• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ADRs? Yes We Made Stinking ADRs - A June '15 Dining Report - Updated 10/10: Sassagoula & Wrap-up

Wanted to get a quick snack update out before we head to the beach tomorrow. In case you didn't know today is the national holiday that officially marks the day of my birth, so what better way to celebrate than a long weekend at the beach ; )
Say whaaaat! :bday:

Well ok, disney would be a better way to celebrate but only 16 days left for that !!!!
Wait. You're going BACK to Disney in a couple of weeks? When are you ever HOME?! :eek:

So we'd just left off rolling our full bellies out the door at Tusker House. Since we were right there we decided it was a good time to head over to planet watch so Casey could dance with a couple of chipmunks,
Awww, too cute! How was the wait for them?

For those that haven't had it the rum dole whip is good, but they essentially just put a shot at the bottom of the cup so it isn't intermixed throughout the whip (as best as I could tell).
I experienced the same with the one I got at Epcot during F&G. I managed to stir mine up pretty well though to mix it all through-out! :thumbsup2

From there we took a quick ride on Kali River Rapids, and unfortunately their warnings of you will get soaked came true for our clan
Ha! Love it! I have a few pics somewhere my Great Kali Soaking of 2009.

It was a quick bus ride back to POFQ (complete with the lady next to me telling me how her daughter got her first period the day before on splash mountain #ThingsIDon'tNeedToKnow #HoneyI'mGood).
...What? Why? :confused3 I can't even...

I'd been wanting to try the brioche ice cream sandwich forever and finally the time was upon us.
I'm itching to try this too, hopefully in December! (I'll avoid the salted caramel, though!) :cutie:

:bday: Ok, a couple of days late though. Hope it was a good one.

The brioche ice cream sandwich!?!? This is the first I've ever heard of it. Aparrently I have not lived yet! It looks really interesting...will keep in mind the salted caramel ice cream though.

Can I just take a moment to say how completely jealous I am that you are going again in 2 weeks? I need to move closer to FL....seriously! :)

All caught up! I could go for any of those decadent ice creams right now. I purposely do not keep sweets in the house as when I am reading dining reviews I don't want to pig out from pure hunger jealousy!! 34 more days until we return to the world!!!

I'm here after catching up on all your reviews last night! That video of Casey is adorable. Love it.

I enjoy Boatwright's, too, especially when staying at Port Orleans. It's quiet and off the beaten path and I find that by the time I'm at WDW for a few days, places like Boaties are welcome additions to my dining plans.

I love that TH gets such great reviews. I'm typically not a buffet person, either, but it's nice to know that's an option that seems to please even those who don't love them.

Profiterole gelato was extremely good, so maybe the brioche would be better with that. Casey's looks yummy!

I love following your reports. I noticed we will be visiting The World at the same time, maybe we will run into you at the Dole whip stand! :)

n case you didn't know today is the national holiday that officially marks the day of my birth

Happy Belated Birthday!!!:bday: Hope you had an amazing day!

1263959f-e1ec-49f6-85d4-fa52cfc45735.jpg

Look at her, with her own Dole Whip! She's lucky, I have to share mine :mad: I'm sure you know this already but I hate sharing.

So Mommy and Daddy could indulge in one with a little bit of "mama juice" in it, aka rum for those that don't speak Casey.

:thumbsup2

Wonder if pouring the rum over the top would be at all better? Or if you're even allowed to request it like that:confused3

It was a quick bus ride back to POFQ (complete with the lady next to me telling me how her daughter got her first period the day before on splash mountain #ThingsIDon'tNeedToKnow #HoneyI'mGood)

OH HECK NO!!!:rotfl2::earseek:How does that conversation even get brought up?!

Upon arrival we headed to Casey's favorite ride, Figment, where she proceeded to hold her nose in anticipation of the big smelling scene

:rotfl:

While I liked the idea of a warm brioche and ice cream in the middle, something was very wrong with the french's idea of salted caramel. To me salted caramel is just that salt and some sweet ooey gooey buttery caramel. Unfortunately for the french salted caramel = burnt caramel so this just wasn't good. The brioche outer portion was fine, but inside tasted like some kind of burnt ice cream experiment gone wrong. I'd try one again, but definitely with a different flavor.

Aw man, i'm sorry you didn't like it. Yeah maybe try a different flavor next time? I went with my usual Chocolate so I knew if I didn't like the brioche part (which would have been hard as i'm a huge fan of everything Carbs), the ice cream would be salvageable.

First of all, Happy Belated Birthday! :bday:

Next, thanks for the heads up regarding the rum in the Dole Whip. I've never had one so it's good to know that the rum is not mixed. The shot at the bottom doesn't sound nearly as appealing to me.

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes. We had a great 4 days at the beach and now we're only 11 days away from our Disney trip!!!!

Ah, love the Dole Whip with Rum!

I had the same issue with the burnt caramel in France. I figured it was just the batch I had but now that you said the same I'm convinced it's just bad haha. Yuck! Sorry you had the same experience. At least Casey lucked out.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy your time at the beach! (Mine is Saturday- a whole quarter century.. Lol).
Good to know I'm not the only one with the burn caramel issue. Dumb me would have probably tried it again thinking it was an anomaly. Now I know to stay far, far away!

Happy belated birthday to you too!!!! Gotta love us Leo's.

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great time at the beach!

I really need to try to dole whip with rum, it sounds delicious!
Thank you. You definitely have to try the whip with run because they found a way to make it even better ; )

Happy birthday!

I can't wait to try the Dole Whip with a little rum ;)

Casey was smart- that vanilla is delicious! you can never go wrong with good ole vanilla :)
Thanks and happy almost birthday to you. And what better way to celebrate than Disney and rum!

Happy Birthday! Have a great time at the beach! I am glad I did not try the salted caramel in France, burnt caramel does not sound appetizing! Vanilla is not bad for clean up, my little ones insist on Cotton Candy ice cream in many places...clean up on that one is really showing a mother's love :crazy2:
Be very glad you stayed away from the caramel. I'm really shocked they are serving it. And I'm with ya on the cotton candy, Casey is a fan of cake batter or bubble gum these days. Luckily she has Jason for clean-up most of the time.

I have heard others say the salted caramel tasted burnt as well, but the dole whip, oh my so good. Rum or not I will take one please! It is nice to see the dole whip is on AK as well.
Yep, rum or not that dole whip is awesome. I'm looking forward to indulging at the Poly next month.

Eek! Sorry that was a bust. I'd have thought the same. Big disappointment, right there. Maybe plain old pistachio next time for a sure thing? At least you have a great excuse for a do-over :-)
Definite excuse for a do-over!!!!

That's why I don't do Kali. I love the theming. I get as far as the bridge (then watch the monkeys on monkey island). But no further. Wet undies for hours "on end". Literally o_O No thank you.
We did it last thing, so it wasn't too bad. We'd avoided it for years, but finally gave in knowing Casey would love it. Haven't decided if we're gonna brave it or not again next ti me.

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a nice weekend at the Beach.

I tried salted caramel ice cream, not at Disney, and it was too salty. But I could see it working for the brioche as long as they made it right.
Salty I can take but the burnt was just plain bad. Just gonna have to go back and work my way through other flavor combos ; 0

No ADR's is definitely something I want to try. I'm getting married at Disney in October so maybe my future husband and I's next trip will be no ADR's! I think it would be fun! I'm not sure if the wraps are that widespread still since I don't actually seek them out anymore but they used to be. Mine may have stayed in longer because I have thick curly hair, so that may have helped keep mine in longer. I used to love getting them though!
Can't wait to hear all about your wedding. I've been following your sister's last couple of planning trips and it sounds like it will be amazing. And what better way to celebrate getting married than a follow-up no-ADR vacation ; )

Happy (belated) Birthday!!!
Thank you!!!!!

Really enjoying your report!
Thanks so much

:bday:

Hope it was a great one!

We didn't get to try the brioche ice cream sandwich this trip. I would have had the salted caramel so I will be sure to make a different choice when I do finally get to try one (hopefully in March!)
Thank you. Birthday was wonderful, with lots of surf, sand, suds, and seafood!

Yeah, I've been wanting to try the brioche forever and the timing for dessert was just never right. At least when you go you've been warned that caramel is a no-go

Say whaaaat! :bday:
Thank ya!

Wait. You're going BACK to Disney in a couple of weeks? When are you ever HOME?! :eek:
Home? Disney is my home. I just park myself in VA on occasion until its time to go back home ; )

But we typically go twice a year in January or February and September. This trip you're reading about was a complete anomaly that likely won't be repeated for a while. Unless of course Jason would like to repay the surprise ; )

Awww, too cute! How was the wait for them?
There is typically almost no wait. I think 5 minutes max. We even happened upon them leading a bunch of kids to the Hokie Pokie (which randomly is our college's unofficial song) one time which Casey loved and was a ton of fun.

I experienced the same with the one I got at Epcot during F&G. I managed to stir mine up pretty well though to mix it all through-out! :thumbsup2
Unfortunately we didn't realize it until the end. We kept thinking the flavor was really subtle until we hit the rum mother load on the bottom.

...What? Why? :confused3 I can't even...
You and me both

I'm itching to try this too, hopefully in December! (I'll avoid the salted caramel, though!) :cutie:
Definitely try it. I bet your aunt and uncle would enjoy some fancy french ice cream.

:bday: Ok, a couple of days late though. Hope it was a good one.

The brioche ice cream sandwich!?!? This is the first I've ever heard of it. Aparrently I have not lived yet! It looks really interesting...will keep in mind the salted caramel ice cream though.

Can I just take a moment to say how completely jealous I am that you are going again in 2 weeks? I need to move closer to FL....seriously! :)
The birthday was great, thanks!

You gotta check out the sandwich. I've been drooling over it on the disneyfoodblog since it came out and despite the poor ice-cream choice was glad we did.

Yeah, the June trip was out of the norm for us but September is in our typical twice a year pattern. Though with Casey starting kindergarten next fall, I'm not sure too many more of those will be in our future.

All caught up! I could go for any of those decadent ice creams right now. I purposely do not keep sweets in the house as when I am reading dining reviews I don't want to pig out from pure hunger jealousy!! 34 more days until we return to the world!!!
You and me both on the sweets. I actually never had much of a sweet tooth until I got pregnant and unfortunately its yet to leave.

A month left for you, less than 2 weeks for me, should be good times!!!!!!!!!!

I'm here after catching up on all your reviews last night! That video of Casey is adorable. Love it.

I enjoy Boatwright's, too, especially when staying at Port Orleans. It's quiet and off the beaten path and I find that by the time I'm at WDW for a few days, places like Boaties are welcome additions to my dining plans.

I love that TH gets such great reviews. I'm typically not a buffet person, either, but it's nice to know that's an option that seems to please even those who don't love them.

Profiterole gelato was extremely good, so maybe the brioche would be better with that. Casey's looks yummy!
Glad to know I'm not the only one in the Boaties fan club. Its definitely off the beaten path, but that is part of the charm.

If you're ever up for a buffet/character meal definitely give Tusker a try. We went to a bunch when Casey was still under 3 and free just for the ease of eating with a toddler. Most weren't for us, but Tusker is the exception. And of course bloody marys ; )

Gonna have to try that profiterole. That sounds amazing!

I love following your reports. I noticed we will be visiting The World at the same time, maybe we will run into you at the Dole whip stand! :)
Thanks so much. Since you know what we look like, please say hello if you see us! Where are you all staying?

Happy Belated Birthday!!!:bday: Hope you had an amazing day!
Amazing day? Honey, I've been having an amazing month ; ) 6 more days left!

Look at her, with her own Dole Whip! She's lucky, I have to share mine :mad: I'm sure you know this already but I hate sharing.
You don't like to share? I never would have guessed. And were it not for the rum, we would of been sharing too ; )

Wonder if pouring the rum over the top would be at all better? Or if you're even allowed to request it like that:confused3
That would be a good idea to ask. I guess I expected it to be mixed in already so I was a bit surprised.

OH HECK NO!!!:rotfl2::earseek:How does that conversation even get brought up?!
I have no earthly idea. She struck up a conversation and found out we used to live in the same town so apparently that made us BFF's and was a license for over sharing.

Aw man, i'm sorry you didn't like it. Yeah maybe try a different flavor next time? I went with my usual Chocolate so I knew if I didn't like the brioche part (which would have been hard as i'm a huge fan of everything Carbs), the ice cream would be salvageable.
Yeah will play the ice cream safer next time to make sure I enjoy the carb loaded experience as much as possible.

Late Happy birthday! Hope it was wonderful!
Thanks so much!

First of all, Happy Belated Birthday! :bday:

Next, thanks for the heads up regarding the rum in the Dole Whip. I've never had one so it's good to know that the rum is not mixed. The shot at the bottom doesn't sound nearly as appealing to me.
Thanks for the b-day wishes. I can't believe I tried something at Disney before you ; ) If you try it I think I'd take @Elevationist recco and give it a good ole mixing first.

So after French Ice Cream Gate we headed for dinner with a decidedly more consistent ally, Via Napoli in good 'ole Italy. My Mom is Italian, Jason owned an Italian restaurant for a while, and I'm a pretty darn good Italian cook if I do say so myself. I say all this because I am picky to a fault about Italian food and rarely eat it out. So when I tell you that this was probably our 6th trip to Via Napoli, that should give you some indication of how good it is ; )

As we waited for our table, we decided to have our very own Italian photo shoot. We were trying to get some nice pictures with the big ball in the back, but with Casey fresh off of ice cream this was about as good as it was gonna get

It wasn't long of a wait before we were seated with a great view into the amazing pizza ovens

Watching these guys crank out pizza's so fast all night was quite the sight.

While we already knew what we were going to order to eat, drinks were a bit more of a dilemma. Jason ultimately decided upon the Contessa Beer.

If this looks large, it's because it is. Apparently my husband thought that he needed a wine bottle sized bottle of beer for the evening ; ) I thought maybe he was unaware it was so large, but he said he knew and was just in the mood to drink for 3. As for the beer, I'm not a massive connoisseur (I love a good Miller Lite if that tells ya anything) but this was nice and refreshing and reminded me of a German hefeweizen.

I wanted some red wine, but knowing that my pizza would pair better with the white variety I ended up going with a white wine flight.

Unfortunately Jason's beer apparently was hitting me instead because I didn't write down what kinds these were. My oh so copious notes say they were not great and the best was the one that started with an I. So I'm sure that is helpful ; )

Moving on to food I do recall, Jason ordered his absolute favorite Via Napoli pizza the Broccolini

This
is fresh diced tomatoes, broccoli rabe, fontina, and mozzarella and Jason always adds sausage to his. Clearly they don't skimp on the extra sausage. While this isn't anything I'd order, the broccoli rabe is delicious and adds a bit of bitterness and some great depth in flavor. The sausage is nice and spicy and pairs well with the other toppings.

For me (and Casey), ordering at Via Napoli is a bit of a Sophie's choice. As my two favorite foods in the world are artichokes and prosciutto and they offer two different pizzas that excel at bringing my favorite foods to life. Today I ultimately decided that I was in a bit of an artichoke mood, plus they are also Casey's favorite food, so we went with the Carciofi.

This is a white pizza with artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, truffle oil and I add arugula to it (one of my other fav foods) to give it some added texture and flavor. In a word this pizza is heaven. There was a lot of truffle oil on there so that came through on each and every bite and the artichokes are clearly fresh and not the usual suspects from a can. The arugula adds some nice crunch and pepper flavor and stands up to the truffle and artichoke flavor. The crust has the perfect chew to it and the char from the oven adds great flavor. As I said before, I was in pizza heaven. As for my 4 year old food critic, she declared it the best pizza in Ep-A-Cot!

Too full for dessert, as we left dinner it began to pour again and not wanting to get soaked walking to the front of the park we decided to catch a boat to MGM and head back to POFQ from there instead. On the way to MGM we were able to capture this little beauty over the boardwalk.

As we got back to POFQ we had a bit more of a sweet craving so I headed to the lobby to pick up a little bit of this at the store (Jason's mammoth beer was wearing off)

And some of these from the food court

We'd had this wine in the world before and while it isn't going to win any awards its a decent bottle of Italian wine for under $15. As for the beignet's they were hot and fresh and cooked to order. They were very good and hit the proverbial spot, but a little dense compared to some of the New Orleans originals.

Overall this was a great night at Ep-A-Cout. Via Napoli has some of the best - if not the best - pizza I've ever had and as long as they keep serving it we'll keep eating it. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $19.

Up next, more ice cream....

Happy Belated Birthday!! Via Napoli looks amazing as always, can't wait to try it! That beer looks right up my ally, although I don't know if I could handle that much in one sitting haha.

:bday:. I love that you're celebrating the whole month.

The one regret from my trip was not being able to get into Via Napoli and you've just confirmed that it is a valid regret! The pizzas look amazing although I don't know if I could ever be too full for dessert (that's a completely separate stomach :p)

I was craving Via Napoli earlier today and this post totally did not help :) Those pizzas look delicious, as always. The beignets look fantastic as well, one day I will have to make a trip to POFQ to try them.

So after French Ice Cream Gate we headed for dinner with a decidedly more consistent ally, Via Napoli in good 'ole Italy.

French Ice Cream Gate :rotfl:I feel like that's an appropriate title! Good to see you are following it up with the best pizza EVER.

As for the beer, I'm not a massive connoisseur (I love a good Miller Lite if that tells ya anything) but this was nice and refreshing and reminded me of a German hefeweizen.

I've never tried this!! Next time for sure.. although your white wine flight also looks great.

Today I ultimately decided that I was in a bit of an artichoke mood, plus they are also Casey's favorite food, so we went with the Carciofi.

:thumbsup2 Can never go wrong with the carciofi!! Now I am craving it.

What better way to polish off a great night than with some wine and beignets.. good idea!

Via Napoli always is amazing, now I want pizza for dinner that will in no doubt pale in comparison! Love the trying to get a good photo in front of "the biggest planet" which is what my 5 year old Parker calls Spaceship Earth, it is never an easy task! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter