Adults in Costume....

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the party info pages on the Disney site, MNSSHP states "Dress up in your favorite costume" and the page for MVMCP mentions nothing about costumes. While it doesn't say specifically say you can't dress up, I would assume it is not something they felt they need to warn people not to do because costumes and Christmas do not go together.

I'm not big on assumptions. And seriously, I don't think anyone would take issue with it. Really, what's the harm?

I'm not big on assumptions. And seriously, I don't think anyone would take issue with it. Really, what's the harm?

Honestly, I couldn't care less if someone dressed up for MVMCP. I'm just trying to provide information for the OP. It definitely isn't the norm, otherwise the answer to the question would be common knowledge by now. :goodvibes

Cosplayer= one who participates in cosplay (aka dressing up)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

Thank you - I thought it was a typo.

OP, no it would not be appropriate to dress up in some anime costume for a WDW hard ticket event that does not involve a culture of wearing costumes. Since here in the US we do not wear costumes for Christmas, it would not be suitable. Just like it would not be suitable to wear a cosplay costume anywhere that wasn't involved in a cosplay event?

Thank you - I thought it was a typo.

OP, no it would not be appropriate to dress up in some anime costume for a WDW hard ticket event that does not involve a culture of wearing costumes. Since here in the US we do not wear costumes for Christmas, it would not be suitable. Just like it would not be suitable to wear a cosplay costume anywhere that wasn't involved in a cosplay event?

LOL!!! Oh dear... You've misinterpreted the term cosplayer. It is not -just- anime, it is all encomposing genres. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, North American Animation, Anime, comics, games, original design etc etc etc.... I was (and for MNSSHP) planning on disney themed costumes, which I've done before.

As for Heroes of Cosplay that is a very very VERY bad representation on just what cosplayers actually are :|

This is not however a discussion on cosplay appropriateness however or just what -it- is, or if it is appropriate to wear at non-convention environments. ( A lot of us make our costumes to go 'on site' for photoshoots etc.... ) it is just for finding out what their policy is. I have a feeling I'll probably end up going right to Disney to see what they say.

LOL!!! Oh dear... You've misinterpreted the term cosplayer. It is not -just- anime, it is all encomposing genres. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, North American Animation, Anime, comics, games, original design etc etc etc.... I was (and for MNSSHP) planning on disney themed costumes, which I've done before.

As for Heroes of Cosplay that is a very very VERY bad representation on just what cosplayers actually are :|

This is not however a discussion on cosplay appropriateness however or just what -it- is, or if it is appropriate to wear at non-convention environments. ( A lot of us make our costumes to go 'on site' for photoshoots etc.... ) it is just for finding out what their policy is. I have a feeling I'll probably end up going right to Disney to see what they say.

Wait are you going to the Halloween or the Xmas party. Your op talked about the Xmas party. As posted above for Halloween pretty much anything goes.

Oh and did hear that syfy really messed up in the fake drama they manufactured for heroes of cosplay

Wait are you going to the Halloween or the Xmas party. Your op talked about the Xmas party. As posted above for Halloween pretty much anything goes.

Oh and did here that syfy really messed up in the fake drama they manufactured for heroes of cosplay

We're actually going to both parties (because I'm crazy and I've only been to Disney once and I demand satisfaction!). Worse case scenario I'll end up disneybounding to the Christmas Party. It was mostly I wanted to get photos with my Elsa costume in the park with all the christmas decorations *sigh* the plight of cosplay.

Eh... Heroes of Cosplay showed a really negative side of the hobby, it's also not that competitive, and there are very VERY few conventions that give out any kind of prizes beyond ribbons and pieces of paper that say 'congratulations!'. Most of the ones featured on that show were given those prizes by SyFy :|. 90% of it was also scripted.

There is a good chance that you will get 20 different answers. ;):rotfl:

It depends on what you mean by costume. We saw many people in regular park clothes, some were wearing Christmas Hats/Scarves/Shirts. Other people were in Christmas costumes. We saw an adult dressed as an elf and they absolutely weren't a CM.

If you have an Elsa costume that looks too much like the real Elsa so that you might be mistaken for her in the park, Disney will ask you to change. Especially at a Christmas party where no one else will be dressed up. It's their policy that you cant dress like the Disney characters outside of the halloween parties. Sorry. I think 'Disneybounding' will be your best option. That or bring your Elsa and a change in case they catch you at the front gate. They have turned Guests away before for dressing too much like a character.

Hello Moonie,

During MNSSHP, as long as you follow these guidelines the sky is the limit.

Costumes-
For the Safety of your child and others, please adhere to the guildelines below
Halloween costumes should NOT:
Obstruct the guest's view or interfere with their ability to board/unload from attractions and or transportation systems
Drag on the ground
Contain sharp or pointed objects or material that may accidentally strike another guest
Be offensive to other guests
Contain any weapons which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon

Some people definitely dress to the cosplay skill level, and dress as accurate representations of Disney Characters.

tumblr_mbkbqjpMvH1qght35o1_500.jpg

If you do this, be mindful that CMs may take you to task if they think you are acting like or pretending to be a cast member, like posing for pictures with other guests or signing autographs. I went this previous year in a Batman/Mickey costume similar to my avatar that was no where near as good a costume as the Rapunzel costume above but I still had lots of other guests who wanted a picture with me, some of whom did think I was part of the show; I always made plain I wasn't a CM but posed for pictures anyway.

I haven't been to MVMCP, but I'm guessing you'll have to take your chances there and be ready to adapt, and that authentic cosplay is less likely to be tolerated than something simple. They don't appear to have any special exceptions for dress at the Christmas party like they do for Halloween. Their main concern here is you being mistaken for a CM (not just a character but any CM). We've seen reports here of men who looked like Santa Claus but didn't dress like him getting in trouble with Disney for acting like him, but some folks also report seeing people dressed like elfs and such. Good luck!

If you have an Elsa costume that looks too much like the real Elsa so that you might be mistaken for her in the park, Disney will ask you to change. Especially at a Christmas party where no one else will be dressed up. It's their policy that you cant dress like the Disney characters outside of the halloween parties. Sorry. I think 'Disneybounding' will be your best option. That or bring your Elsa and a change in case they catch you at the front gate. They have turned Guests away before for dressing too much like a character.

This. Particularly if you're going as the uber popular Elsa (during Christmas). No way will they allow a realistic looking costume of her to be walking around, potentially mobbed by fans of the character.

Much thanks!!!

It's sad to see so much negativity on other threads about this topic. I'm a Cosplayer which is why I was asking in the first place. Halloween is the perfect event for us.

DD is a big Cosplayer. She was on the SyFy show Heroes of Cosplay. While she was in the hall, Ya Ya checked out her costume - episode Anime Matsuri. One of her buds placed and was at the end. They are over here all the time making costumes.

We're actually going to both parties (because I'm crazy and I've only been to Disney once and I demand satisfaction!). Worse case scenario I'll end up disneybounding to the Christmas Party. It was mostly I wanted to get photos with my Elsa costume in the park with all the christmas decorations *sigh* the plight of cosplay.

Eh... Heroes of Cosplay showed a really negative side of the hobby, it's also not that competitive, and there are very VERY few conventions that give out any kind of prizes beyond ribbons and pieces of paper that say 'congratulations!'. Most of the ones featured on that show were given those prizes by SyFy :|. 90% of it was also scripted.

People have been waiting 5 hours to meet Elsa, and I'm not even sure an adult would be able to wear her costume to MNSSHP if it looks like the real deal. Even though you may not encourage it, people will mob you for pictures and Disney will be watching you like a hawk. Sounds like a miserable night.

I guess I don't see any gray area here. The ONLY time an adult can wear a costume in a park is for MNSSHP. Otherwise adults are limited to Disney-inspired outfits, NOT costumes. referring to the Pirate and Princess party is irrelevant because it doesn't exist any more. The OP clearly said she wanted to wear an Elsa costume to the park at a time that was not during a MNSSHP. It's not allowed. Plain and simple. Quit trying to look for loopholes that aren't there.

DD is a big Cosplayer. She was on the SyFy show Heroes of Cosplay. While she was in the hall, Ya Ya checked out her costume - episode Anime Matsuri. One of her buds placed and was at the end. They are over here all the time making costumes.

And while the show may have escalated the drama, it still showed the creativity and talent of these artists. I mean, some Cosplayers do metal working, leather craft, and more. It is crazy how skilled they are.

I guess I don't see any gray area here. The ONLY time an adult can wear a costume in a park is for MNSSHP. Otherwise adults are limited to Disney-inspired outfits, NOT costumes. referring to the Pirate and Princess party is irrelevant because it doesn't exist any more. The OP clearly said she wanted to wear an Elsa costume to the park at a time that was not during a MNSSHP. It's not allowed. Plain and simple. Quit trying to look for loopholes that aren't there.

Ah, c'mon, mom, all the kids are doing it, you're so unfaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiir.

We were at the Xmas party, many people had on light up things...

I had a string of xmas lights around my neck, dh wore mickey mouse ears that lite up, my DD had a mickey mouse necklace that lite up.

No costumes.

On our next visit we are planning on attending the Halloween party, we all will be dressed up :)

first, i have no interest in wearing a costume so this isn't a defense of something I want to do.

QUOTE="chartle;50443867"]

Not on the Tickets but as part of Da Rules.

ETA: Here are Da Rules but I swear it used to have an exception specifically spelling out that the MNSSHP was exempt but with a few extra ones like no full face masks. :confused3

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/recommended-dress/[/QUOTE]

Right. It *used to be stronger*. Now it is not. It has changed. How do we know? Because the wording was changed.

I disagree. The info we all remember isn't in disney's rules anymore.

What is there is:

"Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character."

Do we decide that "can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character" modifies only "clothing" or do we think it modifies "costumes or clothing"?

IMO if its the former then there would be a comma.

"Adult costumes, or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character."

That's much stronger in stating that ANY adult costumes are not allowed.

Without the comma it's nothing BUT a grey area.

.......the MNSSHP was exempt but with a few extra ones like no full face masks. :confused3

That's a myth that won't go away. There isn't and never was a rule against masks, just a requirement not to block your vision.

I really don't see anything wrong with an adult wanting to dress up in the parks. It shouldn't just be for kids.

That being said, I don't approve of adults dressing exactly like a character and acting like them for autographs/photos/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter