Adult using childrens menu.. do they give you a difficult time?

muffyn

"hmmm*
wanted to try a couple of the restaurants, but saw a few items on childrens menu we would rather eat then the $$$ stuff. has anyone been told they can't order from it? or been given difficult response for it?

Most Disney owned restaurants allow adults to order off the children's menu. It is reported that sometimes they give you an adult sized portion at an adult price though. Many non Disney owned restaurants do not allow you to do this. It is clearly stated that the childrens menu is for ages 3 - 9, so they are within their rights to not allow this at all.
Good Luck

My DD ordered off the kids menu a couple of times last week...we had no issued. At San Angel Inn she ordered off the kids menu and a margarita, she is 22.

It is going to depend on the restaurant so it is best to ask before ordering. At most of the Disney owned restaurants you will have no problem. However, some have posted that at a third party restaurant it was not allowed and even then it will vary with the server, manager on duty, the phase of the moon. The PP said her adult daughter was able to order from the kids menu at San Angel, but just last week someone else posted that they were not allowed to do this at the same restaurant.

We typically only do CS locations so this is never an issue. When I'm ordering at the counter, they have no way of knowing who is in my party. We frequently get kids meals even though DD is almost 20 now. I wish it wouldn't be a problem at TS either. Stop the whole "adult" food and "kid" food nonsense. Just make a menu and let people order what they want.

One problem I've noticed recently is that as the menus get more and more complex and sophisticated, it is more likely that there will be adults who have limited choices and would prefer something off the kids menu. For example, I checked the breakfast menu for BOG and there is only one adult meal that I would eat, and I'm not really that picky of an eater. If we went there, most likely all 3 of us would order from the kids menu.

We were at T Rex and they table next to us ask if their 17 year old could order from the kids menu an they told them is was for 3-9.

I wonder about this partly at some of the signature restaurants. I'm happy to pay for an adult portion, that's not the issue since I'll be on the deluxe dining plan. I'm a picky eater/have a sensitive stomach is all. So I'll get a steak without any of the sauces for my entree from the adult menu but I wonder if they would give me a plain house salad or chicken noodle soup etc off the kids appetizer menu instead of the fancy apps I won't eat off the adult menu.

We were at T Rex and they table next to us ask if their 17 year old could order from the kids menu an they told them is was for 3-9.
At which point we would politely excuse ourselves and go elsewhere.

Actually, what would probably happen is I would ask to speak to the manager and have my family served what we want to eat from the available options, not what the restaurant says we're "allowed" to eat.

At which point we would politely excuse ourselves and go elsewhere.

Actually, what would probably happen is I would ask to speak to the manager and have my family served what we want to eat from the available options, not what the restaurant says we're "allowed" to eat.

A restaurant is a private enterprise and they can make "rules" for what they serve to who. You are welcome to leave if you don't agree. It is standard restaurant practice to offer "childrens" menus to a limited age group - both inside Disney and in the "real world". Their policy clearly states this menu is for children 3 - 9.
Sorry this doesn't work for you.

I wanted a pasta meal once..but if I got the adult portion I would of eaten it all..yes I am a pastaholic...but being a diabetic...I only can eat a small amount..so I asked and the manager said no problem...I got a childs meal and added a salad to go with it...ask ..it doesnt hurt to ask...and some places will say no..but some will have no issues...

Many restaurants put ages on their kids menu. Why do people get so upset about this when the restaurant follows this policy?

I've ordered off the kids menu at least 5 times and I haven't had an issue. I'm sure it varies from restaurant to restaurant, but I specifically remember a TS dining experience at 50's prime time cafe and they had no problem. I got the kid's fried chicken and they charged me only for a child's plate. I do it all the time at QS and I don't think you will have issues at QS at all but I'm sure buffets and some TS do not allow this policy. You can always ask!

Many restaurants put ages on their kids menu. Why do people get so upset about this when the restaurant follows this policy?
Years ago, when a kids menu started to be a common thing, it was usually just a smaller portion of items on the regular menu - 3 raviolis instead of 5, a smaller burger, 2 chicken fingers instead of 4. Now, however, it has shifted to the kids menu having entirely different options than the regular menu. Sometimes there just happens to be something on the kids menu that one of us would really like to eat. Clearly, the restaurant has it. Why not let us order it? Even if that means a larger portion and higher price.

On our last cruise, at the buffet, there was an area just for kids. They actually stopped adults from going to that section which just made no sense to us. The whole place is all you can eat. What difference does it make? The kids were free to go to the entire buffet. Plus, there were several items on the kids buffet that weren't on the rest of the buffet like French fries, pizza, chicken strips - normal everyday items that adults like too. Who decided that only kids were allowed to eat those foods?

So I totally agree that the restaurants have the right to enforce their own policies. I just don't think those policies make sense and they certainly don't represent good customer service.

I wanted a pasta meal once..but if I got the adult portion I would of eaten it all..yes I am a pastaholic...but being a diabetic...I only can eat a small amount..so I asked and the manager said no problem...I got a childs meal and added a salad to go with it...ask ..it doesnt hurt to ask...and some places will say no..but some will have no issues...

Sometimes restaurants will also offer a half portion or will pack half of It to go.

Sometimes restaurants will also offer a half portion or will pack half of It to go.
This is another reason people often want to order from the kids menu. The regular menu portions are usually insane and just way too much food. If we're at home, we don't mind taking leftovers with us but if we're on vacation, the excess would just go in the trash which is a waste of food and money.

This is another reason people often want to order from the kids menu. The regular menu portions are usually insane and just way too much food. If we're at home, we don't mind taking leftovers with us but if we're on vacation, the excess would just go in the trash which is a waste of food and money.

That's my situation. On solo trips, with no one to share with, adult portions are way too much food. I often find my self ordering from the child's menu at CS.. I haven't tried it at TS. Occassionally I order an appetizer at TS, but usually I'd prefer the adult offerings, just 1/2 size. That would be great if they offered half-portions.

There may only be a limited quantity of the items on the kids menu for any given day. So I can see how they would want to save those items for kids.

I am sure there is a cost factor as well.

I don't know all the reasons why a reastaurants puts a limit on it, but many do.

I think it is fine to ask for something from the kids menu, but I do not understanding getting so upset that you would leave if they say no.

I think having lighter options and smaller adult portions to eliminate waste is a good idea.

I think it is fine to ask for something from the kids menu, but I do not understanding getting so upset that you would leave if they say no.
The only time we would leave in that situation is if there was simply nothing else on the menu for that person to eat, but I can't imagine a restaurant manager allowing a family to walk out rather than serve one guest something from the kids menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter