• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adults only Safari trip

disney212

DIS Veteran
Anyone taken the adults only safari trip? What did you like and dislike? What were the ages of the folks taking the trip. DH and I want to take this trip and will be in our mid-40's. We don't want to try to keep up with a bunch of folks on honeymoon's but don't want to have to move slower if we get grouped with a more senior group. I assume ABD is good about covering all attendees. What about those with slight invisible disabilities, of most concern is the bathroom facilities as I have Crohn's disease. I have worked and lived in Europe and no problems there.

I haven't taken this trip, but I can tell you that ABD is really good about knowing where all the bathrooms are, and scheduling loads of bathroom breaks. I have bladder issues, among other things, so I was really grateful for that!

Sayhello

Thanks for the update on the restroom facilities. Sorry to hear it is an issue for you too!

My mom and I went on the Safari to South Africa. It was not an adults only trip, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. Just as a reference the kids on our trip ranged from 11-20 (the 20 year old was the oldest of several sibling on the trip). I was the next youngest at 23 and there was a couple with grandchildren, so maybe in their 60s. My mom might have been the eldest at 65. So the rest of the adults were likely in their mid 30s to mid 50s. I think it would be rather similar on the adults only trips. Do to the cost, younger folks won't outnumber you.;) IMHO, anyway.

As to the restrooms: this is always a concern for me and I'm glad I'm not alone. I found it no problem at all. We never went more than 2 to 2.5 hours without a restroom and there is one on the bus should you have an "emergency" before the next scheduled stops. They always point out the bathrooms. Even once when we were told we would not have time at one of the airports, someone needed it and we were accomodated and no one was the worse for it.

The only issue you may have is on the safaris. They tend to last about 3 to 3.5 hours. There are no restrooms on the safaris. As Craig will tell you, every tree/bush is a lavatory. You simply let the driver know you need a stop and they do. Toilet tissue and hand sanitizer are provided by the guides. It's not glamorous and/or desirable, but our tracker and guides did use the tree lavatories. I found the best way to avoid needing them (I do not have Crohn's so I don't know how much this will help you) was to avoid coffee/tea in the morning/afternoon. There is coffee/tea in the morning before the safari, so I'd skip the drink and just have a cracker or two. After the morning safari, there is a true breakfast. Feel free to indulge here, you have several hours before the next safari. Then there's lunch, followed by afternoon tea. At this point, I skipped the tea and just had cake or cookies as a snack. After the afternoon safari, you have dinner. They also provide coffee, tea and hot chocolate on the safari. I'd also advise skipping these if you don't want to use the tree lavatories. I just waited until breakfast to have my coffee and had my tea directly after lunch rather than waiting until the appointed "tea time."

Have an amazing time! It is truly the trip of a lifetime!

My mom and I went on the Safari to South Africa. It was not an adults only trip, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. Just as a reference the kids on our trip ranged from 11-20 (the 20 year old was the oldest of several sibling on the trip). I was the next youngest at 23 and there was a couple with grandchildren, so maybe in their 60s. My mom might have been the eldest at 65. So the rest of the adults were likely in their mid 30s to mid 50s. I think it would be rather similar on the adults only trips. Do to the cost, younger folks won't outnumber you.;) IMHO, anyway.

As to the restrooms: this is always a concern for me and I'm glad I'm not alone. I found it no problem at all. We never went more than 2 to 2.5 hours without a restroom and there is one on the bus should you have an "emergency" before the next scheduled stops. They always point out the bathrooms. Even once when we were told we would not have time at one of the airports, someone needed it and we were accomodated and no one was the worse for it.

The only issue you may have is on the safaris. They tend to last about 3 to 3.5 hours. There are no restrooms on the safaris. As Craig will tell you, every tree/bush is a lavatory. You simply let the driver know you need a stop and they do. Toilet tissue and hand sanitizer are provided by the guides. It's not glamorous and/or desirable, but our tracker and guides did use the tree lavatories. I found the best way to avoid needing them (I do not have Crohn's so I don't know how much this will help you) was to avoid coffee/tea in the morning/afternoon. There is coffee/tea in the morning before the safari, so I'd skip the drink and just have a cracker or two. After the morning safari, there is a true breakfast. Feel free to indulge here, you have several hours before the next safari. Then there's lunch, followed by afternoon tea. At this point, I skipped the tea and just had cake or cookies as a snack. After the afternoon safari, you have dinner. They also provide coffee, tea and hot chocolate on the safari. I'd also advise skipping these if you don't want to use the tree lavatories. I just waited until breakfast to have my coffee and had my tea directly after lunch rather than waiting until the appointed "tea time."

Have an amazing time! It is truly the trip of a lifetime!

Thanks! You provided a lot of great info. Glad you enjoyed it so much! We are so excited. Did you do a trip report or have any photos you could share?

Glad the info helped. I did do a quick trip report, rather than a day by day report. I prefer not to post photos of myself, so I left photos out. The trip report is in the sticky. I'm not sure how to add the link to this post. Perhaps Sayhello can help me out here. I'm technologically challenged. I found abbyjt's trip report extremely helpful. The intinerary seemed very similar, although we did not go whale watching and we did make it Table Mountain. We were very lucky to have a clear day.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that you have. I simply don't have the patience to write a detailed trip report and add photos. That being said, I never tire of talking about the trip. I'm so excited for you. I wish I could do it all over again.

Glad the info helped. I did do a quick trip report, rather than a day by day report. I prefer not to post photos of myself, so I left photos out. The trip report is in the sticky. I'm not sure how to add the link to this post. Perhaps Sayhello can help me out here. I'm technologically challenged. I found abbyjt's trip report extremely helpful. The intinerary seemed very similar, although we did not go whale watching and we did make it Table Mountain. We were very lucky to have a clear day.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions that you have. I simply don't have the patience to write a detailed trip report and add photos. That being said, I never tire of talking about the trip. I'm so excited for you. I wish I could do it all over again.
Happy to help! :thumbsup2

Here's the link to NoraG's Trip Report:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2949824

Sayhello

Hi! My DH are traveling to Africa in the Fall, not on this tour, but on an 18 day safari to Kenya and Tanzania. Can you give my any tips at all, I'm such a newbie to this! Especially how you survived the flights, packing (we're getting a duffle over the Summer) and what did you pack that was a "must have"? Was there anything you packed that you didn't use? And dumb question, did the tented cabins have hair dryers? Sorry about that one, probably not. I need so much help and there's no Dis for our tour! Thanks so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter