Adults without kids - why do you visit characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had another thought about this, and I hope I can explain it clearly... I'm sure a lot of us on the Dis have favorite characters - but how many of us who are adults have other people we know in real life to whom we can talk about our fondness for Disney movies, cartoons & characters? I'm an adult who actually watches Handy Manny for crying out loud! But, at WDW, it's actually okay to like the characters. And who better to share that with than the characters, themselves? Because you know that they - and their "friends" - get it.

I love the "Roseanne" episode where they go to WDW, and Darlene (Sara Gilbert) is a total sourpuss about everything until she meets Winnie the Pooh. That is a perfect example of the magic of meeting your favorites. :wizard:

:thumbsup2 I couldn't have said it any better!!

I am yet another one who didn't get to go to Disney as a child, but even if I did, why should I stop when I get to a certain age? I want to meet and interact with the characters.

On my last trip in April, I look to the side through the trees at the Animal Kingdom and saw King Louie and Baloo the Bear! As a kid, I had the Jungle Book soundtrack album and knew every song by heart. I scampered up that path and could not wait to see them. When it was my turn, I walked up to King Louie and started singing "Ooh-be-do, I wanna be like You-oo-oo" for just one stanza, then turned to Baloo and sang three lines from Bear Necessities. They both just froze at first, but eventually seemed to enjoy it. My husband said I was singing at them and dancing "like a little girl". It was the highlight of my day.

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, in fact, I haven't read it since it was barely a 2 page thread. But in thinking about the topic the last couple of days, it reminded me of a something that happened to me and my wife 3 years ago on our anniversary.

Some history, my wife and I were very lucky to have a long honeymoon of which 14 days were spent at Disney World. Before we had kids, our interaction with the characters was limited to when they would approach us. Now we have kids and we visit so often, meet & greets are a regular thing. However 3 years ago I decided to take my wife back to WDW and recreate part of our honeymoon, no kids of course.

While planning I debated whether I wanted to go to Chef Mickey's. There is some very sentimental reasoning behind going there that only my wife would understand. But without the kids it just isn't our thing to do character meals. I made the decision to go and when we arrived, I asked for a table as out of the way as possible, it wasn't our intention to take fun character time away from families that were there for that. We were seated in the southeast corner of the restaurant against the windows and for the most part had very little character interaction.

My wife had an "anniversary" button on the strap of her purse and our waiter noticed it, so he asked all the characters to come over and get one picture with everyone. Then they brought us special placemats and a special dessert. Shortly after, the man seated across from us stood up, came over and proceeds to tell us how upset he is that I would come in, without children, throw money around (what?) for special treatment, and take time away from his family. He then went on to tell me that I am no man because a real man wouldn't bring his wife to WDW on our anniversary. He sat back down but continued his rant for close to 20 mins, it only stopped when we were done with our meal and were leaving.

We never said one word to him, just listened and smiled, I may have winked at him. But it got me thinking, how this man really had no idea of the magic behind Disney and how sad that was. Disney truely is for everyone, just because I don't see the characters when its just the adults, doesn't mean other adults should be robbed of it.

Wow, so sorry that happened, I sure hope you didn't let it ruin your day. Disney is so good about honoring birthdays and anniversaries, no matter what a person's age.

My family had an uncomfortable experience of our own last December. We attended the Story Time at Epcot to hear Jasmine read a story because we got the voucher as part of our AAA package. Two women in their 60s were there with teen girls, and had some issue with my family being in there with no little children, and made a point to glare at us, stare, whisper, make audible statements about "childless adults" and just make us uncomfortable. No one else seemed to care.

While I love meeting the characters because it does make me feel like a kid and happy, I love having opportunities to take pictures of people and not of scenery.

As I get older I realize life is about memories. You spend so much time wishing away your time for your Disney vacation to get here and then during your vacation it goes by so quick. Pictures with character are for the memories! I don't take many pictures of me and my boyfriend in them together so when we get pictures with characters it is a way to preserve my memories to reflect back on them!

I wasn't going to respond, but feel I need to. OP was questioning the 'worth' of meeting the characters and the value of doing this vs doing rides.

My Mom was in her 70s and not in great health. We went to Disney 2 times a year. My Mom didn't want to do many of the rides, but she LOVED the character greetings. The characters interacted with her and made her feel special. We also got many great pictures with the characters. Prior to getting those pics with characters, we rarely were in pictures together.

My Mom is no longer with me, and whenever I look at those pictures, I see the joy on her face. She was so thrilled to 'meet' Big Al, and the picture is priceless. I have one of her nose to nose with Mushu..giving her a kiss.

OP....I hope this sheds some light on the 'worth' of meeting those characters. It may not be apparent now, but someday it might.

LOL I am really amazed at the number of post on this thread bit Im going to post as well!!!

First off!! I hope I never get to the point that I can't wait for my son to not wanna stand in line to take pictures, If a grown up wants to get his picture taken then let him, I mean we as parents don't we kind of leave our parent hats at the main gate and turn into kids as we walk into the park?? I know I do! So if someone is doing it without kids I think it's cool that he or she still wants to be a kid, Just my 2 cents!!

I love meeting characters and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it! Even though I couldn't as a kid, I don't even consider it a reason. I just like the characters! It's fun and I feel like a part of the movie. It's also pretty amazing how the actors are so in character, and for the moment you're there you forget they're not "real" (they ARE real, you're talking to them, right?!)

My mother and I were in line to meet Rapunzel (my favorite princess!) for 1 hour!!! There were only kids and that didn't stop us. My mom is in her 40s and I'm 20.
We also met Mickey and Minnie for the first time together, and she was wearing her Minnie ears. It was one of the most memorable moments of the whole trip.

I am yet another one who didn't get to go to Disney as a child, but even if I did, why should I stop when I get to a certain age? I want to meet and interact with the characters.

On my last trip in April, I look to the side through the trees at the Animal Kingdom and saw King Louie and Baloo the Bear! As a kid, I had the Jungle Book soundtrack album and knew every song by heart. I scampered up that path and could not wait to see them. When it was my turn, I walked up to King Louie and started singing "Ooh-be-do, I wanna be like You-oo-oo" for just one stanza, then turned to Baloo and sang three lines from Bear Necessities. They both just froze at first, but eventually seemed to enjoy it. My husband said I was singing at them and dancing "like a little girl". It was the highlight of my day.

ITA!

Our first trip together (2010) and I had been complaining that we hadn't seen Daisy. That Thursday AM, there were EMHs and we were walking quickly to try to get back to Fantasyland. I looked around and started running towards Daisy. Running at 35. I was so excited!!! Walt Disney meant for his parks to be enjoyed by everyone no matter what your age.

I don't understand what's the big deal about adults without kids going to WDW.

People are just narrow minded and like to judge just because we don't like the same thing they do. Who cares about the beach? I can do that anywhere. I live in England with thousands of pretty gardens I can walk around at any point. Meeting characters,eating a Dole Whip and riding It's A Small Small World? I can only do that at WDW (well, Disneyland too, but you get my point)

I don't get it either, but I guess it's just all part of the magic and the Disney experience. Whatever makes you happy when you are there is cool. I know someone that actually got mad that there were so many adults at Disney without kids. I didn't know why this made her and her husband so angry, but it did.

I personally wouldn't wait on line to see a character without my daughter, but like I said, if it puts a smile on your face why not.

What makes me sad is that there are people out there (from what I read here) that make it their business to decide that adults can't be excited about characters and shouldnt wait in lines. Why can't some people let others be?
Who would I be to decide what you can and cant do? (as long as it isnt illegal or indecent of course)
If it makes you happy: go for it!!

I personally don't want to wait in line just for a picture, but I do go to character meals with my husband and we both have loads of fun!:cheer2:

Plus we were lucky enough to be walking in Epcot one day and just passing a door when it opened and about a dozen characters came out. They basically grabbed us and started arguing who would be first to get their pricture taken with us :rotfl: Never had so much fun before :)

And ultimately that's what Disney is about for me: having fun, doing whatever I want (without disturbing others of course) and yes, be a bit silly. I've had a swordfight and a lightsaber fight with a salesassistant, kissed Donald, been stolen by Stitch for a picture. Just plain having fun :) And frankly, wanna go again and CP with Pooh and Tigger is high on the list of MUST-do's.

My wife and I are in our 60's and are fortunate enough to be able to visit WDW at least once a year if not twice. Do we stand in line to meet the characters? No, but we have often interacted with them - at least my wife has. She is in a wheelchair and the characters and actors seem to go out of their way to greet her and pose for a picture with her. She is treated with dignity and respect and the characters always bring a huge smile to her face. Are these characters real? Of course they are!! Walt would never allow a "fake" Mickey or Cinderella or Toy Story character in Disneyworld. I'm old enough and smart enough to know that.
To those adults that want to stand in line to meet a character, more power to them. They are the ones that are "adult" enough to recognize and openly admit that there is a child in all of us.

Because I can.. And one could ask the same question when people bring babies up to see a character or a kid who is petrified.

Just wait your turn patiently and don't be so concerned about the motivations of others. You'll have a happier trip.

Yes I totally agree, why bring a child under 2 specially during the very hot summer time, I saw so many miserable kids under 2, I understand it wouldn't be right to not have your entire family with you but some parents have no common sence cuz there so caught up in there own moment, kind of like taking a child to shop on Black Friday....Dumb!

What makes me sad is that there are people out there (from what I read here) that make it their business to decide that adults can't be excited about characters and shouldnt wait in lines. Why can't some people let others be?
Who would I be to decide what you can and cant do? (as long as it isnt illegal or indecent of course)
If it makes you happy: go for it!!

I personally don't want to wait in line just for a picture, but I do go to character meals with my husband and we both have loads of fun!:cheer2:

Plus we were lucky enough to be walking in Epcot one day and just passing a door when it opened and about a dozen characters came out. They basically grabbed us and started arguing who would be first to get their pricture taken with us :rotfl: Never had so much fun before :)

And ultimately that's what Disney is about for me: having fun, doing whatever I want (without disturbing others of course) and yes, be a bit silly. I've had a swordfight and a lightsaber fight with a salesassistant, kissed Donald, been stolen by Stitch for a picture. Just plain having fun :) And frankly, wanna go again and CP with Pooh and Tigger is high on the list of MUST-do's.

I agree. I have a friend that wrote on her Facebook status that she just got back from Disney and wanted to shoot all the adults there without kids. She said me and my husband wanted to throw up watching all these adults going to their next adventure. The sad thing was that most of the people that replied to her status agreed with her saying how any adult that goes to Disney without kids needs to get a life and other negative things.

Since when was having fun something you had to stop doing at a certain age.

What I actually don't get is when I see people walking around with children under 1. I mean, they won't even remember it, let alone enjoy it.

My first trip to WDW I was 34 years old. Yes, I stood in line to meet characters, and my 15 year old daughter got autographs, too.

My most recent trip to WDW I was 36 years old. Yes, I stood in line to meet characters. My DD opted not to get autographs this time, though.

Why?

Because the entire reason I go to Disney is to let go of the "real world" for a week, surround myself in the "Disney bubble" full of childhood memories, that childhood fascination and just "be a kid" again. Because I love Disney movies, and I wanted to meet characters, and i don't care if they're not "real" - at Disney, they're real to me.

This last trip, I went and met Aladdin and Jasmine by myself because the teenagers I was with decided to go back to the resort and swim, and I wasn't ready to leave Epcot. Aladdin and I nearly bumped heads and he laughed that we "nearly kissed" and we chatted for a while and it was a great character interaction. I told the girls about it that night, and they wanted to back and meet Aladdin the next day, and lo and behold, I recognized Aladdin.

And when we got up there he recognized ME. "We met yesterday! We nearly kissed!" And he told my daughter how awesome I was, and we took some pics, and at the end, he snuck this in:

aladdin by angierae75, on Flickr

And yes, it was some college kid in a costume but it made my whole day that he remembered me and the girls loved it and it was fun. I wish I had a way of thanking him for making such amazing memories for me, as I was kinda sad that at the last minute, DH was unable to come on the trip with us.

(Excuse the poor picture quality, that's a photo off the screen of our laptop at the resort before we had our actual photopass pics, and I haven't uploaded our photopass pics anywhere shareable yet.)

Well, I don't know about anyone else but this thread has me wanting to cancel my "grown up" anniversary trip to Hawaii and just take my husband to Disney without the kids. I think we'd have a great time!!!! :love::love::love:

We'll just ignore the haters. :hippie:

I'm genuinely curious why adults without kids visit characters. Obviously by that point in your life, you know that it's not *really* Mickey or a princess standing in front of you and you don't actually have Cinderella's signature in your book, so what's the draw to the characters?

I'm asking because on our trip last week, we were in line to see Tiana and there was a couple who were most likely in their mid-20's a couple of families in front of us. They both had autograph books and the guy took an unusually long time talking to Tiana and doing different poses with her. So much so that that one mom in front of us started getting testy and said in a loud voice "Come on. There are KIDS waiting to see her. You had your time."

Now I do get that Disney is not just for kids, but I don't understand why an adult would stand in line to meet a character. Character meals are a little different since you get food there, but all you get in a character line is to meet the character. Can you tell that I really can't wait until my girls don't want to stand in character lines any more? :rotfl2:

Although I know it's not really them, when I'm in Disney World it's a totally different world for me. It's like the outside world doesn't exsist anymore and if I see any of the characters example, Mickey, at that moment in time it *is* Mickey to me! I was addicted to the Chip n Dale cartoons when I was younger but didn't get to go to Disney until I was a teenager and the first time I saw those two characters, I felt star struck and it was *really* them! lol I guess when I was a kid I never ever thought I'd get to meet Chip n Dale. I really do get the Disney magic feeling inside a Disney park, I remember on my last trip it was my last day before going home, I was reading quotes by Walt Disney in the Magic Kingdom and had tears in my eyes, I really didn't want to leave! :cloud9:

Shortly after, the man seated across from us stood up, came over and proceeds to tell us how upset he is that I would come in, without children, throw money around (what?) for special treatment, and take time away from his family. He then went on to tell me that I am no man because a real man wouldn't bring his wife to WDW on our anniversary. He sat back down but continued his rant for close to 20 mins, it only stopped when we were done with our meal and were leaving.

OK, this guy is just a jerk. And that's what his kids are learning, watching him.

We're an adult couple without kids, and we don't visit characters or even eat at character meals. BUT that's only because I'm too shy to feel comfortable making small talk with strangers...even if it's a friend of Cinderella. Otherwise, I would find it a hoot! I love improv, really liked Whose Line back in the day, and to me it would just be enjoying and appreciating that person's talent for improv while staying in character. Yeah, some stock answers to common questions get traded around, like how Snow White only eats green apples now. But even those I find funny and charming. :)

And that's why my 5 year old has to wait just a bit longer...Thanks!

And the same could be said of the adults without kids in line for Peter Pan's Flight...do you begrudge them that, too? They paid their way in just the same as your family and should be able to enjoy all the park has to offer, including meeting characters if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter