• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adults only 40th birthday trip

wheredreamsbegin

DIS Veteran
I just decided to plan a trip to WDW for my husband's 40th birthday. :cool1: We'll be staying at the Boardwalk for three nights at the end of August. Since we'll be traveling without the kids, we want to be sure to eat at some of the restaurants that we don't choose to go to with the kids. Some restaurants that I'm thinking of are Flying Fish, Bluezoo, Citricos, and Narcoossee's. What are your favorites? What am I forgetting? When is California Grill scheduled to reopen?

We will probably schedule dinners for two nights of our trip. Please help me decide where to go!

Thanks!

If you are looking for the most adult experience, bluezoo is going to be the one you definitely want. I dine here every vacation and there's rarely any children. The tables are spaced pretty far apart and it's quiet and adult here. The food is superior to the others on your list and I've always had excellent service here. The drinks are fantastic; my favorite is the serenity martini. I have loved every dish I've had here. I highly recommend the scallop appetizer. If you are going to do dessert this is the place; with their award winning pasty chef every dessert has been divine.

Next on your list, I would pick Citricos. The menu, although limited, has some fairly tasty choices and the presentation is good. Service has always been excellent and although the restaurant is not going to give you a "wow" for decor, the food makes up for it. I recommend dining late and maybe you will be lucky and enjoy a quiet meal.

Both Flying Fish and Narcoosees are loud restaurants full of families. Narcoosees sits on a dock and has wood floors and because it's the darling of the fireworks viewing crowd, it is always packed. Flying Fish has an open kitchen and the noise really carries. I think the food is much better at Flying Fish. Narcoosees is my second to least favorite signature.

I would rank the signature dining experiences as V&A, bluezoo, Il Mulino, Shulas, Citricos, Flying Fish, Jiko, Brown Derby, Ca Grill, Monsieur Paul, Wolfgang Pucks The Dining Room, Artist Point/Yachtsman (tied), Fultons, Narcoosees, Le Cellier.

I would rank the signature dining experiences as V&A, bluezoo, Il Mulino, Shulas, Citricos, Flying Fish, Jiko, Brown Derby, Ca Grill, Monsieur Paul, Wolfgang Pucks The Dining Room, Artist Point/Yachtsman (tied), Fultons, Narcoosees, Le Cellier.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I really appreciate your suggestions!

When is California Grill scheduled to reopen?
Not until around the 1st of September, it could open earlier but I wouldn't count on it and they haven't even said when they will start taking ADRs.

Are you going to be on a dining plan or paying out of pocket?

My Dad just surprised my Mom with a 40th birthday trip and they did V&A's and LOVED IT!!!

They did and loved Le Cellier, Jiko, and Flying Fish :thumbsup2

I think Artist Point is another good option if you are looking for Disney Signatures especially :)

Not until around the 1st of September, it could open earlier but I wouldn't count on it and they haven't even said when they will start taking ADRs.

Are you going to be on a dining plan or paying out of pocket?

Thank you for that information. I wasn't thinking of making an ADR. I was thinking that if it was open, we could have sushi at the bar...something that we wouldn't do when we're with the kids.

We will be paying out of pocket.

My Dad just surprised my Mom with a 40th birthday trip and they did V&A's and LOVED IT!!!

They did and loved Le Cellier, Jiko, and Flying Fish :thumbsup2

I think Artist Point is another good option if you are looking for Disney Signatures especially :)

Oooo, I forgot about Jiko and Artist Point. Thank you!!!!

I agree with Pakey. Since you're paying OOP, the non-Disney signatures are a better option. bluezoo would be my recommendation also.

Thank you for that information. I wasn't thinking of making an ADR. I was thinking that if it was open, we could have sushi at the bar...something that we wouldn't do when we're with the kids.

We will be paying out of pocket.

You may want to try Kimonos for sushi. I think it's as good as Ca Grill and since you are staying at the Boardwalk, it will be a lot more convenient.

Agree with the others on Bluezoo. Also don't give up on Flying Fish, we stayed at the BC for my 40th birthday trip, and I was happy to have my actual 40th dinner at FF. The food is always great there. Yes, you'll have kids around you, but you're in Disney World, do you really care?? :)

Well, I've decided that three nights is not long enough for this trip. There's far too much eating to do! We're definitely planning on Flying Fish or Bluezoo. I think we might want to have dinner at Raglan Road too. My husband originally requested Kouzzina, but I don't know if we'll have time. I would really like to squeeze in some other restaurants instead. (I keep forgetting that this is HIS birthday trip :)

No trouble let us know what you decide on :cool1:

So, here's what I have so far:

Day 1
Sanaa (lunch)
Kouzzina (dinner)

Day 2
Tutto Gusto Wine Bar (lunch)
Le Cellier (dinner) This may change to Raglan Road or Artist Point

Day 3
Kona, GFC, or The Wave (lunch)
Flying Fish (dinner)

Day 4
Boma (breakfast)

What do you think?

I should mention that my DH has yet to look at a menu. This is his birthday trip and I really want to make sure that we eat where he wants to eat; however, I just couldn't wait any longer to start making ADRs! Hopefully he'll like what I've picked. If not, I may have to make some changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter