ADRs and food intolerance

Figment&Piglet

“A dream can be a dream come true”
We've booked all our ADRs for our trip next week and DD11 was just diagnosed with a fructose intolerance. We're still figuring out what she can and can't eat ourselves, but have many TSs booked. Should we call and have it noted on the ressie? Should we ask to speak to the chef when we get to each restaurant? Also are counter service/snack cart nutritional info/labels readily available? Having never had anyone in our party with an allergy or intolerance before, we're not sure what to do or what the process is but want her to enjoy her meals without having no options available to her or, worse, a tummy issue because we didn't ask the right questions. I'm sure others are more experienced and can offer advice? Thanx!!

Giving them a heads up probably won't do too much because the chefs there aren't all expert nutritionists. Fructose intolerance is not one of the more common conditions so you are going to have to be a bit understanding with the food service CMs and explain to the chefs what your needs are (i.e. what exactly you can eat...most don't really care about the fine details of why you need your certain diet) and see if they can come up with something for you. The more you can help them, the more they can help you. At CS and snack carts, you will be on your own to ask for "the book" and read the labels and ingredients. I always just read directly from the package at the snack carts. Just tell them you need to read the ingredients for a food intolerance.

If you don't know what will work for your daughter, they certainly won't. Did your doctor give you information on the recommended diet? Do you have time to do some research online before you go? WDW is kinda hectic, so I would suggest making running lists of foods that do and don't cause problems that you can whip it out when trying to piece together a meal.

Are there meds for when things go sour? I would suggest taking enough for a worse case scenario that will last you until you get back to your room at the end of the day. Also keep a map handy to find bathroom locations. On the positive side, each bathroom is quite unique. You could always put a positive spin on a bad situation by taking photos of each unique bathroom that was visited due to tummy issues. (Can you tell that I've been there before?)

I'd also suggest taking safe food for the trip and then to the park each day so that you don't have to cancel meals or be tempted to eat something that will make her sick. They won't make a fuss if you bring in your own sandwich or whatever she likes to eat as long as you keep it low-key. It's also a good idea to keep snacks for the day, which can also be used to supplement a less than stellar meal.

And I might be stating the obvious, but since you are new to the world of off-limit foods and are in rush before your trip, just make sure not to eat her favorite foods in front of her if she has to stay away from them. Adjusting to a limited-foods diet can be a tough process and WDW is a less than ideal place to start. I've never been addicted to cigarettes of other drugs, but sometimes I crave a fresh apple (that I am now allergic to) just as much as it seems some people crave a cigarettes. Your DD might have just as rough a journey ahead of her as she is leaving behind, so just keep aware.

Hope this helps some....best wishes for your trip!

Giving them a heads up probably won't do too much because the chefs there aren't all expert nutritionists . . . explain to the chefs what your needs are . . . i.e. what exactly you can eat . . .

1) This CANNOT be understated.
2) It is up to the guest to say what they can eat.
3) Without such info, the chefs are just guessing.
4) And, they are not responsible for resulting problems due to unknown factors.

Thanks, all great advice. (I particularly like the idea of the photo diary of Bathrooms Around the World...that screams "coffee table book"! I think DD will get a kick out of that. :rotfl:

Seriously, though, it's good to know that they have a "book" at the carts or that they'll let you see the labels. That'll help.

In terms of TS, I wasn't expecting the chef to know, but simply wondering how to go about it. In other words, if between now and then I piece together the list of "do's" and "don't's", do I call ahead or just explain to our server when we get there or ask for the chef? Or hand them the list? There are things to avoid that I wouldn't initially have thought of (since it's fructose, I originally thought "fruit") but it's more than that--it's the high fructose corn syrup and other fruit- or vegetable-based sweeteners that can be in bread, breading on meats, in ice cream, etc. So I'm not sure if, say, a chef can know if the bread or bread crumbs has HFCS in it (I guess unless it's fresh baked), or if the meat was marinated or seasoned in molasses or honey, that type of thing. I don't want them to get annoyed answering 100 questions, but I need to know... Just curious what others do since we're new to this!

Oh, and good advice about not eating things in front of her...though I'm gonna miss the milkshake at the Plaza if that ice cream has HCFS in it! :(

You should bring safe treats for her for those moments where you just can't find something safe. They use Edy's ice cream plus have tofutti and rice dream available if you want to check ingredients on the internet. I have multiple allergies and I do best when I go in asking for something specific that is easy for them to make with what they have on hand. Like grilled beef, fish, chicken with fries, baked potato, salad greens type thing. Most of the pre-made pre-packaged stuff doesn't seem like it will work for her which makes counter service tough unless you go to places with kitchens and extra ingredients like Sun Shine seasons and the resort counter services. At counter services they do have books with labels but it takes time to read through and many things can't be altered to leave something off. You can check online of the ingredients of Allergy Free Foods Chicken tenders as these are available almost everywhere. Burgers and hot dogs with no buns are often OK for me but I know the gluten free allergy buns they carry do have fruit in them. There will always be something to eat but not always something great.

I don't think it will be easy/possible not eating things she is allergic to in front of her. It's something she is going to have to get used to and they generally will not want to make special allergy safe foods for others who don't need them. Maybe you will all agree to not have desserts or bring her safe treats for the times they don't have anything. Allergies are awful but it's necessary to get to a point of understanding that you just can't have what others are having. IT's not fair or fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter