• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adults with austim tips

This is cathug10's mom. I appreciate some of the advice given to her.

Her psychiatrist has told her to take challenges. She needs positive support and encouragement. She's travelled with me around Europe, including Romania. We've been across the US. This is the first holiday we are planning together.

It's somewhat overwhelming, with such a large amount of hotels and experiences to choose. This has Cat a bit paniced because of this. Her triggers are criticism, dirty areas, rudeness, poor manners and crowds.

So, we needed practical info - best clean places to stay and eat, best times (like early morning), quiet areas for a break. A nap will be necessary during the hot afternoon.

We live in a small town in Ireland. She's trying new things all the time. She needs to hear good stuff!

My suggestions are as follows: stay out of Hollywood Studios, at least for the first trip. EPCOT and Animal Kingdom are probably the easiest parks to 'manage' in.

There WILL be dirt and there WILL be more poor manners and there WILL be crowds. You can't avoid these. Practice techniques before you go to identify these triggers and, I cannot emphasise this enough, HAVE A PLAN.

Write yourself a social story. What will you do if you are politely walking toward a long line and suddenly a loud crowd of rude people cuts in front of you and laughs? What then?

"I will take a deep breath. Sometimes bad things happen. I cannot control those things, but I can control how I react. I will need to walk away and sit down for a bit. It might help me to hum/rub something between my fingers/flap my hands. Stimming might help make me feel better. Then I will get up and try again. If I don't feel like trying again, it is ok to say that I will go back to the resort for a lie down."

I suggest staying at a moderate or a deluxe resort rather than a value. The rooms are bigger. The Deluxes have patios and add a feeling of spaciousness.

Plan to be at the park about half an hour before it is schedule to open. Use TouringPlans.com to create a touring plan and stick to your schedule. Be sure to take those afternoon breaks.

Challenging yourself is GREAT. But be sure to recognize if maybe it's better to call it a day and head back to your room rather than spoiling your whole holiday.

We got a GAC last time, but then I found I can also wait longer then I used to without a meltdown. So next time we'll get one as insurance but I can probably wait in most lines if we make the effort to get to rope drop or late at night when they aren't as bad.

That's just me though.

OP - Yes, many of the tips for kids will also work for adults (obvious exception is the "stroller as a wheelchair" tip). I think that Clanmcculloch provided some great tips. If you have specific ideas of resort/restaurant, you can post which ones you are considering and people should be able to provide some insight in terms of your triggers.

I loved AKL/Kidani so much because it was nice and quiet, it would be very relaxing after a sensory filled park day! The values are very bright and colourful and loud and I imagine not very restful or good for someone who's already in a sensory overload!

If you can swing it stay on site at a deluxe or a moderate.

Summertime it works best to go at rope drop and take a break around noon when it gets hot and crowded. Use Fast pass. GAC will help with crowds where alternate waiting areas are available. Come back after it cools off if you are up for it. Enjoy the peaceful places at the resorts.

Lot of good get always, our favorites are

Tom Sawyer island MK
2nd floor of the train station MK
Just riding around on the train MK

Gardens in the back of England EP
Train area by Germany EP
Sitting area outside the international gateway EP

Area around beauty and the beast when there is not a performance HS

Small trail when you start crossing over form Africa to Asia AK
Terrace overlooking the river as you pass the mid bridge on the way to Asia AK
Rear seating area as you head toward Kali river rapids (plus you get to laugh at all the soaked people) AK

My mum knows my triggers and will keep me under control. I was fine in DL Paris. I do breathing exercises. The gac is just for incase. I'm also taking calming tablets ( rescue remedy) and they seem to work. I'm not sure of what stimming is but if it is what I think it is I shake my leg and hands.

I just wanted to highlight the experience with DLP. It seemed to me like not everyone saw that.

To the original poster, it sounds like you need to get your mother to help with doing things like planning. That way you can get things down to manageable choices. You have most of a year so work on it in chunks.

WDW is much bigger than DLP. DLP is one park and WDW is four parks (and some of those larger than DLP). I don't know how long you spent at DLP, but it's worth thinking about how long you can spend and how many days in a row you can manage that sort of experience. If possible, I'd really suggest building in some extra time on your trip so that you can take days off from going to any park. There are plenty of things to do at the resorts and you can always just hang around the pool or sleep or walk around. I think you have more coping skills than you think since you did manage DLP well enough that you now want to go to WDW.

That tourig plan sounds great!

Cat has no trouble on rides. We went to Disneyland Paris and went on the Indiana Jones ride. I screamed my head off. She just laughed at me.

We are both doing the planning. Cat changes her mind every day. The hotel budget is 100-120 euro per day. I'm currently looking at villas/condos. I can't drive, so we are looking at public transportation (Lynx). \I need a kitchen and two three beds. I'm bringing a friendforCat(no disability).ometimes Catwantsto stay onresort, sometimesnot. She's myprincess, but I think off-site is best andmoreaffordable. We get upvery early - 6am. We enjoy walking, too.

We wanttogo toDiscovery Coveand swimwithdolphins. Since it's to celebrate my 60thbirthday, I want to go on the scariest rollercoasters possible. Would that be Busch Gardens?

Rudeness and such are all over. I know that. Cat, however, takes everything to heart. She's been severely bulliedand we had to leave my alcoholic husband. Herself esteem ispractically non-existent. Someof the comments here have disillusioned her and made her not want to go. She doesn't wantto admit her triggers. She needssmall goals and this trip will allow her to fulfill a lot of hergoals towards idependence from me. She needs to make decisions about where we go, the costs of hotels, planes, food, restaurants, transportation. We've done it on a small scale. We need to go bigger.

I want her to have a great experience. I want her confidence to grow, even if it is just a little. This is in preparatio for college and a career. Emotionally, she is stuck at 5 yearsold. She's twenty now. She had to be homeschooled by me and graduated secondary school (high school) last year. Shehas Aspergers. I have high functioning autism. We believe the difference is thaqt she wants people around her and friends. I prefer to do things on my own.

I don't want her to emulate me. She needs social interaction. We go to shops and malls and she has started conversations with make up saleswomen. We script before hand and practice until it becomes morecomfortable. We have no family to practice with. Catherine's interests are makeup and special effects. She becomes absolutely obsessed. I need a multiple group of activities to teach her to break her obsessions and move onto something else. She needs stimulation. Then she needs rest to process it. She's on Abilify and Effexor XL. This has made her gain weight. She also has PCOS and substantial facial hair (tried waxing, epilation, depilitories, lasers, shaving). So more embarassing situations to overcome. I know she can do it.

This may help me explain what we are doing this for. Thank you for your patience and help.:wave2:

I know you said you were looking on and offsite. If you stayed on site, you could take Disney transportation free everywhere except discovery cove. You could take Magical Express to and from the airport, and Disney transportation to the parks. Then you could set up a Mears shuttle to Discover Cove. I just don't want you to get overwhelmed trying to figure out the Lynx system and it gives you ability to go back to your room if you all need a break.

Busch Gardens is at least an hour away, so transportation costs might be considerable. I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will chime in.

I know you said you were looking on and offsite. If you stayed on site, you could take Disney transportation free everywhere except discovery cove. You could take Magical Express to and from the airport, and Disney transportation to the parks. Then you could set up a Mears shuttle to Discover Cove. I just don't want you to get overwhelmed trying to figure out the Lynx system and it gives you ability to go back to your room if you all need a break.

Busch Gardens is at least an hour away, so transportation costs might be considerable. I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will chime in.
I agree.

If you want some extreme roller coasters, Universal's Islands of Adventure has some and is much closer (plus has the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, if you are interested in that).
Universl is quite easy to get to from a Disney resort - you can arrange pick up by a Mears bus.

I am an adult with Aspergers who visits the parks frequently.

I've found that it's helpful for me to rent an ECV so that I have a little bit of a "safe space" to prevent people from standing too close or bumping into me. This is usually helpful, especially in some lines, but can be a nightmare for parades. It has been my experience that it feels like parades are the perfect excuse for some rude guests to have their children crowd in front of wheelchairs and ECVs for a better view, but it means that there are then children standing on my legs. We tend to avoid parades because of things like this, though if there is a second later parade in the Magic Kingdom it's usually tolerable in terms of crowd level because most people leave after Wishes. Over the years I've gotten used to Wishes, though I still find Fantasmic and Illuminations to be too loud and bright and close to tolerate. I will often duck into a store and put on noise-canceling headphones during the show.

It does get harder to move through crowds at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot is more open, but can get bad at night when people are attempting to find spots to watch Illuminations. Hollywood Studios does have a lot of loud, crowded areas, but it also has some of the more tranquil spots as well. Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, as much of it is open and peaceful. The one area that tends to bottleneck is the path between Asia and Africa. There is a beautiful quiet path that runs above the main path that is rarely traveled.

I think that staying on property would be a HUGE benefit. My favorite resort is Port Orleans French Quarter, as it is small and quiet. Having access to Extra Magic Hours has been very helpful. We find that the later evenings are preferable to rope drop because it is cooler and less crowded, but have used travel plans for morning trips and done well.

On a hot day, we will often take breaks by riding the monorail back and forth between the TTC and Epcot. It's very cool and peaceful. Prior to trying each new thing, we watch a video on YouTube of each show or attraction so that I know what to expect - I can't stand surprises :)

Above all else, relax. A little bit of preparation goes a long way, and I am sure it will be a good trip.

I am an adult with Aspergers who visits the parks frequently.

I've found that it's helpful for me to rent an ECV so that I have a little bit of a "safe space" to prevent people from standing too close or bumping into me. This is usually helpful, especially in some lines, but can be a nightmare for parades. It has been my experience that it feels like parades are the perfect excuse for some rude guests to have their children crowd in front of wheelchairs and ECVs for a better view, but it means that there are then children standing on my legs. We tend to avoid parades because of things like this, though if there is a second later parade in the Magic Kingdom it's usually tolerable in terms of crowd level because most people leave after Wishes. Over the years I've gotten used to Wishes, though I still find Fantasmic and Illuminations to be too loud and bright and close to tolerate. I will often duck into a store and put on noise-canceling headphones during the show.

It does get harder to move through crowds at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot is more open, but can get bad at night when people are attempting to find spots to watch Illuminations. Hollywood Studios does have a lot of loud, crowded areas, but it also has some of the more tranquil spots as well. Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, as much of it is open and peaceful. The one area that tends to bottleneck is the path between Asia and Africa. There is a beautiful quiet path that runs above the main path that is rarely traveled.

I think that staying on property would be a HUGE benefit. My favorite resort is Port Orleans French Quarter, as it is small and quiet. Having access to Extra Magic Hours has been very helpful. We find that the later evenings are preferable to rope drop because it is cooler and less crowded, but have used travel plans for morning trips and done well.

On a hot day, we will often take breaks by riding the monorail back and forth between the TTC and Epcot. It's very cool and peaceful. Prior to trying each new thing, we watch a video on YouTube of each show or attraction so that I know what to expect - I can't stand surprises :)

Above all else, relax. A little bit of preparation goes a long way, and I am sure it will be a good trip.

Thank you that's exactly what I wanted.
I've been obsessed with watching disney videos so I'll know what to expect.
Also we weren't planning on going to parades.

Thank you that's exactly what I wanted.
I've been obsessed with watching disney videos so I'll know what to expect.
Also we weren't planning on going to parades.

Just wanted to encourage you just a bit. I have an adult daughter with Asperger's and was reading posts looking for advice surrounding our next trip to Disney, too.
A touring plan for her is VERY important. She and I discuss before the trip what her expectations are. We are very specific as to what she is expecting to happen as it really needs to happen that way for her. If it can't happen that way, then I can prepare her for that.
I would encourage staying on site if possible. Transportation is helpful and easier to get back to your hotel at anytime.
Staying on property also allows for early entry into the park and this touring time is without big crowds. Very helpful for us. Usually counter service works better for us, but she can do table service if se do an early breakfast, lunch or dinner slot. Early usually means less crowded.

One thing that helps my daughter when we are standing in lines is the order we stand in. We are a family of 5. So we go 2, my daughter, then the other 2. That way she is not next to a stranger. It reduces her stress thus she tolerates the line better.

Watch as many videos about Disney as possible. It will help you know what to expect and plus it is fun!

On a personal note, I really just encourage you. I know it is hard for my daughter. But you can learn to do most anything. It just takes time and maybe a little different path. ::yes:: Just keep trying. Our daughter got her driving license this past Dec. It took 10, yes 10, years of practice. She only drives in our small town at 30 mph, but she drives! It makes her fell 10 feet tall! So hang in there!

It is great that your Mom is so helpful and understanding. I really encourage you to start learning all you can about yourself! As you do learn what your triggers are, then you can learn to avoid them. You can also learn how to help yourself to cope for when your Mom is not there to help you. This will help you to become more independent. Remember that it is a journey, not an automatic happening. Just keep working at it and it will slowly happen for you! And remember that everyone has ups and downs and challenges. We all have something to work on.

I really hope you have a fun trip!

Not time to post much, but my niece with Asperger's did take longer to get a driver's license and to decide what she wanted to do in life.
Unknowns stressed her out.
She does have a Bachelor degree in Science and one in Nursing, plus a Master's in Nursing. She has a great job that combines her Nursing skills with science and computers.
It may take more time, but things will work out :goodvibes

Hi Cathug10! Good for you for being so proactive about your trip and posting your questions here! I am mostly a lurker but your thread has brought me out from the shadows. :)

I have a 25 year old son who has some of the same trigger points as you. We went to DW two years ago and had some good days and some bad days. The bad days were at the beginning of the trip, until we learned what worked for him.

We stayed at a condo off site and rented a car. The crowds at the public transportation for the Disney hotels are too overwhelming for him and walking the quiet, though admittedly hot, parking lots to the car was much more calming to him. He's also always considered a car a safe zone so it was nice to know he had a car to go back to. And the condo was a safe place away from the noise and rudeness.

We did go early in the morning to avoid crowds and he also got a GAC. He didn't need it all the time but it was good to have it when he did.

We had a plan, really a theme, going into each park and stayed there as long as he wanted. We only did extras if he was okay with them. (For example, Magic Kingdom: Peter Pan and Pirates of the Carribbean, Hollywood Studios: Star Wars, Animal Kingdom: Lion King)

His favorite park was surprisingly Epcot World Showcase because it was quieter and spread out so never seemed to be crowded and overwhelming. Plus he likes to shop and eat, and it was the perfect place for that! We spent a whole day there midweek, which was a nice break from all the rides and hubbub of the other parks.

One additional place he loved for a quiet spot was the rose garden at Magic Kingdom, which is at the center of the park and allows a peaceful place to watch the rest of the park from a distance.

I hope these few tips help you with your planning! We did not do a lot of the big rides on this last trip but are planning on fixing that this December with a trip to both DW and Universal. Good luck on your trip and have a great time!

I'm planning my first trip to Disney for October. I'm going with my fiancé, who is Aspie, but has been to the parks before (granted, it was 20 years ago). It's very difficult to find tips on bringing Autistic adults to the parks, so I'm glad this is here. He knows his triggers and we're planning around it- we may try to get a GAC, but we are going to bring him earplugs, using touring plans and having an itinerary (I have an ADHD diagnosis, and have made no promises about how I will act when let loose in Disney for the first time- therefore I'm writing everything down and giving it to him to keep track of). His mom said he loved it as a kid, though, and we're going in early October so crowds should be down... I'm also bribing him with Epcot Food & Wine... Thanks to everyone who has posted in this forum!:thumbsup2

Epcot can get very crowded for Food and Wine, especially around the different booths and kiosks. Something that we do every year to try and help with that is to first read the F&W articles on disneyfoodblog.com in the days leading up to the trip to pick out the "must-try" items and familiarize ourselves with the layout of the booth and the look of the food. Then we section off the park and make a game out of it. For example - We choose the booths between Canada and England (and then from France to Japan, and so on and so on, but one at a time). We ask at the first booth for a box or a container to carry the small plates, and just beeline from booth to booth till we meet the objective... and then we take them out of the park and have a nice picnic on a totally quiet bench just on the outside of the International Gateway entrance where there is shade and a little garden. It means a little more stress in the short term but the "game" aspect helps a bit and then the downtime is very pleasant. Our stopping picnic point on the other side of the park is near the tea cart in China, which is often also empty. If it gets to be evening my family will often have me save space for Illuminations for them while they run around for different snacks or treats, and then they arrive in time for the show while I take the opportunity to head into a store or even over to the Beach Club to watch the boats cross a little ways away from all the bright lights and booms :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter