ADRs - what would you change/cut?

caselaw3

DIS Veteran
Hi all - After all our planning - we still have ended up with some OOP meals - trying to figure out if everything we have planned is worth it - or if we should cut/change some things - and if not - did we make the right choices for our OOPs - would love your input - Thanks

Here Goes:

Day One - 'Ohana dinner (1 TS??)

Day Two - Chef Mickey (OOP)

Day Three - CRT (2 TS)

Day Four - HBD (2 TS)

Day 5 - Tusker House (1)

Day 6 - Plaza (OOP)

Day 7 - Teppan Edo - Candlelight Package (2 TS)

Day 8 - Crystal Palace - (OOP)

Thanks for your help!

Ohana is one TS. I have not been to that one, but heard it was great. My in-laws do that one every time.

We've gone to Crystal Palace, Tuskerhouse, and Chef Mickey's (and are going back to these places again this time. Love all of them.

CRT, we did last time. I was not impressed at all. My kids were young, but once we got inside, I don't think they even remembered we were in the castle. I don't think it was worth 2 TS credits, but a lot of people do think it is. We are going to try Akershus this time, which I heard was excellent as well and has princesses.

I don't know what HBD is. :)

Personally, I would not pay OOP for that many because they are not worth the cost, IMO. I would pay for maybe one. That is a lot of money for a breakfast or dinner, particularly because my kids hardly eat anything. If you can afford it though, it might be worth it to you.

Ohana is one TS. I have not been to that one, but heard it was great. My in-laws do that one every time.

We've gone to Crystal Palace, Tuskerhouse, and Chef Mickey's (and are going back to these places again this time. Love all of them.

CRT, we did last time. I was not impressed at all. My kids were young, but once we got inside, I don't think they even remembered we were in the castle. I don't think it was worth 2 TS credits, but a lot of people do think it is. We are going to try Akershus this time, which I heard was excellent as well and has princesses.

I don't know what HBD is. :)

Personally, I would not pay OOP for that many because they are not worth the cost, IMO. I would pay for maybe one. That is a lot of money for a breakfast or dinner, particularly because my kids hardly eat anything. If you can afford it though, it might be worth it to you.

Thanks!
CRT - is my daughters birthday present - it was the only thing she asked for and we are doing BBB just before that - (Grandparents Bday gift to her - of course they also mentioned paying for her bday lunch so that would be awesome - but not counting those chickens, lol)...

HBD - is Hollywood Brown Derby - this was my gift to me, lol

I am not sure if it is worth paying for that many out of pocket either - which is why I tried to choose the three cheapest to pay for - all the ressies are lunch or dinner with the exception of CP which is breakfast-

We did the BBB before CRT too. My daughter was 6. She did enjoy it. Have fun! :)

We saved a little $ at the BBB by bringing her princess dress rather than buying the package with the dress included. That worked out really well.

We did the BBB before CRT too. My daughter was 6. She did enjoy it. Have fun! :)

We saved a little $ at the BBB by bringing her princess dress rather than buying the package with the dress included. That worked out really well.

Do you know how much you saved? I keep trying to get her to pick a dress and accessories here but she can't make up her mind - I even am bringind some of the princess dresses she already has - she is being very stubborn, lol

I think it was close to $200.00 for the whole shabang and around $50.00 for just the hair and make-up part. They still make a big deal of the whole experience even if you just do the hair and make-up part.

We went right after Thanksgiving, so we took her to Halloween Express two days after Halloween and she picked out an Ariel costume for 75% off the original price. It was a really nicely made costume and I think we paid around $15 for it.

I just couldn't bring myself to spend that extra money on a costume for a 6-year old. Besides, I would have been worried all day about her spilling on it or ripping it. That alone was worth it. Plus, she got to wear it to the park in the morning and had it on all day, which was really fun for her too.

I think it was close to $200.00 for the whole shabang and around $50.00 for just the hair and make-up part. They still make a big deal of the whole experience even if you just do the hair and make-up part.

We went right after Thanksgiving, so we took her to Halloween Express two days after Halloween and she picked out an Ariel costume for 75% off the original price. It was a really nicely made costume and I think we paid around $15 for it.

I just couldn't bring myself to spend that extra money on a costume for a 6-year old. Besides, I would have been worried all day about her spilling on it or ripping it. That alone was worth it. Plus, she got to wear it to the park in the morning and had it on all day, which was really fun for her too.

That's a great idea - I am going to wait to see what I can get her at the halloween store after halloween - I might be able to get her a couple of dresses (if they have any left, lol) and then she will be able to choose!!!

I would cut HBD unless you are eating there for a special occasion or at someone's special request. JMO.

I second PP's advice about bringing BBB dress and accessories from home and just paying for the hair/makeup. They still make a big deal and you can still get the photo session done (they will put it on your PhotoPass/PhotoPass+).

I would cut HBD unless you are eating there for a special occasion or at someone's special request. JMO.

I second PP's advice about bringing BBB dress and accessories from home and just paying for the hair/makeup. They still make a big deal and you can still get the photo session done (they will put it on your PhotoPass/PhotoPass+).

lol - HBD was my special request :) but I suppose I don't really need to do that

lol - HBD was my special request :) but I suppose I don't really need to do that

Ah! In that case I'd probably cut 'Ohana and/or Plaza and/or Tusker House. If character meals are priority (which, for me, with young kids, they always are), then I would keep Tusker House and cut one or both of the others. 'Ohana is really great, though....

I would not give up Ohana. You don’t say (unless I missed it) if the character meals are breakfast, lunch or dinner. Breakfasts are cheaper for character meals.

I would say unless someone is specifically looking forward to each one or both, you don’t need both Tusker House and Chef Mickey’s if TS credits is an issue. We did both on a trip in 2012, but we had enough credits. I paid for 3 character meals OOP this year because I elected not to get the dining plan at all, but they were all distinct (Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Hollywood and Vine). If you have both Tusker House and Chef Mickey’s there is some overlap. Tusker House gets a lot of votes because of the atmosphere and Daisy being there. Chef Mickey’s gets a lot of votes because it’s the Fab 5. Both have a pre-meal photo for purchase. At Chef Mickey’s it is with a Statue. At Tusker House it is with Donald Duck. It is included at CRT. They are $30 each at Chef Mickey's and Tusker House unless you have photopass plus.

Characters at Chef Mickey’s
Donald
Mickey
Minnie
Goofy
Pluto

Characters at Tusker House
Mickey
Goofy
Daisy
Donald (outside and does not sign autographs)

And I agree bring clothes and accessories from home for BBB. It is a huge difference in price if you do. Could be enough to pay for a meal depending on the size of your party.

I would not give up Ohana. You don’t say (unless I missed it) if the character meals are breakfast, lunch or dinner. Breakfasts are cheaper for character meals.

I would say unless someone is specifically looking forward to each one or both, you don’t need both Tusker House and Chef Mickey’s if TS credits is an issue. We did both on a trip in 2012, but we had enough credits. I paid for 3 character meals OOP this year because I elected not to get the dining plan at all, but they were all distinct (Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Hollywood and Vine). If you have both Tusker House and Chef Mickey’s there is some overlap. Tusker House gets a lot of votes because of the atmosphere and Daisy being there. Chef Mickey’s gets a lot of votes because it’s the Fab 5. Both have a pre-meal photo for purchase. At Chef Mickey’s it is with a Statue. At Tusker House it is with Donald Duck. It is included at CRT. They are $30 each at Chef Mickey's and Tusker House unless you have photopass plus.

Characters at Chef Mickey’s
Donald
Mickey
Minnie
Goofy
Pluto

Characters at Tusker House
Mickey
Goofy
Daisy
Donald (outside and does not sign autographs)

And I agree bring clothes and accessories from home for BBB. It is a huge difference in price if you do. Could be enough to pay for a meal depending on the size of your party.

Thanks!

O'hana, Chef Mickey, and The Plaza are dinners,
Tusker House, CRT, HBD, and Teppan Edo are all Lunch
Crystal Palace is breakfast

We do have PhotoPass

I don't think that the kids have any idea what they are in for - they have never been - so they won't know the difference - for me it is just about getting the best food (Lol) and husband doesn't care one way or the other

The ONLY absolute must dos are CRT because it is for my daughter's birthday and Crystal Palace is for my son's birthday - I picked HBD because I really really wanted to eat there but If there was a really good restaurant that was one credit with super great adult food - I would be happy to switch that ( i just don't know my way around anything, YET ;) )

I am going to hope that I can find some great deals on costumes right after halloween - that would be awesome! I am also going to go through the dress up outfits and see what we have - that we can bring with us - and then maybe I will just let her buy an accessory or something from the store

Hi all - After all our planning - we still have ended up with some OOP meals - trying to figure out if everything we have planned is worth it - or if we should cut/change some things - and if not - did we make the right choices for our OOPs - would love your input - Thanks

Here Goes:

Day One - 'Ohana dinner (1 TS??)

Day Two - Chef Mickey (OOP)

Day Three - CRT (2 TS)

Day Four - HBD (2 TS)

Day 5 - Tusker House (1)

Day 6 - Plaza (OOP)

Day 7 - Teppan Edo - Candlelight Package (2 TS)

Day 8 - Crystal Palace - (OOP)

Thanks for your help!

If I'm understanding correctly, you were planning on paying OOP for Chef Mickey's dinner but using a credit for Tusker House lunch? According to prices here on the DIS (from "The Rusty Scrupper) CM's dinner would cost more $ and therefore it would be better to switch and pay for Tusker House OOP.

However, I would probably cancel Tusker House (or Chef Mickey's) all together. Personally, I would cancel Tusker House. While it has the better food, I like the atmosphere much better at CM's and I think it would be more exciting for kids going to WDW for the 1st time. I know mine loved it. The characters found at both are very easy to find in the parks, so no worries about that.

Also, just to throw a wrench into things, if you do keep most of your ADR's you may be better off paying for one of the two credit meals. I feel like an adult dinner at Chef Mickey's + an adult lunch at Crystal Palace or Tusker House is more than an adult meal at CRT or HDDR. You'd have to run the #'s though. Also, remember that the price at CRT and HDDR both include tip (OOP or DDP) whereas you have to pay tip at the 1 credit places.

If I'm understanding correctly, you were planning on paying OOP for Chef Mickey's dinner but using a credit for Tusker House lunch? According to prices here on the DIS (from "The Rusty Scrupper) CM's dinner would cost more $ and therefore it would be better to switch and pay for Tusker House OOP.

However, I would probably cancel Tusker House (or Chef Mickey's) all together. Personally, I would cancel Tusker House. While it has the better food, I like the atmosphere much better at CM's and I think it would be more exciting for kids going to WDW for the 1st time. I know mine loved it. The characters found at both are very easy to find in the parks, so no worries about that.

Also, just to throw a wrench into things, if you do keep most of your ADR's you may be better off paying for one of the two credit meals. I feel like an adult dinner at Chef Mickey's + an adult lunch at Crystal Palace or Tusker House is more than an adult meal at CRT or HDDR. You'd have to run the #'s though. Also, remember that the price at CRT and HDDR both include tip (OOP or DDP) whereas you have to pay tip at the 1 credit places.

Thanks! That is awesome advice! I think i will have a sit down and try to figure it all out by what we would probably order - for some reason I have trouble wrapping my brain around the dining stuff! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter