Adventures with a tween with autism

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by Danadanes, Jun 25, 2014.

1. blondietink

blondietink DIS Veteran

Yes I know that. I HAVE 2 disabled sons. One uses a wheelchair. The other one doesn't. If I want to take my non-wheelchair user son without my wheelchair user son, he will need a DAS due to his Autism.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Coonhound

Coonhound DIS Veteran

Yes. The DAS just allows you to wait outside the actual line, like you could wait on a bench or in a store for example, and then when it's your turn to go on the ride, you can go straight into the fastpass line.
    So let's say the ride line is one hour, they will give you a return time of 50 minutes (they usually make it ten minutes less than the regular line because wherever you wait you might need ten minutes or so to walk back to the the ride- like if you decide to wait in a store or on to bench or someplace, they subtract ten minutes from your wait time to account for the time it may take you to come back to the ride).
    So then when your wait time is over you go straight to the fastpass line. Now that line can be 15 or 20 minutes sometimes, but it will be a lot shorter of a wait in line than if you were in the regular line which could be an hour.
    So if you think this option would help your son, you just need to explain at city hall why he can't stand in the actual line (anxiety, too close to strangers who might bump into him, etc)

4. aaarcher86

aaarcher86 DIS Veteran

So you'd get a DAS for your son that includes your whole party. The DAS stays with your autistic child and your wheelchair child can just go through normal or FP lines if you split.

5. milza26

milza26 Earning My Ears

Thank you for the report. My DS (8) has Aspergers and loved the Agent P game! We only did Mexico and had a minor meltdown that we couldn't do more. So we plan on doing the rest of the countries on the next visit. The CM told us to do all countries takes 3 1/5 hours. I wanted to passed that info for planning purposes. Planning makes things easier for us so it was great info for us!

6. WDWJonasGirl

WDWJonasGirl Mouseketeer/Directioner

Correct. I'm a 19 year old with autism. I LOVED Agent P. I'm glad to hear your son had a great time.