Adult Acne Sufferers...Antibiotics

lisaross

DIS Veteran
HI,

Well i feel like i'm a teenager again. After buying otc stuff i went to a dermatologist today - her prescribed Doryx 1x a day!

I've been to dermatologists when i was in my teens and 20's - was on antibiotics before with good results. I guess surfing the net is getting me nervous that after the meds the acne gets so much worse..

My acne is only bad on my jaw line - even cystic

any positive results from u if u were on antibiotics

I have rosacea with acne type bumps and have taken low dose antibiotics for it with good results. In December I was I'll and my dr prescribed a z pack. My skin was super clear for weeks!

Consider the birth control you're using *if you use one* my IUD was my culprit, it's gone! My acne is improving slowly.

i think i initially made my skin bad by trying the OCM of cleaning - i developed these little white in the skin bumps around my jaw line - then i started breaking out in cystic acne along the same area - and it just seemed to spread heal come back etc - a bad cycle that would not end!

I am hoping the medicine will get it under control and i will not try anything new - will stay with gentle cleaners. I am currently using "purity" - my dermatologist recommends Cerave but for now i don't want to try anything new and see how the antibiotics help!

I tried antibiotics along with prescription creams and none of it helped me. I think Doryx was one of the antibiotics I tried. The creams were just too harsh. I think my acne is hormonal and antibiotics aren't going to help any. I have tried birth control pills and they aren't helping either. I am going to try a different type of pill soon and hope that it helps.

I am 30 now and have struggled with bad acne since I was 13 years old. I've tried most everything out there OTC and several prescrip. I tried antibiotics as a teen and didn't notice much improvement. I was on extra strength ProActiv for years and it helped but I didn't care for all the chemicals. My acne gets worse when I am pregnant and last year when pregnant with my son I finally found a product I can actually recommend! It's a natural mask product called Lerosett. I was really skeptical when I first read about it but since it was chemical-free and reasonably priced I gave it a shot and have been using it ever since. As long as I use the mask once a day and the toner (which you can get free as your "second item") my face is totally clear 99% of the time, and that's saying a lot. Most "natural" products have never worked at all, but this stuff does. It's worth a shot!

I don't use an oral antibiotic but I do use a topical one. I use evoclin foam which is clindomycin.

It works wonders. I don't use it everyday though....I only use it on my face when it gets really bad. But I also have severe eczema so using it everyday would not be good for me.

I have the opposite effect while on BCPs than the PP did. I am on oral BCPs and they help my skin a lot.

I'm on the new " miricale cream" Aczone . That w/ different gel isn't doing much after 2 months so it's on to Accutane for me!
I started breaking out really bad last summer and tried everything!

I don't have the best reaction to antibiotics, so that doesn't work for me.

What does work for me:
bcp
Differin cream
Spironolactone

the past 6months i have been getting terrible cystic acne. I tried so many otc methods, then OCM. OCM made my skin dry out worse. So i stopped that. I also started using a new makeup and it seems the make up i was using was the culprit. i havent been using it for about a week and i havent had any terrible break outs yet.

Hope you figure out what works for you.

Just curious - what makeup were u using and what makeup are u using now?

the past 6months i have been getting terrible cystic acne. I tried so many otc methods, then OCM. OCM made my skin dry out worse. So i stopped that. I also started using a new makeup and it seems the make up i was using was the culprit. i havent been using it for about a week and i havent had any terrible break outs yet.

Hope you figure out what works for you.

Hi hun, :wave:

I just happened to see this thread topic on the front page and decided to hop over. It's funny because I was actually just writing about my acne problems last night in my Disney wedding trip report.

I have suffered from acne since I was 13. Heavy breakouts on my face, chest, and back. It was so embarrassing that I would not wear tank tops or bathing suits for years. Anyways, I had gone to the dermatologist many times being prescribed oral meds and topicals. I tried it all from Doxy to birth control, all which made me severley nauseous and didn't really help with my skin. I also tried home remedies, OTCs, infomercials, etc., etc.

3 months before my wedding I went to the dermatologist looking for some sort of solution, since I was going to be wearing a strapless dress and wanted to look and feel beautiful. They put me on Amoxicillin 875mg, twice a day (giant horse pills!) and two topicals, to nip it all in the bud. Slowly, yet surely, my acne has started to vanish and I haven't had any nausea or other side effects. I felt amazing and still do! :goodvibes Even switching my makeup to Bare Minerals helps with healing small minor breakouts I get during my monthly cycle.

I just want to let you know that there are solutions and it's a tough fight to battle, but you will conquer it! :hug:

Acutane, CURED my acne 9 years ago. I don't struggle with it at all anymore. Not even during my menstrual cycle or through either of my pregnancies. Before that I had been on antibiotics and prescription topicals. Nothing works, like acutane. There are some serious side effects to deal with, but after a 4 month stint, I swear I never dealt with it again.

I take minocycline twice a day for acne and Rosacea and then spirolactone (very low dose) for the cystic acne on my chin. The combo works great for me. If I do end up with a bad flare up I can double the does of the minocycline. Usually if I have a problem it is because I forgot one or the other of the meds.

I went on Doryx a couple of years ago when I first went to a dermatologist. It really helped to give my acne a kick in the butt to start my "recovery." I stayed on it for 4-6 months (can't remember) before my derm wanted me to try something else. It cleared my face up a lot from where it was, but it did make it red and dry for a while before getting better. Just get a good moisturizer and be prepared for it.

I went to prescription creams only after that but they didn't do much for me, so I started taking Doxycyline. It was better than creams only, but not perfect so I started taking Spironolactone as well. I've been using Doxycycline, Spironolactone, Differin, and Aczone for a couple of months now. My face is looking probably the best it ever has. I think it is mostly due to the combo of pills, and less because of the creams. But, I'm pretty happy now.

I am 25 and I have suffered from acne since I was 11 and I have tried EVERYTHING. I mean everything, from accutane to antibiotics to creams and pills, nothing seemed to work. My grandmother told me to start using a japanese scrub rag (a long exfoliating type rag) with Dial antibacterial soap as that's what she had always used and nothing else. I started using that my face started to clear up but I was still having issues with little bumps everywhere. Several months ago I noticed I was having digestive issues with dairy products so I stopped consuming them altogether and my face is absolutely amazing! It is so clear, not a bump in sight..I have never, and I mean never seen my face glowing and clear like it has been lately. I was curious if the dairy had anything to do with it and sure enough I find several websites talking about the connection between dairy and acne..very interesting!

Another spironolactone user here. This stuff is amazing. My skin has never been so beautiful.

Like PP poster mentioned what are you eating? Dark sodas and beef cause me to break out. As long as I stay away from them my skin stays pretty clear. But every once in a while when I gotta have a meat lovers pizza and a Dr. Pepper my face pays for it. LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter