Advice Before Booking

grarsh

Mouseketeer
Hi All!

I just got back from Disney a couple weeks ago and am already obsessed with going back (even though I still need to finish my trip report).

I was thinking of taking the plunge and just booking a solo trip for my birthday in September. It would be my first solo trip though, so I'm a little nervous and would love some advice before booking reservations.

First off, how many days would you recommend for a first time solo trip? I want to do all four parks, but that's about it for my wants for the trip.

I'm also torn on booking a value vs. moderate resort. I used to have the attitude that it didn't matter because I was just sleeping and showering there, but I had an amazing experience staying at Coronado Springs and kind of want to do either the Caribbean or POFQ. I guess I'm trying to decide if it is worth it in the long run when it comes to $$$. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks! I really need some trip planning back in my life!

If your heart is set on doing all four parks (I would assume one each day) then I would plan a five day trip. Take the middle day as an off-park day to relax and do other things outside the parks. What you do depends upon your likes/dis-likes:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, RPDE, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
If you do not take the time to relax you may burn-out and not want to come again.

Marshall! Do you that solo trip for your birthday, honey! You read my Sept 2014 TR and saw what a ridiculously awesome time I had! Yes, I was nervous too, though. But trust me, you will get over it the moment you set foot on Disney! It's so excellent to be able to do what you want, when you want, how you want, no discussions, no debates. You can get to as many ROPE DROPS as you please without anybody else lollygagging about! :P

I second the above. I'm a big fan of the 2-days-on-1-day-off system. So decide how you want to do your park days, but maybe think about doing a rest day in the middle. Sleep late and enjoy your gorgeously themed moderate resort. Maybe that night, hit Downtown Disney or MNSSHP! You can do this, babe! Feel free to pick my brain if you ever want to! :hug:

I absolutely say go for it! I would recommend one full day for each park plus a full DTD day. So that would put you at about 6 nights. I am a Value Girl all the way! I can't justify the price for a Mod or deluxe. If you can afford it absolutely stay at a mod, but if its going to put a strain on you or if you can stay longer of you do value I would stay at a value. I love ASMovies, but Pop is great also.

Marshall! Do you that solo trip for your birthday, honey! You read my Sept 2014 TR and saw what a ridiculously awesome time I had! Yes, I was nervous too, though. But trust me, you will get over it the moment you set foot on Disney! It's so excellent to be able to do what you want, when you want, how you want, no discussions, no debates. You can get to as many ROPE DROPS as you please without anybody else lollygagging about! :P

I second the above. I'm a big fan of the 2-days-on-1-day-off system. So decide how you want to do your park days, but maybe think about doing a rest day in the middle. Sleep late and enjoy your gorgeously themed moderate resort. Maybe that night, hit Downtown Disney or MNSSHP! You can do this, babe! Feel free to pick my brain if you ever want to! :hug:

Billie!!! I think I'm definitely going to do it. It will be amazing to be there, and I could really use some trip planning magic in my life right now! I'm super struggling with making a decision about the resort. I just priced out the difference between a value and a moderate resort, and it's like a $500, which seems like a whole lot. I was lucky on my last trip to have the 30% off room deal. I just love the experience at the moderate resorts, but I think I may go with the value because that's a serious price difference. That other $500 could be flight and food money. I'm really hoping they do free dining in September though!

Do it!

I am taking my first solo in December for 9 days. I am honestly thinking it might be my most enjoyable trip. :)
You are going to have a blast!!

Ok, totally just booked a trip! AAAAAHHHH!!!!!

September 14-September 19
Port Orleans French Quarter

You chose one of my favorite resorts! Good choice! I will be taking my first solo trip for 10 days, November 5-14th. I always stay at Port Orleans so this time I decided since I have no one else to worry about the budget and where they want to stay... I'm booked at Wilderness Lodge! Never stayed there before but always wanted to. From reading others experiences and solo trips, I have a feeling I am not going to regret this one bit and it might be hard going back with other people lol.

You chose one of my favorite resorts! Good choice! I will be taking my first solo trip for 10 days, November 5-14th. I always stay at Port Orleans so this time I decided since I have no one else to worry about the budget and where they want to stay... I'm booked at Wilderness Lodge! Never stayed there before but always wanted to. From reading others experiences and solo trips, I have a feeling I am not going to regret this one bit and it might be hard going back with other people lol.

Wilderness Lodge sounds awesome! That's definitely on my "I need to try" list as well. I've never stayed at POFQ, but my parents swear by it and everyone I've talked to has absolutely loved it. One of the big reasons for me was also the boat option to Downtown Disney. I like having the additional transportation, and with it being a solo trip, I think I'm going to do more evening Downtown Disney stuff, where before I would usually just be in the parks all day. I need to start making a list and researching different options. I have always wanted to do Jellyrolls (I know that's not Downtown Disney), but that's kind of my big one for this trip.

I want to be able to do dining reservations and all of that stuff now! What are you thinking for your plans?

Ok, totally just booked a trip! AAAAAHHHH!!!!!

September 14-September 19
Port Orleans French Quarter
OMG OMG OMG!!! :dogdance: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

So excited you went with POFQ! I'm currently at AoA for my next trip, but once the military discounts are released over the summer, I'm going to likely upgrade to POFQ or POR myself. Pending availability at that time, of course. I'll do POR only if I can talk my aunt & uncle into paying the extra cash for the Royal Guest Rooms with me, otherwise it'll be standard rooms at POFQ! So I'm VERY much looking forward to hearing what you think of it!!! :goodvibes

OMG OMG OMG!!! :dogdance: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

So excited you went with POFQ! I'm currently at AoA for my next trip, but once the military discounts are released over the summer, I'm going to likely upgrade to POFQ or POR myself. Pending availability at that time, of course. I'll do POR only if I can talk my aunt & uncle into paying the extra cash for the Royal Guest Rooms with me, otherwise it'll be standard rooms at POFQ! So I'm VERY much looking forward to hearing what you think of it!!! :goodvibes

THANKS!!!! I am so excited but kind of mad I can't do dining reservations and fast passes yet,lol. Something to look forward to!

THANKS!!!! I am so excited but kind of mad I can't do dining reservations and fast passes yet,lol. Something to look forward to!
Haha! I soooo relate! That's why on my PTR, I'm counting down to all the important dates! And hey, at least you have Park Hours and can start planning! I have to wait until May for those! :scared: :laughing:

Haha! I soooo relate! That's why on my PTR, I'm counting down to all the important dates! And hey, at least you have Park Hours and can start planning! I have to wait until May for those! :scared: :laughing:

True story! I would be going crazy if I didn't have park hours yet! Although isn't the anticipation kind of delightful? lol!

I'm even kind of thinking about being really crazy on this trip and spending afternoons sipping drinks by the pool.

Wilderness Lodge sounds awesome! That's definitely on my "I need to try" list as well. I've never stayed at POFQ, but my parents swear by it and everyone I've talked to has absolutely loved it. One of the big reasons for me was also the boat option to Downtown Disney. I like having the additional transportation, and with it being a solo trip, I think I'm going to do more evening Downtown Disney stuff, where before I would usually just be in the parks all day. I need to start making a list and researching different options. I have always wanted to do Jellyrolls (I know that's not Downtown Disney), but that's kind of my big one for this trip.

I want to be able to do dining reservations and all of that stuff now! What are you thinking for your plans?
That all sounds awesome! I am only doing Quick Dining this trip but I am going to book a couple of early breakfast ADR's at Kona and Grand Floridian Cafe- my 2 favorite spots for breakfast in wdw! Downtown Disney is a must for me this trip. When we went in November, I skipped it completely because I didn't want to deal with the construction and swarms of people. I am not missing it this time, construction or not! I am going to take my time and spend more time at my resort also. I never get to use the pool when I go and that is a must this trip!

I just want to chime in with the "I love POFQ!" chorus! It's so pretty and charming, the small size means it's never a long walk home, and yes, if you want to go to DTD, the boat is the only way to go! (I don't mind Disney buses for the most part, but I've always had awful luck with buses to or from DTD.) Be sure you check out the POFQ Q&A thread and photo thread on the resorts board and the great portorleans.org site.

I understand how you feel, waiting for your dining and FP+ windows to open. I get to do FP+ next week (finally!) and I am thinking and rethinking everything. It's like waiting for Christmas!

Too bad you can't put your trip off a week, then Food and Wine will be happening and you can pretty much skip food reservations and eat around the world. I've been solo twice now and plan on going back solo during F&G. I've done split stays both times. The first I did two nights at Pop and 3 nights at Boardwalk, the second I did two nights at POR-Riverside and 3 nights at OKW. I got lucky and got the Boardwalk DVC just because it wasn't booked and went through AAA who got discounts at the time. The second trip I used Davids DVC rental and paid an ridiculously low price for OKW. Loved both times and am actually not looking forward to future trips with family (grown son and DIL) since I've really enjoyed doing my own thing without worrying about other peoples plans and likes.

Hey there,

I highly recommend POFQ or Riverside if you are thinking moderate accommodations. They have a great boat that travels between the two resorts and to DTD. You get two great large pools for the price of one and Boatwrights restaurant at Riverside has a large choice menu.

POFQ is a more compact resort; you can get around easily. I am staying solo at POFQ in October. This will be my 3rd solo trip and I really do enjoy the freedom. I miss sharing experiences with my favorite Disney travel partner (my sister) but we chat at night through the WiFi.

Getting FP+ sort of makes you do some planning, but within those plans you have lots of flexibility. I highly recommend it! Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter