ADRs needed with DDP in second week of December?

ransom

DIS Veteran
My wife and I are planning our first WDW vacation. It is planned for the second week of December, but we haven't done anything beyond the planning stage as of yet.

Is that a time of year we will definitely need to get ADRs for table service? And are we in trouble since it's only four months away?

If so, maybe we should skip the DDP.

Thank you,

-Joe

If you call soon, you should be able to get most ADRs at the time or close to the time you wanted. Some of the very popular places like Le Cellier may be all booked, but you can try. :goodvibes

We are going the second week in December too, and I made all my ADRs 180 out. A couple of days ago, we decided to change which parks we will do on what day, and that messed up my ADRs. So I had to change some things around, and everything I needed was still available. I didn't need any character meals, but was able to get an ADR for LeCellier for the night and time I needed. There are still some things I am not sure about, so I might be changing them again. You should call and try to schedule some ADRs, if you change your mind you can always call and change them, but at least this way you'll have something booked in case they are not taking walk-ups. We went same time last year, and almost every dinner we went to you needed an ADR. And I thought December was supposed to be slow time, doesn't feel that way anymore. :confused3

LoveMyBoys: Thank you for sharing your experience. I've talked to very few who have been to WDW in the 'value' time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it's nice to get the perspective of someone who knows what it's like.

It sounds like I shouldn't expect short lines at the parks either, huh?

I don't really think you have to make reservations right this second, personally, unless you want into something like LeCellier. We've been at that time and there were TS places available for day of reservations if you are willing to be flexible on times and locations. I think the rushing for reservations thing can be a little overrated on this board, personally, for certain periods of time.

Would I make a reservation? Probably, because dining is a large part of our trip and we want a table service dinner each night. I don't want to mess with calling dining or stopping by the restaurants or guest services once I'm there. I'd rather just know I have a place to dine. other people are content doing that once they are there. There is NO WAY that every table service will be full during that time - you will be able to find a spot - it may just not be your top choice.

Reservations are free to make (with a couple of exceptions) and there is no penalty even if you forget to cancel if you decide to make a few and go with the flow.

Have fun! I LOVE that time of year - low crowds, great weather, Xmas decor already up!

We went that time last year and didn't book until October. I was able to get all the ADR's I wanted for all the places and times I wanted including the CP at Epcot for a group of 9. If you call now you should have little difficulty, and may even get everything. If you cannot get everything call back every 3-5 days as more times may open up and/or people may cancel.

I just tried to change the time of our Chef Mickey's dinner reservation on 11/29, and was told that nothing was available at any time. We are a party of 5, however, which makes it a little harder to get reservations anyway.

It all depends on your party size and restraurants. I made my late October ressie about 2 months ago (so about 4 months before) and there were hardly anything left for the last week for a table for 6, esp. at LeCellier. While making my ressies for a table for 2, there was much more availability. With the DDP, whether free or not, I find getting into places to eat difficult if you wait until last minute. We were at the WL this past February/early. This is considered a slow time also and we could not get into WCC for dinner one evening. Since we were staying at the lodge, I asked for anytime and nothing was available. It was only the 2 of us. While dining early May this year, many places won't even put you on a wait list anymore.

We went in early December last year and had so much difficulty getting ADRs we're going in early November this year. I made my Nov ARDs a couple of weeks ago and found just about all of the early evening times taken. Not a problem for us, because we like to eat later, but it might be for you.

Get your ADR's now! In addition to the normal business, in a couple of weeks the CP packages will go on sale and your options will be severely reduced for the Epcot restaurants.

I would get ADRs just so you have something just in case. I think people say it is slow, but slow in Disney is still busy. Last year we were there for a little over two weeks and it was very busy. Waits for rides were over 45 mins. Long gone are the days after 911 when you waited 10 mins to ride. Every year seems busier and busier. It really is not bad having ADRs. I used to think I did not want to have to plan them but it works out great for us. Good luck.

One more vote for having your ADRs prior to your trip. We went the first week of December last year (usually go the 2nd week) and I can’t tell you how many people we saw being turned away at the host/hostess podium. We saw this every night of our trip. My husband, who had teased me about being so obsessed over planning, thanked me on the third night of our vacation and said he would never say another word to me about my DIS hobby.

I just called for a table for 4 at the Garden View Tea Room for 18 December. And they only had two times left available. That's not what I'd consider a very popular dining destination, and the 18th is a Monday. Again, not prime time. I ended up with 2:10, the only other option was 3:30. If I had wanted lunch instead of tea, I wouldn't have been happy with those options.

So if I were you, I'd call and get the ADRs now. You can always cancel them if things change.

We're going second week of December also, and I called for our ADR's last night. Le Cellier was, of course, completely booked up -- but even with places like 50's Prime Time and Liberty Tree Tavern, I had to go with different time slots than I originally wanted because a lot was already gone. Either the second week of December is going to be really crowded this year, or lots of folks are finally learning to call ahead for ADR's! :)

-gina-

I'll definitely get the ADRs as soon as possible, then. :)

To everyone who responded with advice: thank you!!

-Joe

OKWMom said:
One more vote for having your ADRs prior to your trip. We went the first week of December last year (usually go the 2nd week) and I can’t tell you how many people we saw being turned away at the host/hostess podium. We saw this every night of our trip. My husband, who had teased me about being so obsessed over planning, thanked me on the third night of our vacation and said he would never say another word to me about my DIS hobby.

:rotfl: I wonder if my husband will thank me, too, for my obsessive planning.

I made some changes to my December ADRs. The first time I made ADRs (180 days ahead) everything was open. There doesn't seem to be as many seating times available the second or third time around. I think the closer it gets to the date, the less availability there will be.

I called for our ADRs yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get an ADR for every restaurant we'd chosen, and in nearly every instance within 15 minutes of the time we chose. The only exception was Mama Melrose's, for which we could only get a fairly early dinner reservation.

Thanks again, to everyone who offered up advice to this WDW newbie!

I'm also going Dec. 8th - 16th and just made my ADR last week and had no problems. Le Cellier - lunch, San Angel - dinner, Sci - Fi dinner, and Tony's dinner. Got the exact times that I wanted too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter