• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advantages of AAA?

Not sure if anyone's posted this, but AAA gives you a 10% discount at Payless Shoes! :banana:

As for road side assistance, we really don't need it because our insurance company has that on our plan already. Flat tire, towing, etc., is all covered.
I did have a flat tire once while we had the AAA but never called them :rotfl:

in CT- we used to use our insurance option till we needed them one day and waited over an hour,and the dispathcer on the phone told us NO garages respond to them. That was the day we got AAA,as we drive older cars,and use it from time to time- before AAA a local tow was over 100.00- the last time;) it cost 14.00-
my fave thing is the free maps and tour books,and Most especially,the online interactive triptik maps- I use those heavily to plan trips! you input your destinations,and it maps it all out,showing time,distance,etc etc and y ou can rearrange as much as you like till it suits you,then request it all printed and bound a notebook for your trip- wonderful!
since our cars are aging,it's well worth the $$$ and I love the trip planning stuff- I couldn't find a discount......

in CT- we used to use our insurance option till we needed them one day and waited over an hour,and the dispathcer on the phone told us NO garages respond to them. That was the day we got AAA,as we drive older cars,and use it from time to time- before AAA a local tow was over 100.00- the last time;) it cost 14.00-
my fave thing is the free maps and tour books,and Most especially,the online interactive triptik maps- I use those heavily to plan trips! you input your destinations,and it maps it all out,showing time,distance,etc etc and y ou can rearrange as much as you like till it suits you,then request it all printed and bound a notebook for your trip- wonderful!
since our cars are aging,it's well worth the $$$ and I love the trip planning stuff- I couldn't find a discount......

Isn't their online map kind of like mapquest?

Showing your card at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure gets you 10% off dining and shopping.

They also offer car & homeowners insurance. The car insurance alone was cheaper than the Allstate I had at the time. They also give an additional discount if you've been a member for a certain length of time. The older your membership, the bigger your discount. Once we added homeowners ins, we got a multi policy discount. :thumbsup2

i have never used AAA for insurance or travel discounts, but buy it strictly for the roadside assistance. it has saved me several hundred dollars in towing fees just this year alone, as my old car (just got a "new"-to me anyway-one last month) has a fuel system issue my mechanic husband just can't seem to track down. they will also unlock your car if you lock the keys in it, bring you fuel if you run out, or change a flat tire. can't beat that for $100 per year. DH drives an older car as his work car and works a lot of night shifts, so just the peace of mind that he can always get help is worth the price of membership.

ETA: oh wait, i did use it for admission discounts at the tennessee aquarium and at the mcwane center (birmingham, al), and that rocks!

Okay, you all have me convinced! I'm going to fill out the paperwork and join.

Thanks so much!

We have had the plus and have had AAA for years.

When my sons started to drive (and now my daughter) - we needed it more since they had used cars - chance of more problems and boy did one of my sons use the towing at least twice a year. ALSO - you do not have to be driving, you can be a passenger in a car that gets stuck too.

We now have four cars (really only need AAA on 1 older SUV) and still have it. Peace of mind if they are traveling with someone else who might not have it. We use it for the Safety Driving course discount. We have used it for hotels, theme park tickets, New York & Company, Payless Shoe store and some other places.

These are just a few reasons it's worth it for us.

Ok here is my AAA story....we were at Disney just at the end of May and my battery was DEAD:headache: So we call AAA...they are there in 30 mins! Changed out the dead battery and the cost was not that much more then if we could have done it ourselves. I don't know what we would have done without them in that situation. We used AAA for the motel room going down as we drove from Kentucky. I wasn't sure where we would end up getting tired so I couldn't make reservations. I used our tourbook and found a motel they recommended.

I have Sprint for our cell phones and they give a 12 or 13 percent discount on my cell phone bill...its not a great deal but it covers the taxes and fees!!!

I've used the AAA for a flat tire change out, a friend locked her keys in her car when she came over for a BBQ at my house...AAA was there in minutes and unlocked her door. I used my AAA card last year to help a soldier who was on leave that had locked his keys in the car. We were at the grocery store and he was parked next to me trying to unlock his car with a coat hanger. I said "wait I'll call AAA to get you unlocked" AAA was there in 15 minutes. The soldier and I had a nice conversation during that time. When AAA was done, I looked at the solder and said "Thank you for your service" It's a small thing I could do for him for all that he did for our country.

I've gotten discounts at a lot of attractions so the membership has paid for its self in how often I've used it.

My husband just got a brand new truck that gives him road side assistance but he said don't cancel my part of AAA because I don't know how long this other company will take if I need them. At least with AAA we know they are EVERYWHERE and they will get to you pronto! Very good point!

I am a BIG fan of AAA and I think the membership dues are work every penny!:)

We've had AAA for about 6 years. At first, we got it because my husband was working overnights, I was pregnant and we were concerned about my car having problems. We barely used the membership, but it did give us some peace of mind. Then we kept it for the travel savings. (Yes, some you can get cheaper online. I've booked some elsewhere and some AAA saves the most money.)
A few years ago, changed our mind and we will now always carry AAA Plus. We were visiting my in-laws who live out in the middle of nowhere and my car broke down. We only had the regular AAA which tows for a few miles and then you pay by the mile. Well, we were 20 miles from the nearest garage. My in-laws had AAA Plus, so they waited with us for AAA to send tow truck. Luckily, the car was towed for free.
After that we got AAA Plus. Right before the huge snowstorm in January 2010, my husband's clutch went out in his pickup. We called AAA late on Wednesday night. For no charge, they towed it 35 miles to the dealership (not the closest garage to us, but the one where we could get the best price). My husband was able to pick his truck up on Friday and get home just as the snow started. 20+ inches of snow, no power for 3 days, but thanks to AAA my husband was at least able to get out of our driveway in the snow to help some of our neighbors.
From now on, we'll keep AAA Plus just in case of situations like this.

We live in a pretty rural area and use roadside frequently. Sometimes it takes them an hour to arrive but it is helpful.

We JUST got back from Universal, and just one day there pretty much paid for our membership. I used it at every restaraunt and stand. I even used it at the Hard Rock for dinner.

last year in Texas, we lost our car keys at the Ballpark in Arlington. ETA for the locksmith to re-key the car was 3-4 hours. So, dh called AAA to at least let us in the car.

As soon as the guy drove off, a gullywasher opened up and went on for a couple of hours..including thunder and lightning.

I've also had to call them to jump my battery.

We'll always belong to AAA...it's insurance that lets me drive in peace.

I just used AAA to have my car towed home from the gas station. I am restoring a 1966 Mustang and thought I was good but apparently the starter (newish) decided to quit right there at the gas pump. It took a little over an hour (it is a holiday) but AAA towed my car home and put it in the garage for me! I've also used it twice this year when I locked my keys in the car....more than paid for itself for sure!

Jill in CO

The locksmith service is one of the most valuable services of all.

A locksmith call can cost between $40-$60 just to come out and pop a lock, plus it's illegal in most states to have jimmy these days. Well at least a proper one.

I'm pretty good about changing tires, keeping up what needs to get done under the hood and how to fix the quirks of the car. But the locksmith services have paid for itself more than once.
My favorite example, me and my ex went camping at Ft Wilderness. I sometimes lock the doors at night, but not always. Well one night I left the keys in the car cause I had my hands full getting other things out of the car. She got out of the car, and locked the doors before I could get back to it to get the rest of what I wanted. Called AAA the following morning.
The next day at the parks, she locked the keys in the car before heading into the park. Round two cam along, AAA delivered one more exceptional service within 36 hrs that weekend.

We were notorious for locking the keys in the truck, because the van had keyless entry. Sometimes we'd leave the keys under the seat of the van or something for the day, to not have them on us. The first couple years of driving the truck were spent getting used to the differences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter