Adventures with a tween with autism

If I understand the Present system correctly, wheelchairs use the regular entrance and line.

Yes I know that. I HAVE 2 disabled sons. One uses a wheelchair. The other one doesn't. If I want to take my non-wheelchair user son without my wheelchair user son, he will need a DAS due to his Autism.

Yes I know that. I HAVE 2 disabled sons. One uses a wheelchair. The other one doesn't. If I want to take my non-wheelchair user son without my wheelchair user son, he will need a DAS due to his Autism.

There is only one accommodation associated with the DAS - it gives you a wait time for the standby queue so you don't have to be in the physical queue. When you go to guest services, you need to be able to explain to the CM why someone in your party cannot tolerate being in a stand by queue. That person needs to be at guest services to have his/her photo taken as well.

Yes. The DAS just allows you to wait outside the actual line, like you could wait on a bench or in a store for example, and then when it's your turn to go on the ride, you can go straight into the fastpass line.
So let's say the ride line is one hour, they will give you a return time of 50 minutes (they usually make it ten minutes less than the regular line because wherever you wait you might need ten minutes or so to walk back to the the ride- like if you decide to wait in a store or on to bench or someplace, they subtract ten minutes from your wait time to account for the time it may take you to come back to the ride).
So then when your wait time is over you go straight to the fastpass line. Now that line can be 15 or 20 minutes sometimes, but it will be a lot shorter of a wait in line than if you were in the regular line which could be an hour.
So if you think this option would help your son, you just need to explain at city hall why he can't stand in the actual line (anxiety, too close to strangers who might bump into him, etc)

So you'd get a DAS for your son that includes your whole party. The DAS stays with your autistic child and your wheelchair child can just go through normal or FP lines if you split.

Thank you for the report. My DS (8) has Aspergers and loved the Agent P game! We only did Mexico and had a minor meltdown that we couldn't do more. So we plan on doing the rest of the countries on the next visit. The CM told us to do all countries takes 3 1/5 hours. I wanted to passed that info for planning purposes. Planning makes things easier for us so it was great info for us!

There is only one accommodation associated with the DAS - it gives you a wait time for the standby queue so you don't have to be in the physical queue. When you go to guest services, you need to be able to explain to the CM why someone in your party cannot tolerate being in a stand by queue. That person needs to be at guest services to have his/her photo taken as well.

Correct. I'm a 19 year old with autism. I LOVED Agent P. I'm glad to hear your son had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter