Advent candles in the resort room

ginnygi

Mouseketeer
This may seem like a weird question, but has anyone traveling during the holiday season brought and lit Advent candles in their hotel room? Will I get in trouble for lighting candles in our room? Don't want to get fined or anything like that by Disney. Thanks in advance!

Open flame isn't allowed in hotel rooms. (for obvious reasons)
Find a battery powered option.

Thats a great idea Sue, thank you. I didn't even think of that! My kids are 9 and 7, and really enjoy lighting the advent candles though. I will use the battery operated ones as a last resort.

Thats a great idea Sue, thank you. I didn't even think of that! My kids are 9 and 7, and really enjoy lighting the advent candles though. I will use the battery operated ones as a last resort.

Battery operated candles should not be a last resort. As others have said, open flame candles are not permitted and they are a safety hazard.
You are placing everyone in your vicinity at risk
Please reconsider

I meant I was waiting to hear other people's experiences before I made a final decision. I had seen on the internet that someone lit regular smelly candles in their room. I was looking more for the resort policy as opposed to people's opinion. As for safety, have you ever lit Advent candles? You light them, say a quick prayer, maybe sing a song, and then blow them out. They are lit for a few short minutes and you are standing/sitting right in front of them the entire time. Now I remember why I don't post on disboards anymore. You ask a simple question and get met with hostility when its really not necessary. Thanks for the help guys.

Candles and any sort of open flame are 100% NOT permitted in a hotel. Period. It doesn't matter how long or short they are lit, they are simply not allowed.

Get the battery ones. That is the ONLY option.

I would just bring my advent candles, then put them in a drawer or something after they had been lit and then extinguished. The only question I'd have is if their smoke detectors would pick up on the smoke when you blow it out. Otherwise, I'd go ahead; there's little to no risk with that kind of use.

I had seen on the internet that someone lit regular smelly candles in their room. I was looking more for the resort policy as opposed to people's opinion. As for safety, have you ever lit Advent candles? You light them, say a quick prayer, maybe sing a song, and then blow them out. They are lit for a few short minutes and you are standing/sitting right in front of them the entire time. Now I remember why I don't post on disboards anymore. You ask a simple question and get met with hostility when its really not necessary. Thanks for the help guys.

Sure, do it... and get fined $450 (for each night they were there) like someone I know did.

Not through Disney, but another hotel. They were charged for smoking in their room in a non-smoking hotel. There was no way for them to prove that they "hadn't" been smoking, (they are non-smokers), but because they had in fact lit a candle and blew it out, they were automatically accused. The hotel chain did not care about their religion, they were more concerned with the other # of people there. That charge showed up on their credit card once they got home. They had NO idea they were being fined and while they said they did it once, they were charged each night of their stay for cleaning the room, etc. We always thought the cleaning person found either a dead match or smelled something, etc.

NOT something I'd risk a fine like that for!!!

This may seem like a weird question, but has anyone traveling during the holiday season brought and lit Advent candles in their hotel room? Will I get in trouble for lighting candles in our room? Don't want to get fined or anything like that by Disney. Thanks in advance!

How about doing it outside instead of in the room? Even outside, I would limit it to whatever designated smoking area there is, so there will be no question about doing something that will get you tossed from the resort.

I would just bring my advent candles, then put them in a drawer or something after they had been lit and then extinguished. The only question I'd have is if their smoke detectors would pick up on the smoke when you blow it out. Otherwise, I'd go ahead; there's little to no risk with that kind of use.

So you are suggesting that the OP break Disney's rules? The same rules that EVERY hotel I have ever stayed in has had. The same rules that are usually actually a part of the fire code.

Wow...

Hotels would presumably deem that a Fire Hazard. :scared1:

I meant I was waiting to hear other people's experiences before I made a final decision. I had seen on the internet that someone lit regular smelly candles in their room. I was looking more for the resort policy as opposed to people's opinion. As for safety, have you ever lit Advent candles? You light them, say a quick prayer, maybe sing a song, and then blow them out. They are lit for a few short minutes and you are standing/sitting right in front of them the entire time. Now I remember why I don't post on disboards anymore. You ask a simple question and get met with hostility when its really not necessary. Thanks for the help guys.

I saw no hostility at all.

Fire codes are fire codes.

The concept of safety with candles is that you can never assume you *will* put them out like you think you will. I imagine that very few candle-based fires happen with people thinking "I'll just light this and leave it". Most people have good intentions. I'll light it, do this, and blow it out. And then...something happens. And it doesn't get blown out.

This is a very bad idea. Suppose you put it in the drawer and it was still hot? It could catch the drawer and the entire room on fire. Fire Codes exist for a reason. While you may think you are a perfectly reasonable person and would never leave a lit candle in a room accidents happen and the consequences are not good.

But fire codes don't make exceptions for religious events. At least not that I'm aware of.

OP, no hotel operator is going to explicitly say, "yes, it's OK for guests to have open flames in their rooms." Enforcement may vary of course, but you're not going to find a stated policy for Disney resorts saying that you can do this. If they have such a policy and the next fatal hotel fire was at a Disney resort, they'd be sued out of existence.

They can't say "well, it's OK if you blow it out right away", or "hey, it's for religious reasons, so go ahead". They'll just say no.

How about doing it outside instead of in the room? Even outside, I would limit it to whatever designated smoking area there is, so there will be no question about doing something that will get you tossed from the resort.

Perhaps instead of reiterating the same thing post after post about the candles not being allowed (which really, OP, should go without saying...), we could come up with plausible solutions. The battery operated ones are a solution, and so is lighting the candles outside which I think is an even better idea. We stayed at CBR, and there were several smoking areas with benches and even small nooks in each section with tables and chairs where you could gather and do this. I would leave the candles outside the room when you're done, however - I doubt anyone would touch them and it would be the safest bet.

An Amazon search of "battery advent tea lights" gives some good, safe solutions to your question. The lights come in the usual colors.

Battery operated candles should not be a last resort. As others have said, open flame candles are not permitted and they are a safety hazard.
You are placing everyone in your vicinity at risk
Please reconsider

A couple of bolded words does not rise to the level of "hostility".

The previous poster felt (with some justification, based on your own words), that you were not taking the warning against using candles seriously. So they reworded the warning more emphatically. They were, however, still quite polite.

Being disagreed with is not the same thing as being attacked.

This post is not an attack, either. Nor am I being hostile. ;)

I do, however, think you should use battery operated candles or light them outside in the smoking section. While it's unlikely anyone would catch you if you hid them in a drawer and just snuck them out for a moment or two, and you almost certainly won't burn the resort down, it's still breaking the (really quite reasonable and rational) rules and that's not a good example to set for the kids.

Please don't burn candles in your room. I'd bet my life it's against policy, and even if it's not, it's really not safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter