Adults not riding certain rides...

dec301

Earning My Ears
If you, the adult, do not want to ride with your kids on certain rides, do you stand in line with them or do you let them go by themselves. The kids are 9 and 12 (boy & girl). Maybe I'm just overprotective (and it's our first Dis trip) but I'm having a hard time with them possibly standing in line for 30-60 minutes by themselves. What is your experience? Thanks!

If it was that long of a wait, I would wait in line with them. But I'm overprotective too.

If you, the adult, do not want to ride with your kids on certain rides, do you stand in line with them or do you let them go by themselves. The kids are 9 and 12 (boy & girl). Maybe I'm just overprotective (and it's our first Dis trip) but I'm having a hard time with them possibly standing in line for 30-60 minutes by themselves. What is your experience? Thanks!

I'd not worry a bit about the standing in line.

My concern would be what happens if the ride stops for a technical breakdown and the kids are "alone" stranded on the ride for 10-30-45 minutes.

I admit my wife and I are overprotective, and our children/nephews who come along still younger, but when time comes, I would maybe do it if I had some sort of periodic/frequent cell/text checkin (but in all honesty my wife-and i- would prob want me to be in line, even if a little behind to give some independence. Unfortunately my work has historically exposed me to worst of society, including murderers, drjg dealers and pedophiles, so a bit jaded). Disney guidelines require any unaccompanied rider to be at least 7 for most rides, and "suggest" guests be at least 10 to be in other parts of park without accompaniment, and define accompaniment as someone at least 14. Presjmably their guidelines are based on something- a long wait for ride is sort of hybrid.

You can always wait in line, then exit right at the boarding spot when the kids get on. Pretty sure all the rides have that ability since people back out frequently once they get up close and see exactly what they are in for. Our family rides everything except Mission Space because I'm a bit claustrophobic. Once in a while we don't want to ride a second (or third) time but the kids do. Our kids were 14 and 10 last trip, so we watched them enter the ride and went and waited right where the ride exits.

Can you get FPs for the ride so the wait won't be that long? Or head to that ride at rope drop?

I've waited in line with them when they were younger, and took the chicken exit to meet them when they were finished riding. Now I just send them off on their own. I do my own thing when they ride (I might do the People Mover while they are on Space Mountain, browse the gift shop at EE, etc.) and then we meet up afterward.

We ride everything together... but it does create some friction from DS14 who wants to ride only the BIG attractions.

I actually suggested he hang out with his sister (11) this year when we go for some "teen-time", but I doubt that will happen.

I think they would be fine, though I agree that shorter waits would be better. If you decide it's okay, just give them a cell phone and have them check in with you from time to time.

Have a fantastic vacation.

:)

I'd estimate that the probability for "stranger danger" (or any other kind)
in a random ride queue, full of dozens... to hundreds... of other guests (mostly families) would be near 0.0%. (If someone wanted to "remove" or otherwise "distress" the kids, that villain's face and actions would be seen by dozens and dozens of other guests in the queue.)

But again, what happens if the ride stops for a technical breakdown and the kids are "alone" stranded on the ride for 10-30-45 minutes.

The reason I'm stressing this is that it a very real possibility considering the more recent situation of major attraction shutdowns at WDW.

Would that happen?
I'd say it has a much, MUCH higher likelihood than any kind of waiting-in-line "negative situation."

And, yes, a cell phone would be a must-have for the kids and you.
(Or anyone who was going to be separated from the rest of a group or individual at WDW.)

I'd like to stand in line with them because I like that line time with my kids :dance3: We talk and giggle, look at stuff...it's a nice time to connect (maybe I'm the only one that likes this, lol).

My two middle kids will be 12 and 10 on our next trip, and I think that's an okay age to let them stretch their wings a little and go without me if the line was short and the ride was something low-key. Just depends on the situation for us (crowd level, what kind of ride, where it lets out, how familiar they are with the ride, etc).

I'd like to stand in line with them because I like that line time with my kids :dance3: We talk and giggle, look at stuff...it's a nice time to connect (maybe I'm the only one that likes this, lol).

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Although our boys are older now & will go off by themselves (18 & almost 16) we would always wait in line with them when they were younger for exactly the reason mentioned above. You can always duck out near the load point & meet up with them at the off-load. They don't need to know why you are doing it.

Thanks everyone! I will wait in line with them....being our first time there, I wanted to be sure I could just exit when they get on. We are leaving tomorrow and of course I am hoping that we don't even encounter 1 hr waits. LOL But if we do....I'm prepared. Thanks again!

When they're that age, it depends on the kids. If they're good about noticing what's going on around them, I'd let them go. But if they tend to zone out or are easily distracted, maybe not.

We walk all the way through the line with them and then let them ride. :) We mostly do this to ensure they do not get bullied in line.

With fastpass and a cell phone, absolutely let them go alone. :thumbsup2

It really makes them feel very grown up. I love to give my 12 yo daughter little calculated bits of freedom at Disney. She enjoys feeling trusted and give us a chance to let her spread her wings under somewhat controlled circumstances.

If one of them has a cell phone and they will stay together, I wouldn't worry AT ALL. If it was just 1 of them alone, I might have a different opinion, but they will be in full view of dozens/hundreds of families and with 2 of them they should be absolutely fine. Its a great to build confidence in a very secure environment!

Thanks everyone! I will wait in line with them....being our first time there, I wanted to be sure I could just exit when they get on. We are leaving tomorrow and of course I am hoping that we don't even encounter 1 hr waits. LOL But if we do....I'm prepared. Thanks again!

First trip tomorrow? You must be bursting at the seams with excitement :woohoo:

If you do let them go alone, make sure you know where the ride exits and make a meeting point they will be able to find.

Have a really great trip!!!!!

First trip tomorrow? You must be bursting at the seams with excitement :woohoo:

If you do let them go alone, make sure you know where the ride exits and make a meeting point they will be able to find.

Have a really great trip!!!!!

Thanks! I'm sure it will be great! I am excited and nervous all at the same time! LOL Usually our vacations consist of driving to the beach and relaxing on the sand all week. :beach: This is going to be quite different!

My two middle kids will be 12 and 10 on our next trip, and I think that's an okay age to let them stretch their wings a little and go without me if the line was short and the ride was something low-key. Just depends on the situation for us (crowd level, what kind of ride, where it lets out, how familiar they are with the ride, etc).

This is the way I would approach it. Luckily DH likes the low-key rides and I like the thrill rides, so one of us always wants to ride too :).

I totally agree. If the wait is longer than 5-10 mins then we wait with them until they get to the front of the line. When we were at MK during nighttime EMH in Dec & BTMRR was a 5-min walk-on we just sat & relaxed & watched them go through the line, out the exit, back in line, out the exit, back in line.... until they were green after their 5th time riding it back to back.

My niece is 13 now so I don't worry *as much* but she still gets overwhelmed & I don't like making her a substitute parent to DD during long line waits.... it causes tension between them & at WDW I just want them to focus on having fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter