• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Advance Point & Shoot Camera

tropicalgirl

Mouseketeer
I've been looking at the advanced point and shoot cameras and I think I've narrowed it down to the Nikon P90 with 24 optical zoom or the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ35 with 18 optical zoom. They are both comparable price-wise. I'm looking for a camera that will take decent shots of my kids sports (cheerleading, football and baseball) and also vacation pics. The simpler the better! Any opinions are welcome!

I am going to make a blanket statement that some here might object too, but the reviews I've seen tip the balance to the Lumix being the better camera.

I'll go with that blanket statement too. Nothing particularly wrong with the Nikon P90...it's capable and well featured. But in general, Nikon doesn't do quite as well with reviews, sales, or image quaility comparisons in the P&S market as much of their R&D goes to their excellent DSLR cameras. Panasonic on the other hand does put emphasis on their P&S market, particularly ultrazoom cameras, and the FZ series has always been at the top of most ultrazoom reviews and comparisons. Between those two, I think most would give the edge to the Panasonic. I'd even go so far as to put the Canon SX series and Sony HX series above the Nikon, for features and IQ. But really none of them are bad...it's all down to which is slightly better than the next.

I have a Nikon P80 which is a great camera. Very easy to use and very capable as well. P90 has more megapixel. I know the Panny is also a great camera even I never use one. Many people I know have abandon their Canon and Nikon p&s and go with the Panny.

Having said that, you might want to check out the Canon S90. It cost a little more but the low light picture isn't bad. It can also shoot RAW file. Something you might consider. My cousin has one and he use as a walk around camera everyday for street photography. It's quite sharp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter