Adult ordering off kids menu?

jesusluvsu2005

Mouseketeer
Can an adult order off the kids menu at TS restuarants if not on DDP? Just wondering. In the heat, sometimes my appetite is not that great. Would I be able to order off the kids menu? Thanks!
Amanda

Does it ever make any difference what restaurant you're at?

I've had success some places, not others.

When they say yes, my experience is that they will give me (for example) a grilled cheese, but they charge me more than the child price. I'm ok with that, by the way.

I kind of wonder if this is one of those things where someone with connections to WDW (very frequent visitor/known CM) might have more luck.

I usually have a lot of luck. I've been told no a few times, and I've asked to speak with a manager. I've never had trouble after talking with a manager. The reason I do is because I'm a vegetarian, and usually the only vegetarian item on the adult menu is salad (made with ice berg lettuce, which actually is really bad for your digestive tract).

I was wondering about this too. My 12 year old will be an "adult" on the DDP and I'm wondering if sometimes they'd allow him to have the kids' meal at TS and of course still count it as a TS adult meal. He is super picky.

Does it ever make any difference what restaurant you're at?
Yes. Some restaurants (esp in the World Showcase, La Hacienda and Marrakesh specifically) do not allow people over the age of 9 to order off the kids menu. We did not had many problems ordering off the kid's menus for my picky vegetarian teen DD, but we transitioned to more adult meals on our last trip. There just is not enough food in the kids meals for her any longer (and she's 5'3 and 105 lbs of muscle). Some places are happy to provide an adult portion of kids meals for those who are picky but hungrier.

I was wondering about this too. My 12 year old will be an "adult" on the DDP and I'm wondering if sometimes they'd allow him to have the kids' meal at TS and of course still count it as a TS adult meal. He is super picky.
When we were on the DDP we would pay OOP for my DD's meals when she ordered off the children's menu and then save her adult CS credit for another more expensive meal (like a buffet).

When we were on the DDP we would pay OOP for my DD's meals when she ordered off the children's menu and then save her adult CS credit for another more expensive meal (like a buffet).

Yes, I am planning this too. We have 5 TS credits each and I've booked 6 TS meals and plan on paying OOP for some of the cheaper ones. I know DS11 will want chicken tenders or a burger and I can save his credit for DH who will want steak or seafood!

I am thinking about doing the same. Anyone done this at Mama Melrose? I am not a fan of Italian food, but DH really wants to eat here, and I was thinking either the smaller portion chicken parmesan or cheese pizza sounded perfect.

I would love to hear more about this. I have a digestive disorder that forces me to eat very small meals, so I would waste a lot of money ordering adult meals. DH and I have considered sharing adult meals, but I know we will have different wants with meal choices eventually. Any experiences or advice would be great!

When I look at the children's meals, they all seem very unappealing. A grilled American cheese sandwich, some fried chicken fingers, a rather dry looking cheese pizza. None of the foregoing is even remotely healthy for anyone -- kids or adults.

I guess some of the signature restaurants might have a small steak on the kids' menu, but it's bound to be poor quality and not even remotely appealing.

I would much prefer ordering one adult entree and sharing it. Dh and I do this all the time. A girlfriend and I do it, too, when we travel together. One entree is too much food for one, but just right for two.

I'm just not getting the appeal of ordering off the kids' menu. The kids' meals look awful -- not to mention they come on Mickey head plates.

What am I missing?

Aside from buffets and certain other restaurants, if you're fine with a slight upcharge then you shouldn't have a problem. If there's a medical issue or allergy at hand, then I would assume they would be even more accommodating.

We do it or my sister and I will also order one adult meal and share it. Sometimes there is way too much food for one person.

When I look at the children's meals, they all seem very unappealing. A grilled American cheese sandwich, some fried chicken fingers, a rather dry looking cheese pizza. None of the foregoing is even remotely healthy for anyone -- kids or adults.

I guess some of the signature restaurants might have a small steak on the kids' menu, but it's bound to be poor quality and not even remotely appealing.

I would much prefer ordering one adult entree and sharing it. Dh and I do this all the time. A girlfriend and I do it, too, when we travel together. One entree is too much food for one, but just right for two.

I'm just not getting the appeal of ordering off the kids' menu. The kids' meals look awful -- not to mention they come on Mickey head plates.

What am I missing?

^^This.

Disney kids meals are for the most part pretty foul. I feel bad for the poor kiddos that have to eat them, and I can't figure out for the life of me why anyone with a choice would intentionally order them .

Disney kids meals are for the most part pretty foul. I feel bad for the poor kiddos that have to eat them, and I can't figure out for the life of me why anyone with a choice would intentionally order them .

I tend to agree with this but my kids love them. It would be helpful if more Disney restaurants offered the choice between a "small" or "large" portions that I see at many of our local restaurants. I suppose that would make the dining plan an absolute nightmare though!

^^This.

Agreed. I feel bad for my kids when they have some crappy options and have started picking restaurants on a better kid's menu (ie grilled chicken and steamed veggie),

Hmmm my kid eats 'real' food. He's never even had a chicken nugget. Are the kids menus really that bad?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter