Adult Only Wedding Receptions

My daughter is just fine thanks. So am I. My parents paid, and they had some input, as it should be. There were things my mom simply wouldn't budge on as a matter of good manners. Inviting some family I didn't particularly care for at the time was one. Looking back, it was the right thing to do and certianly didn't ruin my wedding. It would have caused far more trouble to exclude them, and a lifetime of hurt feelings. I am glad I listened to her as the voice of someone older and wiser.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but I would just be careful about putting stipulations and rules on gifts you give her. It can really drive a wedge between you.

Saying "you can have this as long as you use it the way I want" can hurt relationships deeper then not being invited to an adults only event.

thanks for calling me a liar! Fabulous manners!

You I will just have to agree to disagree on how we see things. I won't stoop to calling you a liar.

Well it sure seems awfully convenient to your argument that of course she saw the error of her young selfish ways after she had her own kids, just like you knew she would. Yeah I admit I don't buy it, call it bad manners if you want, I'm perfectly okay with that. :)

I find this statement confusing, because I read it as being at the end of a paragraph that states there will be no compromise if your daughter doesn't want kids at her wedding....it will be your way, or she can pay for it herself. Sounds like an ultimatum to me.

No, I am saying that I have most likely failed completely as a parent if my child is so selfish that she wants to exclude close family members, and if she will not listen to reason and fiind and acceptable place to draw the line with regards to who gets invited. I fully aknowledge that we canot invite everyone we know nad some lines will have to be drawn, but I hope I have taught her better at that point than to do is based on age for selfish reasons.

Well it sure seems awfully convenient to your argument that of course she saw the error of her young selfish ways after she had her own kids, just like you knew she would. Yeah I admit I don't buy it, call it bad manners if you want, I'm perfectly okay with that. :)

Believe what you will, but calling someone a liar IS bad manners.

Believe what you will, but calling someone a liar IS bad manners.

What if they are a liar? I mean I don't believe your story, you may be telling the truth but I don't know you from Eve so I can't disprove or prove it. If you can't handle being called out on maybe a BS story online then don't tell them in order to make a case for something that nobody else seems to agree on. Like I said I thought it was a little too convenient that you were so right about that "selfish" bride.
You can think I have bad manners and I can think you are a liar.

No, I am saying that I have most likely failed completely as a parent if my child is so selfish that she wants to exclude close family members, and if she will not listen to reason and fiind and acceptable place to draw the line with regards to who gets invited. I fully aknowledge that we canot invite everyone we know nad some lines will have to be drawn, but I hope I have taught her better at that point than to do is based on age for selfish reasons.

:confused3 Isn't that exactly what not inviting children to your wedding is?
Who gets to decide where to draw the line in your eyes? Where I come from its the bride and groom, not the guests who think their children should be there.

It is very common for "18 and over" to be an "acceptable place to draw the line." Regardless of who's paying for the wedding.

:confused3 Isn't that exactly what not inviting children to your wedding is?
Who gets to decide where to draw the line in your eyes? Where I come from its the bride and groom, not the guests who think their children should be there.

I feel like this is a joke. Right? Tell me that adult only events are a common thing. Some of my best childhood memories are gathering with a bunch of other cousins to be babysat while the adults went to christmas parties, weddings, business trips, etc.

I, as the child, was never "hurt" and my parents were never "hurt" and as far as I know (I'm sure I'd hear after 6 years) no one was hurt from my decision not to have children at my wedding.

I think she must be pulling our chain.

Around here a wedding reception is typically an evening, formal event that lasts far past midnight. There is an open bar and lots of drinking, dancing, etc. Younger couples can be pretty uninhibited on the dance floor! The groom sometimes removes the garter from the bride's leg in a provocative manner. I can't imagine wanting my little kids watching that or being in a place so obviously inappropriate for children. A nice bridal luncheon...ok, kids might be appropriate. But after some receptions I have been to I would keep my kids as far away as possible! Plus, if my kids are there I have to leave early and take them home. Have none of you ever heard of date night? It is a lot of fun to have a night here or there without kids!!! My own sister and brother did not invite my kids to their receptions (thankfully! I would have had to tend to them the whole time while standing up in both weddings). My SIL did invite my one year old to hers. I had to arrange for my family to drive 45 minutes to pick him up early...what a pain. He was tired and hungry and it was not good. I love kids, but some receptions are not appropriate places for them IMHO.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but I would just be careful about putting stipulations and rules on gifts you give her. It can really drive a wedge between you.

Saying "you can have this as long as you use it the way I want" can hurt relationships deeper then not being invited to an adults only event.

Paying for a child's wedding, their education, or their first car is NOT a gift. I am not going to hand her tuition money and tell her to spend it however she wants, or allow her to drive a car without providing insurance for it. I wouldn't pay for a graduation party at a bar or club, and I won't pay for a wedding that excludes those closest to us. I WILL put stipulations on money I hand out, to teach her responsibilty and good stewardship of resources. Just like I will teach her manners and compassion. That is different than choosing to give a gift with no strings atached. I agree that it is not fair to put stipulations on those, but we give our kids things with conditions all the time. Rewards for good grades, payment for extra chores ect.

I feel like this is a joke. Right? Tell me that adult only events are a common thing. Some of my best childhood memories are gathering with a bunch of other cousins to be babysat while the adults went to christmas parties, weddings, business trips, etc.

I, as the child, was never "hurt" and my parents were never "hurt" and as far as I know (I'm sure I'd hear after 6 years) no one was hurt from my decision not to have children at my wedding.

I think she must be pulling our chain.

Be careful that is dangerously close to having bad manners :lmao:

My daughter is just fine thanks. So am I. My parents paid, and they had some input, as it should be. There were things my mom simply wouldn't budge on as a matter of good manners. Inviting some family I didn't particularly care for at the time was one. Looking back, it was the right thing to do and certianly didn't ruin my wedding. It would have caused far more trouble to exclude them, and a lifetime of hurt feelings. I am glad I listened to her as the voice of someone older and wiser.

Lol - my parents paid for my wedding, and I had to convince my mom we SHOULD invite kids (she was not thrilled). We had family members in the bridal party, from out of town, who were included, but when I asked my friends, who had children, if they wanted to bring them to the wedding, they thought I was NUTS!

I'm going to say 95% of weddings here are kid-free zones, so hopefully your dd doesn't meet a guy who is from a similar area.

It is up to the couple whether or not to invite kids, band or DJ, sit down or buffet. It's not like most weddings include children.

Pointing out that someone is close to having bad manners is SUCH bad manners. Were you raised in a barn? :rotfl2:

I must have been. I didn't even have any other children at my wedding besides my nieces and nephews in the wedding party. Clearly I was raised wrong :scared1:

This. So much this.

So often the complaints are about the childcare hassles that going to the wedding causes. Every invitation to an adult does not need to accommodate every life circumstance of that person.

Does the bride and groom have a close and personal relationship with your children? Are other children similarly situated being invited while yours are excluded? Is there no logical reason for that exclusion (in the wedding party, for example)? Unless the answer to all of these questions is "yes" I really don't understand even having the expectation that your children would be invited, let alone giving it a second thought if they weren't.

If your idea of a wedding is that it doubles as a family reunion/party for an entire community, then make your wedding that way. If you want a family reunion where the guest list is determined by having a genetic link, then host one yourself. But weddings, like marriages, are personal and should be defined by the people getting married. That people don't share the same "vision" for a wedding that you do isn't a personal attack -- an invitation shouldn't be read with an assumption of malice.

We've been invited to some weddings where our kids were invited and some where they were not. Yes, having children has required us to decline some (or have only one of us attend), but I've never given it a second thought. I've also had to decline invitations because of work schedules and finances. Childcare, like these other considerations, are part of my calculation, and I would never expect these issues to weigh in drawing up a guest list.
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And quite honestly, I see a lot of posts on these threads (I'd love to know how many threads there have been on the DIS about this topic over the years) from the "OMG, my children weren't invited to the wedding! :scared1: :furious:" people who I believe, based on their shock and dismay, purposely don't go to the wedding even if it could have worked out rather easily. Of course, there will/could be many responses to this from posters saying that they really couldn't go (childcare, travel, etc), but some posts reek of revenge with an attitude that sounds like "I'll show them! We just won't go!" and then, as evidenced in SOME posts, the hurt and anguish lingers forever.
This is pretty much the way our family operates.

I would say why are adults necessarily more worthy of being invited than kids? I think that the children in my immediate family are much more a part of my life than, say a co worker. Why should adults automatically take priority when deciding where to draw the line with invites? I see this argument all the time and I just don't get it. Adults are no inherently more important or valuable in my life than kids.
Seriously? NO ONE is saying that YOU, or anyone else, should invite your co-workers because they are adults over important children in your family. :confused3 That's some serous misunderstanding of this thread.
Personally I think its ridiculous for a child to be hurt because they weren't invited to an adult's only function. I would never teach my children that their wants are so important that everyone must cater to them to make sure they aren't "hurt". I think parents who hold grudges because their precious snowflakes weren't invited to something are far more selfish than any bride and groom that chooses to have an adult only affair. I think they are immature as well. If there is fallout over the bride and groom's choice then the people holding the grudges weren't really worth an invitation anyway.
:worship:

And $ isn't the only reason to limit an event to adults. If the wedding is late, you could quite easily end up with a bunch of cranky kids. And as adorable as some children can be on the dance floor, or running around tables :rolleyes2, I've seen some episodes lately of wedding shows where the kids dominated the celebration by taking over the dance floor and basically knocking into and getting in everyone's way, making guests want to get out of their way and just sit. But I guess they're just children being children and that's what makes a wedding FUN! :rolleyes1 :rolleyes:

I must have been. I didn't even have any other children at my wedding besides my nieces and nephews in the wedding party. Clearly I was raised wrong :scared1:

My nieces were the only children under the age of 17 at my reception. The WEDDING at the church - the most important part of the day - was open to all. Several people brought their kids there. They were happy to celebrate the really important part of the day with us. Then they went home and the adults had a great time at the reception.

I don't give a flip how anybody else chooses to celebrate as long as they don't require me to pay for my own drinks. Then it's game on :lmao:

Come sit next to me. I didn't have any children at my wedding.

My brother's first wedding, he had 65 kids at his wedding -- zero from our side of the family, all from his wife's side. They were married at one of the big historic hotels in DC and were charged $79 per child. My brother didn't really make an issue of it (bride's family was wealthy and picked up the entire tab) but privately he told us he thought it was a huge waste of money. I agree. But what are you going to do? The bride's parents were footing the bill and felt entitled to call the shots. Some people!

They were divorced three years later, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with the bride insisting on a 350-person six-figure wedding. Not even a little. :rotfl2:

My nieces were the only children under the age of 17 at my reception. The WEDDING at the church - the most important part of the day - was open to all. Several people brought their kids there. They were happy to celebrate the really important part of the day with us. Then they went home and the adults had a great time at the reception.

I don't give a flip how anybody else chooses to celebrate as long as they don't require me to pay for my own drinks. Then it's game on :lmao:

You make an excellent point, just because children aren't invited to the reception doesn't mean they can't be in the church for the ceremony. If its about them being there for important family event, isn't that the actual marriage ceremony, not the party that follows (with open bar of course!)
I even had strangers in the church during my wedding, if someone brought their kids it wouldn't be an issue at all.

HippieChickadee said:
I feel like this is a joke. Right? Tell me that adult only events are a common thing. Some of my best childhood memories are gathering with a bunch of other cousins to be babysat while the adults went to christmas parties, weddings, business trips, etc. I, as the child, was never "hurt" and my parents were never "hurt" and as far as I know (I'm sure I'd hear after 6 years) no one was hurt from my decision not to have children at my wedding. I think she must be pulling our chain.
Nope, not pulling anyone's chain. kids are important in our family and included

You make an excellent point, just because children aren't invited to the reception doesn't mean they can't be in the church for the ceremony. If its about them being there for important family event, isn't that the actual marriage ceremony, not the party that follows (with open bar of course!)
I even had strangers in the church during my wedding, if someone brought their kids it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Our Catholic weddings are open to the public - anyone is welcome! I had people come to our ceremony that weren't invited to the reception. It's posted in the church bulletin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter