold.

I quit flying with Delta for that reason. They tend to reel you in with good flights and then snatch them away as quickly with multiply stops and long layovers in between!

Good Luck!

Charleyann

Have you checked Delta's web site to get a rough idea (best you can do) of how sold out the direct flight is?

Ah, the problems of using Travelocity or Orbitz or Expedia as opposed to booking directly with the airline!

I am leaning towards getting them to refund the whole thing.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

We had a similar experience. We booked a nonstop flight BDL-MCO. When I checked my itinerary it took us off the nonstop and put us on a connection through Detroit. The weird thing was the same flight we had originally booked was still showing on the schedule. Since I am a medallion member on Delta I called the Medallion line and the person I spoke to got us back on the nonstop. Her explanation was that the original nonstop flight was actually operated by Northwest and then they switched it back to being operated by Delta, so the flight number changed. Since it was originally on Northwest the auto rebooking put us back on a Northwest flight which included a connection.
Someone at work had the same problem but she booked through Expedia. She called Delta, the regular phone number, first and they told her it would be $150 to get back onto the nonstop she had originally booked. She hung up and then my sister called back. The second person had no problem rebooking her back onto the nonstop.
I don't know if this is the same situation for you or if the nonstop flight has actually been eliminated. Check to see if the same flight you were booked on is available online just with a different flight number. Hopefully it gets resolved. Keep us updated.

I forgot to mention when my sister talked to Delta she did have to get transferred to the ticket reissue desk to finally get it switched back. The first person she spoke to understood the problem but was physically unable to switch it back.

Checking the Travelocity website (always a good thing to do), I found this:

Airline changed my flights what are my options?

* When a schedule change occurs, we will attempt to reach you by email and/or phone using the trip contact email address and phone number provided at the time of booking.
* If the airline changed your flight itinerary significantly and the new schedule doesn’t work for you,
o The airline may permit you to change your flight, or
o Receive a refund.
* Please contact the airline directly or our Customer Care Center (See "Contact Us" details below) for assistance.

http://us.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/us.c...=49&p_prods=41,49&p_pv=2.49#WhyScheduleChange

It looks like the change is less then 4 hours. That may, or may not, qualify as a significant change. It's not clear if you can get a refund. Make sure you can book flights, at a fare you can live with, before you request a refund.

Does the replacement flight you requested show as being sold out for new reservations. It's possible Delta is saving the better seats for customers that booked direct and giving the leftovers to travelocity customers.

Wait for travelocity to get back to you, if you don't like the answer you can try to call Delta direct. Some posters get lucky and some don't.

Hi,

Not a frequent traveler and looking for some advice. Purchased flights for Sept trip on Delta through Travelocity way back in March.

Got an email last night that the flights have been changed. Take-off adjusted by ~ an hour (not a big deal) but a connection added through Michigan taking me from a 2.5 hr direct flight to a ~6 hour journey each way.

Called Travelocity. There's another direct flight that day on Delta but they said "sorry, it's full." Travelocity is trying to find me something else and is supposed to call w/i 24-48 hours.

Questions:
* Anyone know if I can work directly w/ Delta or if I have to keep working through Travelocity?
* What are the rules on refunding? This seems (to me) to be a pretty significant change that I would prefer not to just accept.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Let me guess:

BDL to MCO?

Sounds like we're in the same boat...same thing happened to me.

FYI, we went to Delta, directly. They were able to make some modifications to our itinerary. However, nobody at CS could "see" the direct flight...there was a directly flight, completely empty, that they told us was empty because it was scheduled for cancellation.

Just checked my flights again. My reservation is still confirmed but when I try to book the flight again the 650am morning nonstop doesn't pop up unless I search by schedule. Only the afternoon flight shows up with a basic booking. Both nonstops are also only selling first class right now. They were only showing first class when they were able to switch us back on 3 different reservations also though so that shouldn't matter. I think it is just a matter of the system catching back up. Our 2 seats are the only ones shown as taken so I know the flight is not sold out in coach. If they can't resolve it yet I would just give it a few more days until they open the whole flight back up to booking. I don't think they would ever cancel the morning BDL-MCO flight but I guess time will tell. The person I spoke to at the medallion desk seemed like she knew what she was talking about and was able to switch us back in no time. Her explanation sounds correct. She never mentioned that the flight was going to be cancelled.

Just checked my flights again. My reservation is still confirmed but when I try to book the flight again the 650am morning nonstop doesn't pop up unless I search by schedule. Only the afternoon flight shows up with a basic booking. Both nonstops are also only selling first class right now. They were only showing first class when they were able to switch us back on 3 different reservations also though so that shouldn't matter. I think it is just a matter of the system catching back up. Our 2 seats are the only ones shown as taken so I know the flight is not sold out in coach. If they can't resolve it yet I would just give it a few more days until they open the whole flight back up to booking. I don't think they would ever cancel the morning BDL-MCO flight but I guess time will tell. The person I spoke to at the medallion desk seemed like she knew what she was talking about and was able to switch us back in no time. Her explanation sounds correct. She never mentioned that the flight was going to be cancelled.

Based on the feedback here, my wife is on the phone with Delta right now.

Flight 1221, right?

Wish us luck..your explanation sounds a heck of a lot more likely than the one we were given, yesterday!

Flight 1221 is correct. Hope you get it all figured out. After dealing with the regular delta phone number I have learned if you don't get the result you want just keep calling. It took 2 phone calls to fix out friend at works. I really do love being able to call the medallion desk. So much faster and they seem to know what is going on.

Flight 1221 is correct. Hope you get it all figured out. After dealing with the regular delta phone number I have learned if you don't get the result you want just keep calling. It took 2 phone calls to fix out friend at works. I really do love being able to call the medallion desk. So much faster and they seem to know what is going on.

We use the skymiles number, rather than the regular CS number. I'm not sure it's any better, though.

Thanks for the info....we'll see what comes of it. :)

Edit: We're on 1221!!! WHOO-HOO!!!!

Again, thanks a bunch for the info!

Thanks, all, for the info and advice. I was able to get on the direct flight as well from BDL to MCO. Phew! Thanks again! :goodvibes

My September flight, bought through travelocity, from MCO to YHZ was changed. We were flying out at 1:14pm with a layover in Detroit. It was changed to 6:30am with a connection (40min) in Alanta then a second connection in Boston.

We have a 4 year old and I was very concerned about a 40 min :scared1: connecting time. Not to mention I didn't want to be up at 3:30am on our last day at disney.

We called travelocity and they moved us to an United flight, (we fly down on united), at 3:15pm with one connection in Chicago. Much better.

Travelocity was very easy to deal with and helped with the change. When I first saw the change I thought we would get a refund and then need to find new seats (for more money) with another airline. With the change through travelocity there was no additional fee:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter