ADR Question

fishersman

Earning My Ears
Back in August I made ADR's at Be Our Guest for our trip in late January. At the time, it was just made for 2, my wife and myself. Our grown son, who had been scheduled to leave by then, has since learned he will be able to join us. I called Disney yesterday and asked if we could increase the reservation from 2 to 3. They said no, the restaurant is full and to try calling back in case of a cancellation. I will try to do that, but was wondering what the chances of just showing up with the 1 extra person and having him able to join us will be? Will they just turn him away? Do they actually have just tables for two and won't be able to accommodate the extra person? We will be prepared for that, but was wondering if anyone else has done this.

Most Disney restaruants do have tables that seat just 2 people. If that is what is reserved for you, then adding a person would require a completely different type of table. Going from 3 to 4 would likely not be the same problem.

Since BOG has only been open a short time, there just isn't much feedback yet on how accommodating they can be with things like this. Since it is so fully booked though and in such high demand, I could easily see this being a problem.

All you can do is keep trying for another ADR, which I know is not an easy thing to find right now. Or just take your chances knowing one of you could be turned away at the door.

I agree with above, but even if you can not secure a new DR for the 3 of you, I would for sure give it a try to show up with your original DR and hope (and probably get) good Disney 'compassion'. Enjoy.

It's not just the table, it's the capacity set by the fire code. If the restaurant is at capacity, no amount of pixie dust will get you a third seat.

That said, I think you should keep trying for a revised ADR. If you can't get it, by all means, show up with your current reservation and ask. It can't hurt, and you may get in.

MHSweb79 said:
It's not just the table, it's the capacity set by the fire code. If the restaurant is at capacity, no amount of pixie dust will get you a third seat.

That said, I think you should keep trying for a revised ADR. If you can't get it, by all means, show up with your current reservation and ask. It can't hurt, and you may get in.

Typically if you look at the actual fire code capacity for rooms it is much higher than what you would imagine so its unlikely that would keep a guest out. Keep trying online op to get what you need and if not just show up.

Liz

Restaurants are standardly set up by 2's. 2-top, 4-top, 6-top, etc. It is very easy to go from 3 to 2, because it frees up another 2 top so they can seat another table.

But going from 2 to 3, now they have to put together 2 2-tops and lose a table.

Best bet is to keep checking the website for a cancellation. If you cannot get one, then you can ask at the podium, but it may be quite a wait.

This happened to me a few years ago, when I didn't realize that you had to count an infant because they needed room for the highchair. I had never traveled with an infant before. Thank goodness for the Disboards! ;)

He took us from 6 to 7. I was able to change all of our reservations but 2. Both restaurants told us we would not have room for the highchair, and did not have a bigger table, so we took turns holding him.

Going with the pp's.

Keep checking for an ADR for 3. By all means, show up with 3 and ask that day if you can't get one, but I would also go in with the assumption that you won't be allowed without a hefty wait to avoid disappointment.

Restaurants are standardly set up by 2's. 2-top, 4-top, 6-top, etc. It is very easy to go from 3 to 2, because it frees up another 2 top so they can seat another table.

But going from 2 to 3, now they have to put together 2 2-tops and lose a table.

This.

My husband and I frequently go out for dinner on Friday nights. We've walked past tons of people waiting for bigger table sizes just because we are only two. You can't just put a chair at the side of tables to accommodate three people (or seven or whatever). Think about how the servers will have to dodge that chair. Can it happen? It could but I wouldn't plan on it.

And you are looking at the newest Disney restaurant and it will be very popular for quite some time.

I could be wrong (and I'm sure it will be pointed out if I am!) but my understanding of ADRs is that there isn't a specific table reserved with your party's name on it. You're just assured that you'll be given the next available table that will fit your party's size. Even if you don't change the size of your party, you might still have to wait for a while if the right size table doesn't open up at the precise time of your reservation. So it can't hurt to just show up and tell them that your party has unexpectedly grown to three and ask politely if they can still manage to seat you. It's possible you might just have to wait a bit longer for a table that fits three to open up.

I could be wrong (and I'm sure it will be pointed out if I am!) but my understanding of ADRs is that there isn't a specific table reserved with your party's name on it. You're just assured that you'll be given the next available table that will fit your party's size. Even if you don't change the size of your party, you might still have to wait for a while if the right size table doesn't open up at the precise time of your reservation. So it can't hurt to just show up and tell them that your party has unexpectedly grown to three and ask politely if they can still manage to seat you. It's possible you might just have to wait a bit longer for a table that fits three to open up.
That is correct. It was that way when it was called Priority Seating (PS), then the Advanced Dining Reservation (ADR)(and not actually a reservation), and now the Dining Reservation (DR). All the same concept, just different nomenclature.

True, but they still have a list of people waiting. They're on the list for 2, to get 3 they could have a huge wait.

Walk up with the 3rd person and say you have another person.

Most likely you may have to wait but they will accommodate you. Be Our Guest is not a small restaurant. It is HUGE.

However, there is an outside chance you won't be allowed in with the third person. Have in mind what you intend to do if that happens.

Agree with PPs. January is a slow time of year which helps but if it's during free dining, restaurants get packed.

I agree that I would also try showing up with the third person. Although, in some instances they may consider you a walk up at that point since it's a different party size and they may turn you away or you may have a lengthy wait. Another concern I would have is the cancellation policy, especially if they won't seat you as three. I personally haven't been in this situation since the new credit card policy was implemented, so I can't speak to what they may do in that case.

Walk up with the 3rd person and say you have another person.

Most likely you may have to wait but they will accommodate you. Be Our Guest is not a small restaurant. It is HUGE.

However, there is an outside chance you won't be allowed in with the third person. Have in mind what you intend to do if that happens.

He will eat by himself. I'll tell him to go up to Main Street Bakery and we'll meet him there when we're done. LOL

Thanks for the advice. I will keep trying.

Another concern I would have is the cancellation policy, especially if they won't seat you as three. I personally haven't been in this situation since the new credit card policy was implemented, so I can't speak to what they may do in that case.

If you walk away from the reservation without honoring it, you will be charged as a no-show. For example, OP decides they are not going to go in and eat without their son, but they're going to try expanding their party at the podium anyway. If the podium person says they can't get in with the third person,and all three of them walk away, that is considered a no-show. If any of them honors the reservation, there is no charge.

I've been trying to make reservations for BOG in January anytime from the 7th to the 13th, with no luck :confused3 .. what are the chances of us being able to just walk up and put our name down and wait? Or are they literally booked up for every second of every day?

I've been trying to make reservations for BOG in January anytime from the 7th to the 13th, with no luck :confused3 .. what are the chances of us being able to just walk up and put our name down and wait? Or are they literally booked up for every second of every day?

They are pretty literally booked. I'd keep trying for a cancellation. There is no harm at all in walking up to see if you can get it, but I wouldn't plan on being seated, just in case.

You can do lunch as a QS without a reservation as a back up plan! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter