Adventurers Club Closing REVISTED!!!!!

getback

Earning My Ears
Last weekend we were in Downtown Disney. I turned to my wife and told her that I really missed the AC. It was not just the AC itself I miss, it is what the AC was to Disney World. In Disneyland it has it charm because it was the original. The AC represented the personality of WDW. It was almost like the unofficial commentator of the resort. I know I may be taking this too far, but since it has closed, WDW has seemed much colder, systematTic and completely commercial.

When it first closed, I did not care. At the time I was completely ticked off on how some of the regulars were making it unwelcoming to new visitors, but as time passes, that has fallen to the wasteside and the good experiences remain..

To me the Club represented a place where one was entertained and was a central place to meet fellow Disney lovers who were always willing to share their experiences of the day.

Disney needs to realize what made the AC great was the interaction. What would be great is if Disney would open a group of clubs that were ALL interactive. Restoring the AC would have to be in the mix. With a group of clubs filled with actors and commedians, I am sure they would make the money off of tickets.

is that a hint you have more rumours you cant tell us about yet bob?

Not really. The last big rumor we received had the possibility of third parties being able to reopen the former clubs as clubs. I believe there is a lot of movement taking place right now behind the scenes about that. If AC were to reopen, it would have to be in a completely different format that would allow it to operate profitably. The old format had a lot of labor costs with very limited direct income.

BobK/Orlando

Not really. The last big rumor we received had the possibility of third parties being able to reopen the former clubs as clubs. I believe there is a lot of movement taking place right now behind the scenes about that. If AC were to reopen, it would have to be in a completely different format that would allow it to operate profitably. The old format had a lot of labor costs with very limited direct income.

BobK/Orlando

One thing that would bring prifitability that they never had would be souvineirs. I would have bought T-shirts and mugs and statues posters and my whole rec-room would be AC themed

BobK/Orlando

I think in true Disney fashion they oversaturated the market... and then responded by shutting the whole thing down.

I'm sure three or four well-run clubs could succeed and profit where seven failed or fell short. All the people who went to seven clubs would find a place in the three or four. Not really rocket science...

I think in true Disney fashion they oversaturated the market... and then responded by shutting the whole thing down.

I'm sure three or four well-run clubs could succeed and profit where seven failed or fell short. All the people who went to seven clubs would find a place in the three or four. Not really rocket science...

:thumbsup2

Agreed 1000%. I've thought that all along. They could have just left 3 open. The AC, one dance club (basically merging 8trax, Motion, and Mannequins and BET - just have rotating themes each night) and Rock & Roll Beach Club. They probably would have been profitable enough to stay open. Plus, I agree they missed out on a merchandising opportunity with the AC to supplement revenue.

:thumbsup2
Agreed 1000%. I've thought that all along. They could have just left 3 open. The AC, one dance club (basically merging 8trax, Motion, and Mannequins and BET - just have rotating themes each night) and Rock & Roll Beach Club. They probably would have been profitable enough to stay open. Plus, I agree they missed out on a merchandising opportunity with the AC to supplement revenue.
The comedy warehouse was also a very popular format. Maybe in some way they could merge some of its ideas with AC?

They used to do a lot more logo merchandise sales back in the day. During the final decade hardly anything for sale with PI or club logos on them.

I'd say there is a decent chance we'll see a couple dance clubs reopen with new themes. And CW a good possibility too with a new name. All operated by third parties.

BobK/Orlando
www.savepleasureisland.blogspot.com

One thing that would bring prifitability that they never had would be souvineirs. I would have bought T-shirts and mugs and statues posters and my whole rec-room would be AC themed

I used to have an AC polo shirt (I forget what happened to it), and we still have two Kungaloosh canteens. We got them in 1999. But due to having really young kids we didn't return until 2007, and I don't recall any merchandise then. But by then, they had started phasing out unique merchandise...

Don't bet on it. The AC props were sent to Aulani to decorate the kids club. There is a podcast with the CM giving this info. The kids club is called Auntie's Beach House & she said the theme is adventures around the world. She said the story is that the "souvenirs" came from Auntie & Uncle's grandfather who was in the adventurers club & he passed these treasures to them.
I doubt they would send the props to Hawaii if they were planning something else for AC.
I will try to find the link...

I listened to that podcast when it came out, and I believe they say the decor is inspired by the AC, not necessarily taken from it.

It was also said in the past that all the artifacts were sent to HK Disneyland, and that wasn't apparently true either.

Unfortunately, probably 98% of visitors to WDW in the last decade didn't even know AC existed. And probably 99.5% of all visitors today won't even know it is gone. AC drew very few of the many thousands of visitors to WDW on any given time period. While, I agree it was different and interesting....I just don't see this being something Disney really cares enough to rebuild it.

And, as I have said all along, if they did rebuild it, most of the fans will not be happy with it. It will likely be much more "scheduled" and be designed to push more people through with some type of revenue stream (tickets for a designated show like at CW, or made into a dinner show, etc). Plus, it would likely be reformatted to a "family friendly" club that did not have near the off color humor attached.

I'm still a firm believer that the adventurers club should run two dinner shows a night and a timed ticket for the shows later in the evening. Like a 4pm ticket you get an hour in the lounge followed by a dinner show. By 6pm they could seat another show and a final show at 8. Then they could open it as a ticketed lounge from 9-1am. It would make money because people would pay to do the dinner and probably pay additional to stick around for drinks and lounge shows.

The only problem the Adventurers Club had was management that couldn't figure how to make it more profitable.

Perhaps this plays a part?
"Disney has announced that they have decided to delay construction on the new Hyperion Wharf entertainment district indefinitely as they re-evaluate their plans for the area. Hyperion Wharf, a modern version of an early 20th century entertainment pier, was meant to replace Pleasure Island and was only announced in November of 2010. According to Disney's official statement: "During the course of this site work, we identified opportunities to further refine our master plan and are pausing to evaluate them. What does this mean for you? While we're moving quickly, it will admittedly cause a delay in construction. But we're willing to bet that any delay will be worth the wait once we're able to share details about the exciting work we've been doing."

Hmmmmmm

Perhaps this plays a part?
"Disney has announced that they have decided to delay construction on the new Hyperion Wharf entertainment district indefinitely as they re-evaluate their plans for the area. Hyperion Wharf, a modern version of an early 20th century entertainment pier, was meant to replace Pleasure Island and was only announced in November of 2010. According to Disney's official statement: "During the course of this site work, we identified opportunities to further refine our master plan and are pausing to evaluate them. What does this mean for you? While we're moving quickly, it will admittedly cause a delay in construction. But we're willing to bet that any delay will be worth the wait once we're able to share details about the exciting work we've been doing."

Hmmmmmm

The only thing that would excite me is a reopening of AC.:snooty:

The only thing that would excite me is a reopening of AC.:snooty:

We agree that would be brilliant. In the meantime, there are construction teams working and the 4 major clubs are just now boarded up to prevent you seeing what's happening inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter