Adult Only Trip - Skip AK???

You shouldn't feel guilty about skipping AK. You should spend your vacation doing the things your really want to do. If AK is a take or leave park skip it in favor of something your enthusiastic about!

AK is our favorite park and we are both adults. We go for the animals and the shows for the same reason we go to Seaworld. We don't ride any thrill rides, just the safari and the train to pet the animals..lol. We can spend hours looking at the animals and all the birds.

BUT if you don't care for it, don't go. My sister and her family like it least of all. We are all different!

Oh gosh.. I could never skip AK.. LIke some other folks have said, I'd sooner skip DHS than AK.

Have you taken the time to wander down the paths with all the animals.. Have you picked up the bird guides in the aviaries to see how many types of birds you can see? Have you read all the information for all the different animals? I mean, it's not the same as the Magic Kingdom, that's for certain, but if you're going to be there a while, and you DON'T have kids... I can't see NOT doing it!! I frequently travel with my family (mom, dad, brother) and we're all adults, but some of us have the attention span of children. My brother would ride EE until he got ill (and during passholder previews, we did!) and my mom just likes to go and do and be and talk... Dad and I can wander and read the signs and take pictures of the animals and experience it all.

But, you gotta do what you gotta do...

We've actually skipped it the past 3 trips. Only because we've had shorter trips or were there for events that took up much of our time. We will probably skip it this time around because it's a shorter trip. But we may go. I like AK very much, I've taken in all there is to see there. And there's no doubt I'll go back many more times. But when time is limited, we spend most of it at MK and Epcot.

There are, animals and stuff there, you know. ;). Sometimes you really have to look for them in all of the detailed habitat enhancement that Disney does. They hide behind baobab trees, and nap under air conditioned rocks, or slither in pong pong trees, indistinguishable from the limbs. The Sumatran tigers nap all day in the ruins of their Indonesian temple, while the huge fruit bats hang upside down in the courtyard, fanning themselves with capelike wings. In the Pangani Forest trail, try not to look the silverback in the eye -ever so tempting as he will come right up to the glass to examine his visitors, before turning his back in a display of male dominance. The hippo seems to disregard you the same way, but turns with a look that says, please swim with my friends and me in my lovely pool. The bird on my back will move aside. Indeed, he has flown away to discover the argumentative cacophony in the aviary as hundreds of African birds debate the merits of a fresh breakfast. When you have finished these trails, see how many species you have identified. How many more are hidden among the Tree of Life and the Oasis that you haven't even seen yet?

We skipped it last trip (adults only), and we didn't miss it at all! I feel like we go often enough that we can skip a park here and there! When I was a kid we had to see everything bc we only went once..... well just once! lol! I think things are different now, so I don't think you have to go to every park every time (unless you want to of course:thumbsup2)

Have a great trip!

I usually skip it on adults only trips. However, DH and I visited AK last Feb. by ourselves last year and its a fond memory now. We only stayed a few hours, but had a blast. We rode the Safari, bought adult beverages (that bar by the buffet restaurant - sorry, all the names are eluding me) which were extremely strong btw, and walked through the rest of the park with a huge buzz :rotfl:. I wouldn't plan an entire day there, but it is beautiful - I love the music, the scenery, and the atmosphere. This is why I like hoppers when its only two of us - we went there in the morning and hopped to Epcot for a late lunch.

Why feel guilty about skipping your least favorite park? If my DH and I were doing an adult-only trip, a half day at MK would do us both good, and I wouldn't feel guilty about not spending more time there. If you don't find enough to fill your day at AK, skip it.

Is it a matter of tickets? I don't skip any park, there are some parks that I like better than others but as a general rule I hit them all at least once.

My husband and I would never think to skip AK... it is one of our favorites. We lover to get 'Lost on Safari' (it is a yummy drink from the dawa bar) and enjoy all of the trails and shows.
I agree with everyone else though, it is what you enjoy :thumbsup2
If you have a free morning we think that is the best time to go.

I love AK, but the main reason is because I love animals, and the theming is awesome.
I plan on hitting all the parks this trip, I would skip DHS but fantasmic is a childhood memory for me :goodvibes

I personally think AK would be a good place to look into for an adult only trip.
I will say it is skip-able during the hottest times of the year, since it is a mostly outdoor park, and crowds are peaking at the hot times of the year, I imagine it would be pure misery.
But if you're going in september, or any calmer and cooler times of the year, it's wonderful!

I like AK as a mid-week break from the more frantic parks. For us its much more about a pleasant day strolling and looking and (compared to the other parks) less about waiting and riding.

I have family that always skips the animal trails in Africa and Asia because there is "nothing to do" in there, but in my opinion they are missing the best part of the park. It doesn't have to all be fast passes and mobile line wait time apps.

This year my daughter and I are doing the Wild Africa Trek and it is one of the things we are most looking forward to of the entire trip.

DAK is a favorite of mine as well. I would skip DHS

But then again we just started a DAK website so....

but to each his own

We don't have kids so every trip is adults only for us, still we never miss DAK no matter how short the trip is. My wife and I both love animals and the theming, but I also totally understand if that's not your thing. As much as I love RnR and Fantasmic, if was forced to skip a park it would have to be DHS.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Other opinions!!!....... We have a couple mornings open on my planning schedule which is what's making me think that maybe we should be hitting every park, if for no other reason then we are kid-free and park hopping will be easier for us as two solo adults! ......... Not to mention I feel in love with the Tusker House breakfast last time. Might be worth the trip for the Jamba Juice alone!!!

If you have the time.... I'd say go and enjoy the atmosphere!!
Seriously!!! If you have only ever been to AK with kids... It's totally worth it just to give it a try without them!
I LOVE AK.... when I'm alone!! :thumbsup2
And really don't care for it at all when the kids are in tow!

Last Feb when I went solo... I got to AK just after opening (after the first major wave of people) and just spent time walking through the Oasis.
Then headed over to the Royal Anandapur Tea Co. and got a cup of chai tea. I found a little area with small tables by the water and relaxed for about an hour. It was the best cup of tea and most relaxing time I've ever had!!!

Touring AK without kids is an entirely different experience. You may realize you and your mom really love it!

If you don't care too much for Animal Kingdom, I would skip it. If you have plenty of time although and think you may want to try it again, do it. On my upcoming vacation I think we are going to skip that park. I like it, but I don't feel like I have to go to it and my dad said he does not need to go again. It is probably my least favorite park and we are low on time. I'm OK with not going because I know I can visit when I think I am going again in 2016. Do DHS if you enjoy it more.​

I will say it is skip-able during the hottest times of the year, since it is a mostly outdoor park, and crowds are peaking at the hot times of the year.
The heat is one of the things that's making me lean away from the park. I'm not a huge fan of heat, but never find it a problem at the other parks. At AK I seem to sweat my hiney off!
If you have only ever been to AK with kids... It's totally worth it just to give it a try without them!
I agree with this statement, and I never thought of this fact. I have only been with kids in tow so I wonder how much I've missed not being able to slow down and really see it all...

I think AK was one of my favorite parks, hands down. So much to see and do. Plus, it seemed so much more manageable but everyone is different. Enjoy your trip!!

Due to time I skipped AK last year. However this year I will land on Monday Dec. 10 at 11:18 so I'm hoping to be at the park by 1 so that will give me plenty of time to do the three attractions I do there (Dinosaur, Expedition Everest and the Safari). For me this is the park that is last on my list of priorities (of both Disney and Universal parks).

I'm doing a last minute trip with my Mom in a few weeks and right now we're plannin on only hitting MK, HS and Epcot. Should we think about hitting up AK for a half day? We've seen all the shows and she's not a fan of EE, I could take or leave every ride in that park, none of them are must-do's for me. I do love the themeing, but I'm thinking we'd be better off at HS where we'd both be riding all the rides and enjoying all the shows. Does anyone else out there not feel guility about skipping AK????

If you're REALLY not into AK, then skip it. But I'm confused...she won't watch the shows at AK more than once...has she not seen any of the shows at DHS, or does she just like them more? And if she dislikes EE, will she handle ToT or RnR?

Honestly for an adults-only trip I think DHS would be the most skippable park. Disney Jr holds no relevance, someone who doesn't like thrill rides certainly won't enjoy two of the park's biggest attractions, and the indy/car stunt shows are mostly popular with young boys. :laughing: That seems to leave very little to hold appeal. AK is more elaborately themed, more exotic, has dedicated cast members, better food and drinks, some of the best shows in all of Disney, amazing walking trails, shops, music...pretty much everything I can think of that an adult would want in a park.

If you've never really given AK a thorough try, I heartily recommend trying it again. If you have the time to devote a day to it and go at a leisurely pace (which as two adults, you certainly do!) you might be surprised. Or then again, you might not. Everyone doesn't have to like ALL of WDW. :laughing:

BTW, since a lot of folks bemoan AK's 'lack of rides', there are seven total at AK. There are six rides at DHS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter