• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adults without kids - why do you visit characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I go to Disney for the escapism- no worries about life and no stress, just a lot of fun. I love going on the ferry across to MK so I can get that first sight of the castle across the lake and it always makes me teary eyed.

I know Mickey has a "friend" but it still doesn't stop me from giving him a big hug! Meeting the Fab Five at Epcot was the highlight of the trip- would you believe that in 6 trips that was my first time meeting Mickey and Minnie? :O

Next month with be my first ever trip to WDW. There are lots of things I'm looking forward to, but I think my #1 must do is to meet Mickey Mouse. And since I've been waiting over 20 years to meet him, you will have to excuse me for wanting a picture (and yes, possibly even an autograph). I guess if you've been lucky enough to visit multiple times you might not see the attraction. Just like I do not get why people must stop dead in the middle of the sidewalk here in NYC to take a picture of something that I walk past every day...but I try and forgive them for it b/c I remember what my first visit to NYC was like.

Do you guys sit on santa's lap at the mall as well? If not how is it different?

All I know is that on our last trip, I would not leave without a pic with Darth Vader! :confused3

My sister and I are huge Star Wars fans, and we were at WDW at the same time for the first time in ages - and our only time ever during Star Wars Weekends. We got a pic with the two of us and Vader. That was the only one I've ever posed for in the parks without the kids.

That said, with or without kids we always make it snappy -- we don't chat up the characters while a long line waits -- seems rude to me. But I always go overboard making sure that I'm not putting anyone out in any way, so that's me. :goodvibes

I think the answer is to do with the spirit in which the interactions occur. Santa's legend is that he brings gifts to children at Christmas, so in nearly all cases, as people get older, belief changes and people "grow out" of it. Not to mention that the quality of the experience varies a lot by location. Adults/older teens wanting to meet "Santa" just doesn't fit with the experience.

Now Disney, well Walt himself said that the parks were not just for children, and you only have to look at some of the merchandise and experiences in the parks and resorts to see that Disney today embraces that spirit because they can, through the people they hire and the experiences they create, do something that a lot of adults and a lot of kids love. At the kid level, up to a certain age then they will think it is , for example, "Mickey" whereas adults and older kids "know" that it is not, and never could be, "Mickey" BUT they can believe it is, and that belief, to the degree most people have it, does no harm. Disney makes money. People love the experience. It's the same, basically, as wanting to meet someone famous or a sports star because you are kind of meeting a product than a person, but if the experience is enjoyable then what does it matter as it harms no one.

Earlier in the topic someone was talking about a weird guy getting a picture with Cinderella, then running off to get it framed, then trying to give it to her despite the CM with her trying to get rid of him, and then security having to come. That's obviously someone who wants the experience to be more real than it can be and probably has other issues, putting it mildly. If he just wanted a picture, then that's normal because thats what most adults expect from the character meet and greets and experiences.

I have to admit that on our first visit when we did CRT, and the pictures before the meal, that when it was my turn I did just go and stand next to "Cinderella" and smiled, and "Cinderella" insisted on linking arms for the picture, which did make it a nicer picture and I was cool with that, but I would never have tried to do that without her saying about it first (if that makes sense) because that's my expectation on how the meet and greets work.

I've found all the characters to be very friendly and I'm always happy to just get a nice picture, an autograph sometimes, and I'll make way for the next guest, and I don't in any way begrudge it when younger guests take longer and get more time.

Just my perspective on it and I guess it's the kind of one most adults have on it. :yay:

No, but as the PP said the environment/expectations there are different. Walt went out of his way to ensure that the parks were for kids of all ages (including "adults"). Sitting on Santa's lap is specifically child-oriented in a way that Disney parks were never meant to be.

Because when I'm at the mall, I'm generally there to shop, not to have fun. If Santa was a walkaround character at an amusement park, it'd probably be another story.

I don't sit on the characters' laps either.

However, if I'm at a function where Santa is walking around I'd probably say, "Hi Santa!" and have no problem engaging him conversation about whether I'd been a good girl. It has nothing to do with Santa, and everything to do with his lap.

Ohh, good question!

For me - no, I don't sit on Santa's lap at the mall. But yes I do get my pic taken with the characters at WDW or DL.

The difference to me is there is nothing magical about the mall. Having said that, I know there are people out there who would disagree. My sister would have back when she was a teenager :rotfl:

I do get into the spirit of Santa, filling stockings for less fortunate, etc. but it's not so much about the Santa figure himself. I will, and did, stand in line at the mall to get my infant son's photo taken this past year. And if he wanted me in the pic, I'd sit on Santa's lap.

But Disney makes the theme park experience amazing, transporting you to another world if you choose to let them.

When I am lucky enough to get to go to WDW or DL, I leave the real world behind. I only have my cell phone with me to keep in touch with family. I don't FB, I don't take my laptop, etc.

I took my mom to WDW 3 years ago, I was 40 and she was 61. We had more fun than if we'd been there with the kids and we got our pics taken with most every character we came across.

My mom flirted with Mr. Incredible and Mrs. Incredible acted mad. We probably looked silly, standing there laughing our rears off, but we didn't care. We had a ball and I have pictures and wonderful, wonderful memories of a great trip with my mom.

I honestly don't think I'd stand in line at the mall for a Disney character...it's a park thing for me.

I was surprised at how much I loved our character interactions. Of course I know the characters aren't "real" but they sure do a great job playing their part. My 14 year old DD and I even got a kick out of what the handler's would say when the characters needed a break, "Oh, the White Rabbit needs to go have tea!" and "They must go to their singing lessons now!" (evil step-sisters) were our favorites. :) We were also amused that Chip and Dale performed a little wedding ceremony for the couple in front of us that were on their disneymoon. They took longer than normal but I didn't stand there and think, "Hey, KIDS are waiting!" We, along with everyone else in line, stood there laughing at how sweet it was.

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, in fact, I haven't read it since it was barely a 2 page thread. But in thinking about the topic the last couple of days, it reminded me of a something that happened to me and my wife 3 years ago on our anniversary.

Some history, my wife and I were very lucky to have a long honeymoon of which 14 days were spent at Disney World. Before we had kids, our interaction with the characters was limited to when they would approach us. Now we have kids and we visit so often, meet & greets are a regular thing. However 3 years ago I decided to take my wife back to WDW and recreate part of our honeymoon, no kids of course.

While planning I debated whether I wanted to go to Chef Mickey's. There is some very sentimental reasoning behind going there that only my wife would understand. But without the kids it just isn't our thing to do character meals. I made the decision to go and when we arrived, I asked for a table as out of the way as possible, it wasn't our intention to take fun character time away from families that were there for that. We were seated in the southeast corner of the restaurant against the windows and for the most part had very little character interaction.

My wife had an "anniversary" button on the strap of her purse and our waiter noticed it, so he asked all the characters to come over and get one picture with everyone. Then they brought us special placemats and a special dessert. Shortly after, the man seated across from us stood up, came over and proceeds to tell us how upset he is that I would come in, without children, throw money around (what?) for special treatment, and take time away from his family. He then went on to tell me that I am no man because a real man wouldn't bring his wife to WDW on our anniversary. He sat back down but continued his rant for close to 20 mins, it only stopped when we were done with our meal and were leaving.

We never said one word to him, just listened and smiled, I may have winked at him. But it got me thinking, how this man really had no idea of the magic behind Disney and how sad that was. Disney truely is for everyone, just because I don't see the characters when its just the adults, doesn't mean other adults should be robbed of it.

Phanomouse - how sad for that man's kids! I would have been mortified if one of my parents did something like that. I'm guessing he didn't have a lot of fun on that vacation.

Shortly after, the man seated across from us stood up, came over and proceeds to tell us how upset he is that I would come in, without children, throw money around (what?) for special treatment, and take time away from his family. He then went on to tell me that I am no man because a real man wouldn't bring his wife to WDW on our anniversary. He sat back down but continued his rant for close to 20 mins, it only stopped when we were done with our meal and were leaving.
Wow, what a jerk! I think WDW would be an amazing place to celebrate an anniversary. I am curious as to where a "real man" would take his wife for an anniversary anyway. :confused3

Why? Because I still watch Sleeping Beauty at least once a month. Because Tigger has always been my personality twin. Because I want to discuss my favorite book with Belle. Because Donald always gets really mad if you wear a shirt that says "Mr. Perfect" with Mickey on it (Minnie gets jealous too). Because it's AMAZING that I can get my dad who doesn't 'get' Disney the biggest smile on his face when taking a picture with Pluto.

Because I still believe in the magic. And I always will. If Peter Pan doesn't have to grow up-neither do I. I'm a big kid at heart, and no one will take that away. When I do have kids, I'll look at the 20 something year old girl hugging Aurora the same way I did and I will wait in that line quietly with my kids. And I'll be happy about it.

I don't sit on any characters at WDW either.:lmao:

I do sit on Santa's lap at our family Christmas party & kiss him on the cheek.

At the mall I wave to Santa & he waves & smiles back at me.

Santa is the Spirit of Christmas, not just one person. So I am a little bit Santa, too.

Along the same lines as this, I booked a reservation at Chef Mickys today but after a few hours I started to feel guilty because Im 24 and going with my boyfriend and I feel maybe I should cancel and give the spot up for someone with a child that would appreciate it more than me. I havent been there since I was 10 and wanted to experience it through adult eyes but should I feel guilty? It's been bugging me all day and since I came across a board that relates to it, I mite as well ask! Should I give up the ressie for someone with a child?

Along the same lines as this, I booked a reservation at Chef Mickys today but after a few hours I started to feel guilty because Im 24 and going with my boyfriend and I feel maybe I should cancel and give the spot up for someone with a child that would appreciate it more than me. I havent been there since I was 10 and wanted to experience it through adult eyes but should I feel guilty? It's been bugging me all day and since I came across a board that relates to it, I mite as well ask! Should I give up the ressie for someone with a child?

No. Many have people have said this, but Disney is for adults too. And who knows who the ADR would go to. Can you guarantee that it would go to a family with a child? It's for 2 right? The chances that a family with a child going would need more than 2. Of course there is always a single parent, or whatever, but you can't give the ADR directly for someone. We had an ADR at Crystal Palace for 2. They have tables of 2 because they know that adults are going to make those ADRs too. Don't feel guilty.

I have two ADRs for character meals for my October trip. It's me and my mom, so I guess I'm her child. :thumbsup2 We've gone just two adults to almost every character meal offered, never once did either of us feel we were taking away from anyone. They had the same ADR window we did.

OP,it's because WDW is a place where ADULTS also wear Mouse and Dog Ears on their heads and no one gives them a second look.:)

WDW is a unique,Magical place where Adults really can be as(to quote a famous man:)) "young at heart" as they care to be or don't care to be.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter