Adult only trip can we use kids AP's to get additional FP's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big difference here is that your family's butts are actually in the park.

Again, absolutely true, this is how the system is set up and I am not disputing that the ticket/AP must be scanned in order to be used to get fast passes........I will say, however, that in my personal opinion if this were not the case, and someone was willing to drop an extra $100+ on an unneeded ticket in order to get additional fast passes, more power to em. It's their money.

Again, absolutely true, this is how the system is set up and I am not disputing that the ticket/AP must be scanned in order to be used to get fast passes........I will say, however, that in my personal opinion if this were not the case, and someone was willing to drop an extra $100+ on an unneeded ticket in order to get additional fast passes, more power to em. It's their money.
I think that's fine too, I even suggested it earlier in the thread. The parks have a capacity limit, and if you want to pay extra for an extra ticket for yourself to obtain extra FP, go ahead. People also pay extra to rent out the park for themselves. However, using someone else's AP, who is not in the park that day to obtain extra FP for yourself is different. For the record, I also think that people who leave their bag on chairs in theaters to create a buffer seat should pay for the seat. if you require a seat to place your bag or a buffer you should pay extra because the theater also has a maximum capacity. The argument that you bought your son a pass good for unlimited movies, but he's at home today and didn't use his pass does not mean you are entitled to a second seat. The theater should be free to sell that seat on a first come, first serve basis. Disney parks work the same way. If the OP wants to get a second FP, he can pull another one with his AP once the window opens again for that ride.

I did not know that about being able to get as many fast passes as you want when staying on site. That's good to know, thanks! And yes, I have been to DL before, 9 times so far this year but this is the first without the kids. My wife was joking that all our timing will be off because we are used to factoring in the kids when we estimate how long it will take to get somewhere. We're going for my wife's birthday.
Many years ago you could get more fastpasses if you stayed onsite, one for each ride. I think they quickly learned that was no good and it didn't last long before they took it away!

You wanna know how to get an all day Fast Pass? Because there is a way...it's called a VIP Tour. I gladly pay $2500 for us to have a Fast Pass all day to almost every attraction. So if you're really gung-ho about rides, then pay for it and enjoy!

I can see both sides of this argument but it's parallel to the "saving places in line" argument when 7 people run up in front of you with Dole Whips after your party has been waiting and they've had one person saving their spot. Also the "saving seats at the parade for 5 other people" justification, why do others feel they can squeeze in to their party at the last minute when you have been waiting for a spot as well? It's subjective...some people think it's okay, some others don't. We all tour Disneyland our own ways and there is no moral answer.

Also as you state I would be taking more than I am "legitimately entitled to". That is also debatable, I purchased all 4 of the annual passes so I feel that I should be able to use them however I wish as long as it is within Disney policy
You are required to enter the park to be entitled to pull a FP, since your children have not entered the park they are not entitled. As PP have stated, you may have paid for them but they are not your passes, they are your kids passes.

by the same logic, anyone who gets a fastpass using their child's ticket/AP for a ride for which their child is not tall enough is scamming the system.
No, that family has 4 people in the park and are using 4 fatpasses. You have 2 people in the park and want to use 4 fastpasses. Attempt to paint it anyway you want but you are trying to scam the system.

I can see both sides of this argument but it's parallel to the "saving places in line" argument when 7 people run up in front of you with Dole Whips after your party has been waiting and they've had one person saving their spot.

Just had to pipe in and say....

OMG, this! This drives me crazy! If your whole family is in line and ONE person goes on a drink run, etc...I get it. That one person rejoining the line isn't likely to set me back very far, as you're all likely going to take the same amount of ride cars with or without that last person. This is especially understandable with families who have small kids and suddenly they have to pee and can't wait....fine, leave the line and come back. Nature calls and all that. But I agree...the 1 person in line and 7 want to join in later? I don't think so! That is so unfair to the people waiting...those 7 people have now pushed me back a ride vehicle (or maybe several vehicles). It's so inconsiderate. Don't be an ******* in the House of Mouse.

And now...you all can go back to arguing about FP's. LOL

No, that family has 4 people in the park and are using 4 fatpasses. You have 2 people in the park and want to use 4 fastpasses. Attempt to paint it anyway you want but you are trying to scam the system.

Only because of the way Disney has set it up. Realize that there really is no difference between using a ticket of someone who isn't in the park to get a fast pass, and using a ticket of someone who is too small/young to ride or who doesn't want to ride, and who is in the park, to get a fast pass. The net effect on total rides/fast passes is the same. OP's original scenario is no different, from a ride capacity standpoint, then if his children were in park and were too short to ride or didn't want to ride. The only difference is that Disney has determined (as is their right) that the ticket media be scanned before it is allowed to be used to get fastpasses. Effect on number of fast passes / ride loads is same in either scenario.

I think there may be a way to get around this if you are local. Come to the park with your kids, have everyone enter the park, turn around and take your kids home (or have someone else take them home), two adults go back into the park. Voila! Incredibly cruel to the kids of course, but it would work I think.

Only because of the way Disney has set it up. Realize that there really is no difference between using a ticket of someone who isn't in the park to get a fast pass, and using a ticket of someone who is too small/young to ride or who doesn't want to ride, and who is in the park, to get a fast pass. The net effect on total rides/fast passes is the same. OP's original scenario is no different, from a ride capacity standpoint, then if his children were in park and were too short to ride or didn't want to ride. The only difference is that Disney has determined (as is their right) that the ticket media be scanned before it is allowed to be used to get fastpasses. Effect on number of fast passes / ride loads is same in either scenario.

I think there may be a way to get around this if you are local. Come to the park with your kids, have everyone enter the park, turn around and take your kids home (or have someone else take them home), two adults go back into the park. Voila! Incredibly cruel to the kids of course, but it would work I think.

I think there's a big difference. The kids aren't in the park. Can you imagine if anyone could use anyone else's AP to get extra FP's? Of the 1 million plus AP holders, the majority of them are locals. It would be terrible - for the guests actually physically present in the parks. So yes, a big potential difference on FP availability than that of the far, far smaller amount of people using their short child's FP.

It's also not a matter of ride capacity. It's a matter of FP availability. People not in the parks are not actual guests (at that time) and should not be taking availability away from those that are. In the short child scenario, they are at least actual guests giving their FP to another guest. And they are restricted in aquiring another FP just like usual - so the child is not giving away their virtual place in line to Indy while immediately also securing a virtual spot for Splash. On the other hand, the extra ap holding double dipper would be securing a spot for both - reducing FP availabilty.

As for ways to get around it. Sure. There's always a way. But the cost, effort and/or logistics to do these reduces them from being doable for anything but a minisicule amount of people, thus not impacting the FP availability for the guests actually in the parks.

Realize that there really is no difference between using a ticket of someone who isn't in the park to get a fast pass, and using a ticket of someone who is too small/young to ride or who doesn't want to ride, and who is in the park, to get a fast pass.

I disagree. There is a massive difference between using a child's ticket to pull a ride that they can't ride, many parents will see this still as a way to benefit that child(if the line is long for Space then getting mom and dad through it quickly allows us to get onto dumbo faster for you.)and bringing another set of AP tickets for children who aren't, weren't and won't be at the parks to secure extra FPs for the two people in the park.
In the first case the family is using their 4 tickets for the 4 guests to get their family 4 fast passes, in the other 2 guests feel they are entitled to use 4 guests worth of fastpasses

I think there's a big difference. The kids aren't in the park. Can you imagine if anyone could use anyone else's AP to get extra FP's? Of the 1 million plus AP holders, the majority of them are locals. It would be terrible - for the guests actually physically present in the parks. So yes, a big potential difference on FP availability than that of the far, far smaller amount of people using their short child's FP.

It's also not a matter of ride capacity. It's a matter of FP availability. People not in the parks are not actual guests (at that time) and should not be taking availability away from those that are. In the short child scenario, they are at least actual guests giving their FP to another guest. And they are restricted in aquiring another FP just like usual - so the child is not giving away their virtual place in line to Indy while immediately also securing a virtual spot for Splash. On the other hand, the extra ap holding double dipper would be securing a spot for both - reducing FP availabilty.

Again availability is the same whether they get a FP using a ticket from someone who is not in the park or a ticket from a child who cannot/will not ride. Yes, the number of AP holders who are locals necessitate that Disney require that ticket media be scanned to use FP. But on an individual level, FP availability is the same whether one uses a ticket for someone who is not present versus a small child who cannot or will not ride. The same number of FP are taken, and there is no difference in the time one could acquire another FP in either case. Individually, the scenarios are indistinguishable in terms of end result. The only reason it becomes an issue is because of the large number of local APs.

Again availability is the same whether they get a FP using a ticket from someone who is not in the park or a ticket from a child who cannot/will not ride. Yes, the number of AP holders who are locals necessitate that Disney require that ticket media be scanned to use FP. But on an individual level, FP availability is the same whether one uses a ticket for someone who is not present versus a small child who cannot or will not ride. The same number of FP are taken, and there is no difference in the time one could acquire another FP in either case. Individually, the scenarios are indistinguishable in terms of end result. The only reason it becomes an issue is because of the large number of local APs.

You are confusing distribution with availabilty. If Disney issues 10 FP's and I take 2 (one for a non-guest), there are 8 left for actual in-the-park guests. If I only take 1 (as the only guest present) there are 9 left for guests.

**The short child scenario is irrelevant to the more impactful scenario of using non-attending AP passes to access extra FP's.

Last edited:
No, it's not. If there are 10,000 people in the park and 2,000 FPs available, that's not the same as 10,000 people, plus 1,000 of them have their kid's AP who isn't there that day and the same 2,000 FPs.

You wanna know how to get an all day Fast Pass? Because there is a way...it's called a VIP Tour. I gladly pay $2500 for us to have a Fast Pass all day to almost every attraction.
I always wondered how much that costs! $2,500?! :faint: How many people is that for? Just out of curiosity!

I always wondered how much that costs! $2,500?! :faint: How many people is that for? Just out of curiosity!
Maximum of 10. If you have 12 people, you would need 2 guides. It is a great way to tour. We've done it and one time the kids wanted to ride Screamin' 5 times in a row. Mission completed in less than 30 minutes.

What this discussion seems to have missed is that the OP was not asking how to SCAM the system. He asked what the system WAS, so that he could use it for his maximum benefit. Some of you seem to be attacking him for his honest question or arguing about whether a different situation is fair or scamming. If anyone does not want to use the system to maximum value, then they probably shouldn't even use fast passes, because that gives them an unfair advantage over those with out. (I'm not really suggesting this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter