Advice about HIPAA issue

The son doesn't need to know.

No one besides the OP and the Privacy Officer needs to know.

UNLESS the ER doc mom actually did access the records, then I'm pretty sure the hospital will take over.

And I don't think the doc is automatically "guilty". In fact, I'm pretty sure that she would not risk her license and career to participate in high school drama. But it's easy enough to find out the truth and does no harm to anyone.

Ditto

This won't end well for her son, no matter what happens. Whether she approaches the mother, or whether she requests the records, or both, he is still going to be the kid that tattled to mommy. It's already out there that he is a "baby" and a "snitch." It's just going to keep snowballing. Unfortunately, that is how teenagers are.
Please explain how the request to the hospital gets back to the school? Will the hospital notify the hospital "Dr. Mom" works that OP asked for the list of who accessed the CT scan? Then you expect Dr. Mom to tell her DD "hey, OP asked for who accessed the records", then you expect DD to further pick on OP's son? Is that how you envision it happening.

The issue I have, here, is that everyone automatically believes the mother did it, and is, basically, adopting a "guilty until proven innocent" stand. They are judging the mother (without knowing her) based on the actions of the daughter. Everyone is assuming this woman is some sort of horrible person, might she be? Yes, but she might also be a perfectly normal parent to a perfectly normal teen girl, who has no idea what crap her little princess is spewing at school.
Actually, I think people are saying "get the records". If Dr Mom isn't on the list of who accessed it, it's done.

This won't end well for her son, no matter what happens. Whether she approaches the mother, or whether she requests the records, or both, he is still going to be the kid that tattled to mommy. It's already out there that he is a "baby" and a "snitch." It's just going to keep snowballing. Unfortunately, that is how teenagers are.

The issue I have, here, is that everyone automatically believes the mother did it, and is, basically, adopting a "guilty until proven innocent" stand. They are judging the mother (without knowing her) based on the actions of the daughter. Everyone is assuming this woman is some sort of horrible person, might she be? Yes, but she might also be a perfectly normal parent to a perfectly normal teen girl, who has no idea what crap her little princess is spewing at school.

I get everyone's desire to always defend and believe your kids. I get feeling angry because your kid is hurt. As a parent, I would hope that another parent would give me the benefit of the doubt and have enough respect for me, as an adult and parent, to have a civilized discussion. I know on the Dis there is a higher than average percentage of gifted and perfect children, but having been a teenaged girl, and having a teenaged girl, I know how they can be. I would hope that a reasonable parent wouldn't, automatically, assume I was a horrible person based on my teenaged girl, acting like a teenaged girl. Just think how you (general you) would like to be treated in this situation. I would much rather a parent approach me, than make trouble on my job.

There are 3 sides to every story, this one included. What the OP's son says, what the girl says, and the truth, which is probably somewhere in between the 2 stories.

I don't think everyone here is assuming she is "guilty until proven innocent". They've simply suggested a way that she can be certain of the truth. Asking the privacy officer to investigate the validity of the rumor isn't dragging the physician's name through the mud. If the privacy officer is any kind of privacy officer, it will be handled in a confidential and professional manner, either reassuring the OP that her son's information wasn't accessed/disclosed inappropriately, or taking appropriate action if it did happen.

It's possible that the doc looked at the record - stranger HIPAA violations have occurred - there's no rhyme or reason to why people decide to snoop, even people with a lot to lose. I can also see where the daughter may have exaggerated some comment her mom made and implied her mother had knowledge that she just didn't have. The best way, and most impartial way, to find out the truth, in my opinion, would be to let the privacy officer handle it.

The son doesn't need to know.

No one besides the OP and the Privacy Officer needs to know.

UNLESS the ER doc mom actually did access the records, then I'm pretty sure the hospital will take over.

And I don't think the doc is automatically "guilty". In fact, I'm pretty sure that she would not risk her license and career to participate in high school drama. But it's easy enough to find out the truth and does no harm to anyone.

Oh, I'm fairly certain the son already knows. The OP has said he is "upset about her viewing the records." I'm sure human nature, being what it is, the OP has already informed her son, if he didn't already know, that people can't just access records. ...an I'm also sure, teens being what they are in real life, but of course NEVER on the Dis, that there has been a lot of back and forth and gossip and talk among the parties.

It's a big peeing match and adults have allowed themselves to be drug into children's drama. "My mom saw the records you're a baby and faking it." "She's no allowed to look at the records, she could lose her job, we are going to report it." I know everyone will swear their angel didn't or wouldn't or couldn't feed into the drama, but i'm pretty sure, being all normal kids, it's going back and forth.

...and as I said before, what I would hope, as a reasonable adult, is that if my little princess were going around saying crap that could make me lose my job someone would step up and inform me, not just take the attitude that I get what I deserve because my child is acting like a little witch, and that must, somehow, be my fault.

Sometimes the best way to end drama is to just let it die, and let the kiddies move on to this week's drama.

Oh, I'm fairly certain the son already knows. The OP has said he is "upset about her viewing the records." I'm sure human nature, being what it is, the OP has already informed her son, if he didn't already know, that people can't just access records. ...an I'm also sure, teens being what they are in real life, but of course NEVER on the Dis, that there has been a lot of back and forth and gossip and talk among the parties.

It's a big peeing match and adults have allowed themselves to be drug into children's drama. "My mom saw the records you're a baby and faking it." "She's no allowed to look at the records, she could lose her job, we are going to report it." I know everyone will swear their angel didn't or wouldn't or couldn't feed into the drama, but i'm pretty sure, being all normal kids, it's going back and forth.

...and as I said before, what I would hope, as a reasonable adult, is that if my little princess were going around saying crap that could make me lose my job someone would step up and inform me, not just take the attitude that I get what I deserve because my child is acting like a little witch, and that must, somehow, be my fault.

Sometimes the best way to end drama is to just let it die, and let the kiddies move on to this week's drama.

The OP's son is upset because of what the girl told him. Heck, I'd be upset if someone told me someone was mucking around my medical records.

It seems like you aren't extending the same benefit of the doubt to the op, that you give to the mom doctor.

What matters is did the girl tell the truth. No harm in finding out.

The OP's son is upset because of what the girl told him. Heck, I'd be upset if someone told me someone was mucking around my medical records.

It seems like you aren't extending the same benefit of the doubt to the op, that you give to the mom doctor.

What matters is did the girl tell the truth. No harm in finding out.

Actually, I think the son is more upset that he is being picked on and that someone offered "proof" that made maybe even more people believe the opposing side. ...but... what I meant was based on the fact that that the son is upset that someone looked in his medical records, I am pretty sure that he already knows that looking in someone's medical records is a big no-no.

I have to go with what sounds logical. To me, it sounds more logical that this is a bunch of kids being dramatic and acting like fools. Again, as a parent I would want someone to give me the benefit of the doubt, as I would them. I work in the ER, I have for years, the facts don't add up. I've never heard a doc use the term "medical concussion." I've never heard that term, period. As an ER doc, she would also know that no "scarring" would show up on a CT scan of a concussion, ever, so she wouldn't expect to see that. She would also know what the treatment recommendations would be for a concussion. It just sounds like a lot of childish bragging and teasing to me.

To be quite honest, all things considered, I would just let it go, but that's just me. My thought on the matter is someone may have looked at a digital image of my kid's brain (some days I'm not sure one exists) It wasn't like they said he had an STD or something. I would just let it go in the interest of ending all this drama. I would be like, "Look it's over, it's done. The boy got his punishment, let's move on, she's just trying to get your goat, rise above and ignore it."

badblackpug, are you a doctor? Or is your DH? I know I have read it somewhere and I think you are projecting on this thread because you can easily put yourself in the shoes of this Dr.Mom (either way--whether it is you or your DH)--esp. having a teenaged girl.

I understand what you are saying in people thinking the worst and why would the Dr. Mom risk her hard earned education etc. etc. etc. but, honestly, while you (or your DH) wouldn't do such a thing, many have expressed here that people do it. Co-workers, friends, and clients--some of the nicest people I know, actually have confessed to this in my chair. It does happen and for whatever reason, people will put themselves at risk out of curiosity. It is too bad that they will do that when they know the rules.

Hopefully she is innocent. Hopefully this daughter is just running her mouth and maybe the OP's son is being overly sensitive to his peers comments...who knows. But if the Dr. Mom did what the daughter said she did, then she deserves the consequences. The daughter will need to know that you can't run around saying such things if they aren't true or she will learn that her big mouth got her mother in BIG trouble.

To me, the teen girl saying "the CT didn't show scarring" is what makes me think she did possibly hear something from the mother. MAYBE.
But that's the thing - you will not see "scarring" on a CT for a concussion, particularly on the first day. You really won't see much of anything unless there is a fracture or bleed present. This is very well documented, and a physician would know that. So to me it sounds more like what a teenager would say than what a medical doctor would say.

http://childrenshospitalblog.org/are-ct-scans-being-overused-in-monitoring-head-injury/

(Other than that I really don't know what you guys are talking about right now and I don't have it in me to go back and read the whole thread. :p )

badblackpug, are you a doctor? Or is your DH? I know I have read it somewhere and I think you are projecting on this thread because you can easily put yourself in the shoes of this Dr.Mom (either way--whether it is you or your DH)--esp. having a teenaged girl.

I understand what you are saying in people thinking the worst and why would the Dr. Mom risk her hard earned education etc. etc. etc. but, honestly, while you (or your DH) wouldn't do such a thing, many have expressed here that people do it. Co-workers, friends, and clients--some of the nicest people I know, actually have confessed to this in my chair. It does happen and for whatever reason, people will put themselves at risk out of curiosity. It is too bad that they will do that when they know the rules.

Hopefully she is innocent. Hopefully this daughter is just running her mouth and maybe the OP's son is being overly sensitive to his peers comments...who knows. But if the Dr. Mom did what the daughter said she did, then she deserves the consequences. The daughter will need to know that you can't run around saying such things if they aren't true or she will learn that her big mouth got her mother in BIG trouble.

I am an ER nurse, my husband is a hematologist/oncologist. As I just explained, the facts don't add up. The terminology doesn't fit, the CT "findings" don't fit. It doesn't ring true to me. I also have a teenager and I do know how they can act, and I will freely admit that mine, in the very least is not above a little embellishment to earn points.

Do people look into people's records that aren't authorized to do it? Every day. I have seen all kinds of people get fired for it. Docs, nurses, registration, secretaries. In this case, given the info the OP did, it doesn't ring true to me. To me it seems like a kid trying to get another kid's goat.

Again, yes, the daughter needs to know how serious of an accusation this is, which is why I would approach the mother on a personal basis. If something didn't seem genuine about the mother, or she seemed cagey or hostile, I might take it from there.

I can't believe this debate is still raging. Does anyone actually know what OP decided to do?

Do people look into people's records that aren't authorized to do it? Every day. I have seen all kinds of people get fired for it. Docs, nurses, registration, secretaries. In this case, given the info the OP did, it doesn't ring true to me. To me it seems like a kid trying to get another kid's goat.

Again, yes, the daughter needs to know how serious of an accusation this is, which is why I would approach the mother on a personal basis. If something didn't seem genuine about the mother, or she seemed cagey or hostile, I might take it from there.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't ring true, HIPPA is set up so that one can KNOW the truth. As someone not in the medical field, I am thankful that there is a way I can find out the truth without having to create personal drama with some other parent, or get in the middle of her and her dd's business.
If its true, then doc mom faces the consequences, if its not true then no harm done.

I can't believe this debate is still raging. Does anyone actually know what OP decided to do?

It's up thread a few pages. The OP is going to follow up with the Privacy Officer.

Actually, I think the son is more upset that he is being picked on and that someone offered "proof" that made maybe even more people believe the opposing side. ...but... what I meant was based on the fact that that the son is upset that someone looked in his medical records, I am pretty sure that he already knows that looking in someone's medical records is a big no-no.

I have to go with what sounds logical. To me, it sounds more logical that this is a bunch of kids being dramatic and acting like fools. Again, as a parent I would want someone to give me the benefit of the doubt, as I would them. I work in the ER, I have for years, the facts don't add up. I've never heard a doc use the term "medical concussion." I've never heard that term, period. As an ER doc, she would also know that no "scarring" would show up on a CT scan of a concussion, ever, so she wouldn't expect to see that. She would also know what the treatment recommendations would be for a concussion. It just sounds like a lot of childish bragging and teasing to me.

To be quite honest, all things considered, I would just let it go, but that's just me. My thought on the matter is someone may have looked at a digital image of my kid's brain (some days I'm not sure one exists) It wasn't like they said he had an STD or something. I would just let it go in the interest of ending all this drama. I would be like, "Look it's over, it's done. The boy got his punishment, let's move on, she's just trying to get your goat, rise above and ignore it."

I am an ER nurse, my husband is a hematologist/oncologist. As I just explained, the facts don't add up. The terminology doesn't fit, the CT "findings" don't fit. It doesn't ring true to me. I also have a teenager and I do know how they can act, and I will freely admit that mine, in the very least is not above a little embellishment to earn points.

There is ALOT of conjecture thrown in with what "seems logical" to you. You are filling in holes with stuff you have no idea about. None of us do. I don't think that is fair to the OP or her son.

I understand your situation puts you close to the subject matter, but really it comes down to the OP wanting to know in order to protect her son's medical records, not drama. How is that not acceptable to you? I don't get it. You give the benefit of the doubt entirely to the doctor mom and none to the OP or her son.

The situation described by the OP is exactly why HIPPA came into existence. HIPPA protects patients.

Why is finding out such a huge deal? There have been many posters stating the OP can do so discreetly.

It doesn't matter if it doesn't ring true, HIPPA is set up so that one can KNOW the truth. As someone not in the medical field, I am thankful that there is a way I can find out the truth without having to create personal drama with some other parent, or get in the middle of her and her dd's business.
If its true, then doc mom faces the consequences, if its not true then no harm done.

Exactly.

You know, ts fairly easy and common here for ER personnel (nurses and MD) to access records from other ERs in town. We have what is called MidSouth E-Health Alliance, and we all furnish info to it, mostly in real time. That way, when someone comes in wearing another ER armband, I can look it up and say, "no, you were x-rayed today at the Med, it was negative, and the MD gave you two RX at 11am." Or the patients who hop from ER to ER for primary care? It keeps us from repeating unnecessary tests and gives us a clearer clinical picture, hopefully to provide better continuity of care. All of the ER's in town pretty much use it.

Plus, there are always consulting docs around who have access to other facilities' inpatient records. If we have patients who can only tell us that they had a test done in the hospital at XYZ last month but can't remember what it was it why, usually the doctor will access those records just to provide better care. In emergency situations, it happens, too. I had an unreponsive pt with a very suspicious EKG come in via EMS on Thursday. Never been to my ER, so no records. One pill bottle had a cardiologist's name on it, so I called him at home,he looked the pt up and faxed me a copy of an old EKG, and the pt went to the cath lab, probably saving his life.

So, I'm not sure why people think its so far fetched and difficult to access people's health info. Patients sign a form when they arrive giving me permission to use other facilities data, it's all electronic, and voila! The days of faxing things to medical records and waiting for hours are dying,thank goodness.

I agree, it probably is a bunch of kids being fools - its what kids do best. But in all this foolishness one kid stated her mom broke the law. So, yes, that needs to be followed up on. Worst case scenario - the mom actually did break the law and has to face the repercussions of it. Best case scenario, the girl made it up and someone explains to her that she cant spread lies about how someone is breaking the law when they aren't. Either way, you can't just let it go.

You know, ts fairly easy and common here for ER personnel (nurses and MD) to access records from other ERs in town. We have what is called MidSouth E-Health Alliance, and we all furnish info to it, mostly in real time. That way, when someone comes in wearing another ER armband, I can look it up and say, "no, you were x-rayed today at the Med, it was negative, and the MD gave you two RX at 11am." Or the patients who hop from ER to ER for primary care? It keeps us from repeating unnecessary tests and gives us a clearer clinical picture, hopefully to provide better continuity of care. All of the ER's in town pretty much use it.

Plus, there are always consulting docs around who have access to other facilities' inpatient records. If we have patients who can only tell us that they had a test done in the hospital at XYZ last month but can't remember what it was it why, usually the doctor will access those records just to provide better care. In emergency situations, it happens, too. I had an unreponsive pt with a very suspicious EKG come in via EMS on Thursday. Never been to my ER, so no records. One pill bottle had a cardiologist's name on it, so I called him at home,he looked the pt up and faxed me a copy of an old EKG, and the pt went to the cath lab, probably saving his life.

So, I'm not sure why people think its so far fetched and difficult to access people's health info. Patients sign a form when they arrive giving me permission to use other facilities data, it's all electronic, and voila! The days of faxing things to medical records and waiting for hours are dying,thank goodness.
As I understand it though, the OP's son was seen at "Hospital X". Teen Girl's "Dr. Mom" works in the ER at "Hospital Y". According to Teen Girl, "Dr. Mom" accessed the records of "Hospital X". As far as we know, she didn't have a reason to do so. It's not like OP took her son to "Hospital Y" because she didn't like the treatment at "X". It is possible a doctor at Hospital X asked Dr. Mom for a consult(?), but to me, that would be strange... why not ask a doctor at the same hospital?

I get everyone's desire to always defend and believe your kids. I get feeling angry because your kid is hurt. As a parent, I would hope that another parent would give me the benefit of the doubt and have enough respect for me, as an adult and parent, to have a civilized discussion. I know on the Dis there is a higher than average percentage of gifted and perfect children, but having been a teenaged girl, and having a teenaged girl, I know how they can be. I would hope that a reasonable parent wouldn't, automatically, assume I was a horrible person based on my teenaged girl, acting like a teenaged girl. Just think how you (general you) would like to be treated in this situation. I would much rather a parent approach me, than make trouble on my job.

There are 3 sides to every story, this one included. What the OP's son says, what the girl says, and the truth, which is probably somewhere in between the 2 stories.

No not everyone is assuming the ER MD Mom is guilty. However, because I work with the IT department at my institution I will tell you that it is not unheard of for some very smart people (ie-MDs, RNS) to do some very stupid things like accessing records that they have no business accessing. So as an IT person would I assume she's guilty? No. But I would be required to investigate.

People are advising the OP to request the information to determine who accessed the records and then go on from there. It's a step-by-step process.

You would feel comfortable discussing it directly with the ER MD Mom without any kind of proof other than "your kid said this to my kid". In my opinion, that would just make it worse for the OP's son at school, because then the girl will come back to school and say "Billy told his mother what I said about his CT scan and she told my mother and I got in trouble for saying that".

IMHO, it's much better to utilize the avenues available to determine if one has and issue before one starts talking to anyone about anything. So we start by getting a list of people who accessed the record. if the ER MD Mom's name is on it, we take the next step, which would be asking her how she was involved in the direct care of this patient. And so on.

I understand your desire to defend our medical colleagues, but I am quite sure that since you & your DH are in the medical profession that you both know medical people who behave in a less-than-professional manner. I know I do, and it is always very disheartening when it happens.

If there is no indication of ER Mom MD accessing the chart, the matter is closed, the OP says to her son "She didn't look, teenage girl is just mouthing off, ignore her" and life goes on.

We're obviously on the same page. As some have suggested, maybe it's because we are nurses and can "relate," but there are other people who have identified themselves as nurses who have the opposite view so it's not just because we're nurses. Besides, suggesting that it's because being a nurse makes it easy to relate implies that, "If you looked at someone's record then you wouldn't want to be reported." I would never do that. Ever. So, being in Dr. Mom's shoes has no impact at all on my opinion. Zero.

I was a teacher before I was a nurse. If a parent heard that I had said something inappropriate or did something inappropriate to their child, I would hope they would talk to ME first before contacting the principal or the Superintendent. That would be the logical thing to do in my opinion. Apparently, I (or we) are in the minority as far as that thought process goes.

Furthermore, I am with you in that I think the best scenario is to let the drama die. I don't see any scenario (contact the mom or contacting the privacy officer) helping the son/victim's situation in any way at all. If anything, it will make an already bad situation even worse. Chances are that these classmates have already put this behind them and moved on to the newest drama. The only outcome that I can see is bringing a dead situation back to life in this kid's world.

In the end, it's a personal choice as a parent. Only the OP can make that choice. Some kids are bullied and their parents go to the school, talk to the principal, meet with the "bully's parents" etc. because they want it to stop and they want "justice." Other kids are bullied and the victim's parents don't do anything. That's not because they don't care, but most often (from both personal and professional experience) because they are more concerned about the social impact on their child than they are concerned with getting justice. Neither approach is WRONG. They are just different. I personally care more about how my actions are going to impact my child's emotional/social well being than I care about getting justice. It wouldn't matter to me if a bully "got away" with being a bully or even if a doctor "got away" with looking at a record if doing nothing meant that my child could move on from XYZ situation with the least amount of stress.

I also find it interesting that so many people are willing to believe that Dr. Mom violated HIPAA, but at the same time they are adamant that a Privacy Officer is bound by laws that will obligate them to treat her inquiry with the utmost level of confidentiality.

I was a teacher before I was a nurse. If a parent heard that I had said something inappropriate or did something inappropriate to their child, I would hope they would talk to ME first before contacting the principal or the Superintendent. That would be the logical thing to do in my opinion. Apparently, I (or we) are in the minority as far as that thought process goes.
I think there's a difference though. With you as the teacher, you have a relationship with the student already. I would agree if a teacher said something "out of place" about my child, I'd talk to the teacher. If a stranger (which is basically what Dr Mom is) said something, I don't see going to them.

I also find it interesting that so many people are willing to believe that Dr. Mom violated HIPAA, but at the same time they are adamant that a Privacy Officer is bound by laws that will obligate them to treat her inquiry with the utmost level of confidentiality.
I agree with you. This is why I don't Dr. Mom should be mentioned when talking to the privacy officer.

Reading through the most recent comments, this is a concern that I have for Dr. Mom, also. That is, her professional reputation if the accusation was made up by her teen. Word spreads. And it may not just be by a Privacy Officer. (Never heard that term before myself, so yes, every institution is different in their set up and practice.) It could be simply by the Mom herself venting to a colleague, or a manager involved, etc. (And managers do get involved.) That somehow doesn't seem fair if Dr. Mom is innocent.

Disney Doll, in your scenario
Disney Doll said:
If there is no indication of ER Mom MD accessing the chart, the matter is closed, the OP says to her son "She didn't look, teenage girl is just mouthing off, ignore her" and life goes on.
I would take it one step further and let Dr. Mom know what has been said. I would be furious if I found out my teens did something stupid like that that could damage my professional reputation and potentially affect our livelihood. I'm sure she would want to know.

I remember when I was growing up there was a doctor in town who had a loudmouth mom working for him, and everyone knew people's personal medical info because of this person. Even then, I felt that was so wrong, and would never set foot in that office myself. Things have changed a lot. Even more than a couple of decades ago, when electronic communication began in hospitals (or I guess I should say in my hospital), it was far more common for nosey people to look things up willy nilly. Over the years I saw many people reprimanded for it. Now, it is rare, in part, as I said before, because of staff education on the issue. Everyone working in the hospital who has computer access (which is everyone, really) has to do mandatory electronic education about Privacy so there is no ambiguity about it whatsoever.

I will also say that, at least where I work, that has also translated into privacy in verbal communications also, so that even speaking about a patient's medical issues are frowned upon, other than in the care of the patient. I, personally, am very often involved in other patients' care where I am not the primary nurse, but helping a colleague. Because everything we do is electronically recorded, such as with medication storage units and medicatiion administration systems, it would be fairly easy to see what I was doing accessing someone's medical record, as there would be an electronic trail of interactions all around the same time and related to eachother. It is so ingrained in us, it is something I think of every time I enter my key in an electronic record, which is literally hundreds of times per shift. Everything we do now is recorded, and Dr. Mom is well aware of this also. (A teen would have very little idea about it.) I doubt she would be stupid enough to randomly access the OP's son's medical record if she wasn't directly involved in his care, it being a serious professional violation.

We're obviously on the same page. As some have suggested, maybe it's because we are nurses and can "relate," but there are other people who have identified themselves as nurses who have the opposite view so it's not just because we're nurses. Besides, suggesting that it's because being a nurse makes it easy to relate implies that, "If you looked at someone's record then you wouldn't want to be reported." I would never do that. Ever. So, being in Dr. Mom's shoes has no impact at all on my opinion. Zero.

Furthermore, I am with you in that I think the best scenario is to let the drama die. I don't see any scenario (contact the mom or contacting the privacy officer) helping the son/victim's situation in any way at all. If anything, it will make an already bad situation even worse. Chances are that these classmates have already put this behind them and moved on to the newest drama. The only outcome that I can see is bringing a dead situation back to life in this kid's world.

In the end, it's a personal choice as a parent. Only the OP can make that choice. Some kids are bullied and their parents go to the school, talk to the principal, meet with the "bully's parents" etc. because they want it to stop and they want "justice." Other kids are bullied and the victim's parents don't do anything. That's not because they don't care, but most often (from both personal and professional experience) because they are more concerned about the social impact on their child than they are concerned with getting justice. Neither approach is WRONG. They are just different. I personally care more about how my actions are going to impact my child's emotional/social well being than I care about getting justice. It wouldn't matter to me if a bully "got away" with being a bully or even if a doctor "got away" with looking at a record if doing nothing meant that my child could move on from XYZ situation with the least amount of stress.

The argument could be made the other way also. Why do people believe the doctor would never be so unprofessional and do something to jeopardize their career but think the privacy officer (or other person looking into it) will be so unprofessional that they will gossip and ruin the doctor's reputation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter