Adult issues...how do you handle situations? Panic/PTSD,

shades

DIS Veteran
Can anybody tell me how you deal with situations to get you through a day at WDW? I'm recently retired military and I have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome - complete with severe anxiety, claustrophobia, & agoraphobia. My symptoms increase as days pass. I'm on all of the right meds - but, still have "issues" that become unbearable. I've learned which rides to skip because I can't stand being in the snake line going into the Great Movie Ride. I also cannot tolerate being stuck in some of the Fantasy Land rides when I find myself in the house part and feel like there is no way to get out. I will almost always get a full blown panic attack in these places and end up stumbling all over people in an effort to get out. My psych doc told me to book an appointment with her for the day before we leave so she can ensure I have what meds I need to hang in there during our trip.

I also would like to find out how the GAC is set up as far as - will I be in a line and when I explain my needs, are there a lot of people around me. Is it possible to take in a short note that describes my needs so I will not be embarrassed by having to vocalize them in a room full of people? We are "expert" fastpass users and that's typically the rides I will go on because I'm not stuck in the middle of a bunch of people that I can't break free from. If I can't get a fastpass - I have to pass on the ride and wait outside while my family rides. I am very familiar with all of the gift shops & lack of park benches for people to wait on;) I would like to try a GAC so I can wait in a quiet space and avoid the "stuck in the middle, can't get out, I've got to get out of here....panic attack.

Anybody have any advice?
Thanks!

If you haven't already, check the post about GACs in the FAQs thread.
Other people have taken notes to give to the CMs at Guest Services, so you would not be the first. Your concerns as you wrote them here are good (you don't have to say that you are on medications, just that you have severe claustrophobic/panic attacks - what makes it worse and what would help).
For some attractions, you might be able to use the Fastpass line or the CM can write out a sort of Fastpass - whether that helps or not depends on the ride. For example, in some attractions, like Voyage of the Little Mermaid at the Studio, there is a room that you go into to wait that can be claustrophobic. At Little Mermaid, the room is fairly small and they keep "adding" people. You may be able to handle it by keeping toward the front of the area (nearer to where people are coming in). Bug's Life is a similar setup, although the room is larger (but the low ceiling kind of gets somte people). The Dinosaur ride in AK has snaking lines that you don't avoid by using Fastpass.
How the GAC is handled at the attraction depends on each attraction and even the time - if it's busy, you will find less assistance. You will often be in a situation similar to the Fastpass. Your best bet might just be to ask at each attraction what the line is like (ie snaking, tight, etc). You can ask them to write "panic attacks/claustrophobia" on the GAC - the basic stamps that I am aware of get that specific.

I didn't see any indication of when you are going, but if it's during the non-peak times, lines typically are not busy and we often don't need to use a GAC.
Time of day makes a big difference too. Going early in the morning usually brings much smaller crowds -even for the Fantasyland rides. I can't get our youngest DD going early enough to the parks for opening, but even during Spring break (a very busy time) DH has gone to Fantasyland with other members of our party and gone on all the Fantasyland attractions with waits that are often as fast as you can walk thru the line. Many attractions that are busy in the day are quiet later (especially Spaceship Earth and all of AK). On our last Spring break trip, DH went on Kali River Rapids 3 times in a row just as fast as he could walk thru line after 3 pm. The rest of us went on the Safari and could have walked right on, but ended up taking a long time because we had to wait for a wheelchair car.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I have read the FAQ thread and did see where some have given written notes to the CM - but, still - wasn't sure....

Because we have 3 teenagers - and are limited to school holidays and "visitation" schedules (for 2 of the girls) - we will be leaving on the 23rd and will be there during Christmas/New Year's. We are always there during the busy times and I am riding fewer rides every time because of my "issues." Although, I have to admit - waiting at the exit of Mission Space is pretty entertaining - seeing how people react to the ride;o) It is also one of the few places in any of the parks with a good place to sit and wait. I seem to spend a lot of time sitting on curbs (like near the exit of Thunder Mountain).

Anyway, we always get to a park when they open first thing in the morning and leave around 1-2 pm and take a hotel break. We do not return to the park untill around 4-5 in the evening and sometimes, I don't even return. Meds help a lot - but, with the nonstop crowds during that time of year - sometimes I just find a place to sit on a bench and wait for my family while they ride rides.

Thanks again - I am 100% disabled by the VA - but, it's an "invisible" disability and difficult to talk about.

Hey Shades-

Have you talked to your doctor about this concern? Worrying about it is likely to only exacerbate the situation. Both my parents are VA doctors. I read your post while I was on the phone with mom. She said that your physician may be willing to give you medication specifically for the trip. Obviously, we don't have your medical history here, or your list of current medications. But, there might be something they can give you for a short term that helps you deal with the crowds. Panic and PTSD are growing in diagnoses and as a field of study. There's more and more information available every day it seems. VA physicians are very well versed on it and are trained to educated to help their patients overcome it as much as possible.

See if you can make an appointment.. with your VA or your private physician (if you have one) to discuss options. Sometimes, worrying about it pnly makes things worse. Let's be pro-active so that you can enjoy your vacation!

xoxo

If you have any specific rides you want info on, post them here and I'm sure someone will be able to give you more info.
For example, for the Great Movie Ride, once you get to the big preshow area room, you may be able to avoid the snaking lines. Because wheelchairs and ECVs don't fit thru them, there is a line bypass for wheelchair/ECV users to get to a space at the front of the preshow area. You still have people in front, in the snaking lines on the right and behind you, but it's limited numbers and the space on your left (where the screen is and where you will probably face during most of your wait) is empty. Your wait is usually about the same as if you stayed in the snaking lines.

Something else I thought of......
We were at Epcot for New Years Eve this year with another couple who had not been to WDW before. They didn't really like the crowds (you could hardly move without touching someone), so we went out of the park back to our resort (BWV) early in the evening (like by 6:30 or so). We planned to go back later, but never did because we found they had a DJ playing outside right in front of the big porch that overlooks the boardwalk. They had contests, lots of music, hats and noisemakers just like the parks had, but MUCH less people. We were too comfortable to get up from the porch and walk to where we could see the fireworks better, but the high ones were visible if you got close to the water.
So, you might want to check out what the different resorts have planned. I don't know what the MK area resorts have planned, but you would be able to see the MK fireworks from the beach of any of those. I can almost totally guarantee you will find it much more comfortable out of the parks.

I have never been in the military, but have suffered for most of my adult life with anxiety and panic attacks. I have to congratulate you for facing up to your fears and going to WDW with your family during a very crowded period. :earsboy:

I've never used a GAC because I only travel during the less crowded times and my symptoms are fairly well controlled now. If I was traveling with family during a busy time, I think I would consider the GAC. I can wait for "my turn" on a ride, I just can't cope with being squished close to other people for a long time or being somewhere I couldn't get out of.

Hang in there. If you have to "opt out" of some rides your family is on:
Find a place to sit and relax. ::MickeyMo
Enjoy the scenery, the music and the antics of other people. :flower:
Hold the cameras and take a picture of your family staggering off the wild rides. :rotfl2:

To the OP...thanks for posting this question. I too am ex-military and have anxiety disorder (not diagnosed during the Cold War as such) but I have some of the same problems.

Thanks to everyone for the answers as well...DM also suffers and we may try to get a GAC....when we go to any of the shows it can get difficult to explain why we really do need to sit at the end of the row...if one of us has an attack and has to leave...that means now....

Thank you to everyone because this is one type of disability that can't be seen and people just don't understand how debilitating it can be.

Good luck!

UnderTheMistletoe said:
Hey Shades-

Have you talked to your doctor about this concern? Worrying about it is likely to only exacerbate the situation. Both my parents are VA doctors. I read your post while I was on the phone with mom. She said that your physician may be willing to give you medication specifically for the trip. Obviously, we don't have your medical history here, or your list of current medications. But, there might be something they can give you for a short term that helps you deal with the crowds. Panic and PTSD are growing in diagnoses and as a field of study. There's more and more information available every day it seems. VA physicians are very well versed on it and are trained to educated to help their patients overcome it as much as possible.

See if you can make an appointment.. with your VA or your private physician (if you have one) to discuss options. Sometimes, worrying about it pnly makes things worse. Let's be pro-active so that you can enjoy your vacation!

xoxo

Thanks for posting;o) I do have an appointment with my psychiatrist scheduled for the day before we leave for WDW. She is aware of my upcoming trip and is the one who suggested this appointment. Yep - I have lots of VA docs I see on a regular basis. And, there is an entire PTSD clinic specifically for women at my local VA hospital and I was told at my last appt that the program is being expanded. I can see where a HUGE need for more psych care will continue to grow as long as we are in Iraq. I get an annual print out of my appointments frequently from one of the clinics - which, is a great help since I'm at the VA at least once a week to see somebody. And, if something doesn't happen within the past 5 minutes, I'm not going to remember it :confused3 unless it is written down. I have to organize my thoughts on paper. Expressing myself verbally is difficult - I get tongue tied and flustered when someone doesn't "get" what I'm saying - even though, it is more than likely my fault for not being clear. Which, is why I'd prefer to provide a note to a CM about my needs - rather than explain them in front of strangers.

Anyway - 20 something years ago - I would have never dreamed the toll my career path would take on my body and mind. But, I'd do it all over again if I could. I'm red, white, and blue - through & through :cheer2:

I know at Disneyland there are many attractions you go through fast pass with a GAC and I am a care giver for an adult with Mental issues and he can not handle even those lines. We explain to the cast member at the front of the attraction that it is impossible for him to be in a que but we are more then happy to come back/ or sit out the entire tme of the line and they are very very helpful. Sometimes they take us right in other times we wait how long the line is which is fine as long as he is accomidated. I hope you have a great trip!
Jen

shades said:
And if something doesn't happen within the past 5 minutes, I'm not going to remember it :confused3 unless it is written down. I have to organize my thoughts on paper. Expressing myself verbally is difficult - I get tongue tied and flustered when someone doesn't "get" what I'm saying - even though, it is more than likely my fault for not being clear.

Wow...something I never knew...bell has just gone off in my head....we are having SUCH a hard time between DM and myself with this! Now I think maybe this is part of the disease.

I would like to say you are lucky to have such good care...but I am sure you earned it!

spotdog said:
I have never been in the military, but have suffered for most of my adult life with anxiety and panic attacks. I have to congratulate you for facing up to your fears and going to WDW with your family during a very crowded period. :earsboy:

I've never used a GAC because I only travel during the less crowded times and my symptoms are fairly well controlled now. If I was traveling with family during a busy time, I think I would consider the GAC. I can wait for "my turn" on a ride, I just can't cope with being squished close to other people for a long time or being somewhere I couldn't get out of.

:rotfl2:

I'm just trying to give my family a "normal" life and that means I have to do what I have to do to get through that time. I absolutely LOVE being in the parks! I do ok with the crowds in the streets - until I get stuck in the parade pack - or, while at Disneyland and people are stopped in the street watching fantasmic. I have NO patience for that stuff and I get out of the parks before I get stuck. The lines that snake back and forth where people are always hanging over into "my space" and when we are jammed pack in the lines - and, those indoor jam packed lines are the worse for me! There is no air - only really loud music (about the same 5 notes playing over and over and over;o) - and PEOPLE. When I can't see any way OUT and I'm penned in is when I panic. I try all kinds of things to hang in there - talking to the family, squeezing in the middle of them for a mental security check - and telling myself repeatedly that I'm ok - I'm not trapped....blah...blah...blah. By the time I get to the ride, I'm so frazzled that I'm physically ill. But, I have military discipline engrained so deep that I can resist scratching when I have a bad itch, I can resist moving when I feel restless, training such as this - helps me behave normal during bad times - usually.

I absolutely can wait my turn for a ride. I don't want to jump ahead of anybody. If the wait lines were wider - with an exit at the end of each row - life would be good! But, such as it is - and, I know I keep referring to the Great Movie ride - that is where I had a melt down in the line, during the holidays last year. They were operating both lines, the ride was busy, and we were right in the center of the line maze. I was already feeling uneasing before we got to that point because I saw it was imminent. Well, wouldn't you know it - I lost it and I HAD to get out of there. It took some time to break free of people and once my family exited the ride, we went back to the hotel.

Oh baby....I am SO sorry...I totally understand. If you don't have anxiety it is hard to understand...I didn't understand DM until later on in life when I got diagnosed.

People all the time are talking about their children who have meltdowns...it is so hard to be an adult and have one of these episodes...part of your brain is telling you...this is all in your head...get over it (military time there)...the other part of you is a puddle of poo-poo....

My secret weapon....6"4'....200 lb brother....he makes space for me! Will try and send you his "get the heck away from me" auro via happy thoughts!

Meezers said:
Oh baby....I am SO sorry...I totally understand. If you don't have anxiety it is hard to understand...I didn't understand DM until later on in life when I got diagnosed.

People all the time are talking about their children who have meltdowns...it is so hard to be an adult and have one of these episodes...part of your brain is telling you...this is all in your head...get over it (military time there)...the other part of you is a puddle of poo-poo....

My secret weapon....6"4'....200 lb brother....he makes space for me! Will try and send you his "get the heck away from me" auro via happy thoughts!

:teeth: Thank you! I'll take all of the happy thoughts I can get :goodvibes

Hi, Shades! I just wanted to give you some hope. I have suffered with Panic Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder for YEARS. It peaked 6 years ago with a post partum depression after my third baby was born. At that time, I tried many different meds and therapy. None of the meds worked. They made me actually feel worse and more out of control of myself. I continued with the therapy for only about 6 months until I felt back in control.

It has been 6 years now since the worst for me, and I have been basically anxiety free for 5 years and I now know when the panic attacks are coming on and can stop them 99%of the time. It is funny you mentioned THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE, that was the one that I had a panic attack in line in May. I stuck with it and calmed myself in the movie show preview area. I have gone to WDW several times since May and been fine on that ride. Sometimes these attacks just come out of the blue! I had to ditch the Jungle Cruise once.....it was tricky in that rope maze, but I did it!! If you are in line and getting panicky, just leave and don't feel self conscious. People duck out of lines all the time. You will probably never see those folks again, anyway! ;)

I know the lighting has to do with bringing on my panic attacks. I am very sensitive to changes in lighting (flourescent in grocery stores, Costco, Kmart....) I usually can feel myself getting an adrenaline rush panic feeling coming on in those stores, but I can calm myself and stop the panic. I think in that waiting area in the GREAT MOVIE RIDE, the walls are dark and the lighting is funky.

Just know that it will get better and possibly pass all together. At WDW, make sure you don't push yourself. Rest, eat right, avoid caffeine.

Take care & have fun.

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Lives4Disney said:
Hi, Shades! I just wanted to give you some hope. I have suffered with Panic Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder for YEARS. It peaked 6 years ago with a post partum depression after my third baby was born. At that time, I tried many different meds and therapy. None of the meds worked. They made me actually feel worse and more out of control of myself. I continued with the therapy for only about 6 months until I felt back in control.

It has been 6 years now since the worst for me, and I have been basically anxiety free for 5 years and I now know when the panic attacks are coming on and can stop them 99%of the time. It is funny you mentioned THE GREAT MOVIE RIDE, that was the one that I had a panic attack in line in May. I stuck with it and calmed myself in the movie show preview area. I have gone to WDW several times since May and been fine on that ride. Sometimes these attacks just come out of the blue! I had to ditch the Jungle Cruise once.....it was tricky in that rope maze, but I did it!! If you are in line and getting panicky, just leave and don't feel self conscious. People duck out of lines all the time. You will probably never see those folks again, anyway! ;)

I know the lighting has to do with bringing on my panic attacks. I am very sensitive to changes in lighting (flourescent in grocery stores, Costco, Kmart....) I usually can feel myself getting an adrenaline rush panic feeling coming on in those stores, but I can calm myself and stop the panic. I think in that waiting area in the GREAT MOVIE RIDE, the walls are dark and the lighting is funky.

Just know that it will get better and possibly pass all together. At WDW, make sure you don't push yourself. Rest, eat right, avoid caffeine.

Take care & have fun.

Lives4Disney :earsgirl:

Well, we are leaving on Friday and I have an appointment tomorrow morning with my psychiatrist to discuss meds.

Thanks to those who responded with advice! I'm really looking forward to seeing my stepdaughters - we are flying them to WDW the day after Christmas (one of the reasons we are going during such a busy time - to accomodate their schedule) - they are clueless about this trip. They think they are flying "here" (our home) and will not find out about Orlando until their mom checks them in for their flight at the airport.

Anyway - my anxiety level is beginning to escalate and I'm really glad I have an 830am appointment in the morning :earseek: I don't do well on those maintainence meds, either. Can't stand the brain "shocks/zaps." I also don't want to be a zombie with stronger meds - so, we will see what the doc comes up with.

We are celebrating Christmas at home tomorrow before our trip and I won't be online. So, I'll wish you all a "Happy Holidays" now :wizard:

Shades,

I don't have any particular advice for you, but I felt compelled to let you know how very much I appreciate you and all of the countless others who continue to suffer daily because you chose to sacrifice yourself to the service of our great country. I am forever in your debt, as well as my children and all generations to follow. My deepest thanks to you and your family.

Shan

SaratogaShan said:
Shades,

I don't have any particular advice for you, but I felt compelled to let you know how very much I appreciate you and all of the countless others who continue to suffer daily because you chose to sacrifice yourself to the service of our great country. I am forever in your debt, as well as my children and all generations to follow. My deepest thanks to you and your family.

Shan

Thanks, Shan :wave: I would do it all over again, if I could! I spent some time at the VA hospital this morning and that place is filled with war hereos - dating back as far as the World Wars. I just love listening to their stories :goodvibes

I didn't think I'd have time to jump online again today - with so much to do since we are leaving tomorrow....but, I've found the time for an update. I saw my doc this morning and she gave me a bunch of Lorazepam to take with me. Who knows, I might even be able to ride Mission Space again :earseek: NOT! I tell ya, they warn people who are claustrophobic a bozillian times not to ride that ride and I thought I was able to pull it off. I ended up next to the door in that ride and as soon as the front panel lowered and the door closed, I began looking for a "panic" button for them to let me out. Unfortunately, I was stuck for the duration and that was the longesttttt ride I've ever been on! Never again! I've decided it is more fun to sit by the exit and watch all of the "green" people get off the ride.

Anyway, I hope everybody has a wonderful holiday season and who knows, if any of you will be at WDW during the holidays - we may cross paths :earsgirl:

Shades, maybe you can use a device to help you stay organized? With text and voice-recording options, you may feel more prepared and confident for the events and occurences in your day. Patterns and routines are very important to all professionals. Golfers, for example, do the same jerky moves to address the ball thousands of times exactly the same way, otherwise they would never make the shot. I am practically obsessive with my lists and planning. But that's just me and protocol.

You don't really need a note from your doc or to go in a depth discription of your symptoms to get a GAC. However, it may be simplier to bring a note that says prolonged waiting in crowds or enclosed places can exasperate your disability symptoms and that you have an anxiety disorder. You don't have to explain to any CM after you get your GAC why you have the GAC and if any CM requires you to detail your conditions at a ride after you show the GAC, call for a supervisor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter