• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adopt a Family Meal Idea

Scambone

Mouseketeer
A friend and I decide to each adopt a family for Christmas. We are receiving the info on the kids this Friday but they rarely give us info on the adults since they're focused on making Christmas best for the kids. We thought maybe we could do a dinner in a basket for the parents but all I'm coming up with is pasta and sauce. Does anyone else have any ideas what to add to a pasta basket or have another meal idea? I'm not real sure when we give them the stuff just yet so I think anything cold (cheese/meat) is not an option. We're mainly interested in a single dinner in a basket rather a basket filled with random snack items. TIA!

I would lean towards a "fresh" basket - a veggie stir fry with rice (putting in fresh zucchini, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, onions in a decorative "fruit basket" way) or a veggied pad thai or a pasta primavera type dish or an Indian tikka masala veggie dish. Something where you are giving fresh foods (pricey in winter) with expensive condiments (be it tahini, soy, sesame seeds, tikka masala sauce, dried basil, red pepper flakes, etc) that they are unlikely to pick up themselves on limited funds (a box of pasta and sauce is likely to be on their daily diet, so you wanna stay a little farther away) - maybe make sure the dish incorporates a "canned" easy protein (like chickpeas for the Indian or great northern white beans for the pasta primavera or peanuts for the pad thai and stir fry). And I'd actually do 2 baskets - a dinner one like above and a fresh fruit/cheese one (so another easy shelf-stable protein can also make it to them) - and again, I'd load up on the pretty fruit side (clementines, bananas, apples, pears, mangoes, maybe a pineapple in the center - I'd skip grapes and berries for being too "squishable":)...

Oh, and I'd add, some cheeses are shelf-stable, so look for those for the basket (even if it's hitting Hickory Farms for them if you can't find any elsewhere:)...

If you are doing an Italian Dinner basket, in addition to sauce and pasta I'd add canned mushroom slices, parmesan cheese, breadsticks, sundried tomatoes, and some spices too (oregano, garlic powder?). Then maybe some dessert items, either biscotti cookies and instant cappuccino mix, or some other "make your own dessert" items.

** fresh/perishable items of course are prettier and healthier but usually it is hard to know where the baskets are being stored and for how long

Last edited:
I would lean towards a "fresh" basket - a veggie stir fry with rice (putting in fresh zucchini, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, onions in a decorative "fruit basket" way) or a veggied pad thai or a pasta primavera type dish or an Indian tikka masala veggie dish. Something where you are giving fresh foods (pricey in winter) with expensive condiments (be it tahini, soy, sesame seeds, tikka masala sauce, dried basil, red pepper flakes, etc) that they are unlikely to pick up themselves on limited funds (a box of pasta and sauce is likely to be on their daily diet, so you wanna stay a little farther away) - maybe make sure the dish incorporates a "canned" easy protein (like chickpeas for the Indian or great northern white beans for the pasta primavera or peanuts for the pad thai and stir fry). And I'd actually do 2 baskets - a dinner one like above and a fresh fruit/cheese one (so another easy shelf-stable protein can also make it to them) - and again, I'd load up on the pretty fruit side (clementines, bananas, apples, pears, mangoes, maybe a pineapple in the center - I'd skip grapes and berries for being too "squishable":)...

Oh, and I'd add, some cheeses are shelf-stable, so look for those for the basket (even if it's hitting Hickory Farms for them if you can't find any elsewhere:)...

Forgot to add...easiest protein for the basket they are unlikely to get - quinoa. Veggie stir fry over quinoa would be excellent (and if time to receive is uncertain, stick to the hardier, longer term good veggies for the basket - (carrots, onions, squashes, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagas, jicama, beets, etc last a LONG time at shelf temp:)...and don't forget the oil (a bottle of olive oil or sesame oil would be great and usable for more than this dish) and spices (even salt/pepper)...

Also, keep the dish simple to prepare and on a stovetop...food pantry I volunteered at always encouraged to keep it simple b/c you can't know the cooking skills or appliance availability of the families...

Last edited:

I really like that idea. You have a point that are probably able to fund pasta so the out of ordinary basket is excellent. How could I NOT think of a veggie basket? Complete genius! I was trying to think of something that could hold up until they can eat it and veggies can do that. I’ll need to find a good recipe that I can hunt down the food for and attach it with the basket so they don’t just look at it confused because I know I would!

I would stay away from too many spicy or different foods/condiments if the families have children. Most kids don't like that kind of food and the money would better be spent on fresh veggies and fruits that the kids will eat and probably don't get enough of. Many low income kids are getting poor nutrition while their bodies are growing. I don't know if you have this in your area, but my town has a meat market store and we can get gift cards from it.

They suggested to stay away from gift cards just incase they want to try to sell them...not everyone is like that but better safe than sorry is their opinion.

If you're adopt a family for Christmas why not do a Christmas style meal to give?

Cranberry sauce, Mac and cheese, veggies, mashed or sweet potatoes, gravy, etc, etc, I know the advice is not to give gift cards but I would add a small one to get a turkey or ham.

As another poster replied I would stay away from ethnic and spicy foods. Things that they haven't cooked or eaten before may sadly go to waste.

Even though a list for the parents aren't provided you could do generic items if you know the adult information (ie male, female head of household, etc). A robe, new bed pillows, a warm throw blanket, new pots and pans, etc.

Toiletries may also be an excellent idea to add. At the very least a new toothbrush, toothpaste, etc for the kids stocking.

There are a few recipes that require nothing fresh that you could include all the ingredients necessary plus a recipe card. I am thinking pioneer women's 7 can soup, 8 can taco soup, Italian bean soup, mac and cheese using Velveeta and evaporated milk. This would allow them to repeat these meals for the family. Also think about including ingredients for Christmas cookies, that way they can make the together. You could also gather the necessary kitchen items like a soup pot and lid, ladle and maybe some new bowls and spoons, kitchen towels etc. I think it's great that you are doing this and thinking more than toys. If you and your friend post what you are doing on social media, you can ask for donations, most people are very generous and you might even inspire others! Especially if you are asking for simple things like canned goods and cookie ingredients. Also try to include socks, undies and winter items for the kids, maybe some pajamas too. Good luck!!

Whatever you wind up doing, I'd encourage you to include a bag of mandarins (Cuties) - kids love them and they're a little more expensive than what many families can afford. Also, a bag of apples would last awhile.

I personally like the idea of the Christmas dinner basket. The preschool my children went to always asked for donations for Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner baskets to give away - things like Stovetop stuffing mix, cranberry sauce, canned sweet potatoes. I like to bake, so I might include bags of sugar, flour, brown sugar, powdered sugar, chocolate chips - things that are probably not high on their priority list. Tea bags and coffee might be another staple that would be nice to include.

Even though a list for the parents aren't provided you could do generic items if you know the adult information (ie male, female head of household, etc). A robe, new bed pillows, a warm throw blanket, new pots and pans, etc.

Toiletries may also be an excellent idea to add. At the very least a new toothbrush, toothpaste, etc for the kids stocking.

my mom sells avon so I planned on getting the adults some bathroom stuff. men are always hard to shop for.

I wouldn't go to "out there". I saw a PP suggested quinoa and I have to admit that if our mom had gotten quinoa in the Christmas basket we got one year (she was battling cancer and was forced to retire so our school sponsored our Christmas that year) sh would have had no clue how to cook quinoa nor would my brothers or I would have wanted to eat it so it would have sat unused.

The itallian basket sounds like a good idea. Spaghetti noodles and canned sauces are pretty shelf stable so you can get them more than one serving and not worry about it going bad. Now that I pay it forward we always gift things we would be okay eating ourselves and is easy to prepare. We usually include staples like big bags of rice and beans, some boxes of mac and cheese, a variety of canned vegetables and then some fresh fruit and pasta ingredients.

And if you don't like the stir fry idea, the fresh veggie basket could also work very easily as a veggie stew basket (again, making sure to add olive oil, a type of broth, either the needed spice jars or better, a preset stew mix spice packet or 3, and a canned bean for the protein:)...stir fries or stews should be kid-friendly and normal enough for anyone to eat:)...you could add an easy cornbread or dry biscuit mix (usable with the oil you are giving or just add-water type) or both to round the stew type of basket out...

And yes, gift cards are discouraged for the "too sellable" reason cited...so thinking how to make a complete meal without needing to buy anything else should be the goal:)...

And I can't stress enough - a jar of sauce and a box of pasta will be what they are likely eating all the time (this is a food pantry staple people give tons of and the food pantries normally overflow with it). You're better off giving a basket of peanut butter, almond butter, all-fruit preserves, and crackers/hard breads/apples/bananas b/c peanut butter (and other butters) do run really low at pantries and sometimes run out (so families miss out that month), and proteins are always the "hard to get and hard to give" item for food pantries.

Proteins, spices, oils, fresh foods...this is what most families never get when they get food help...

Last edited:
Having done baskets for families, I'd suggest going non-exotic, only because lots of families with kids have picky eaters.
I think complementing the meal with some fresh fruit like the clementines, apples, bananas, etc., would be great. Fresh fruit is a luxury and an afterthought for a lot of people on a strict budget.

I will say, if the pasta idea is the way you want to go (if it's too hard to include fresh veggies or produce, it's too hard to plan on what they like, etc), I would do it the way I suggested for the PB basket. I would put in practically anything but a jar of tomato sauce and a box of spaghetti. Instead, I would find things like a shelf-stable pesto sauce, a shelf-stable Alfredo sauce, a shelf-stable roasted red pepper sauce, a shelf-stable clam sauce (both white and/or red), an olive oil, a parm cheese, a romano cheese, dried Italian spices (basil, red pepper flake, parsley), a jar of diced garlic in water, a sea salt, a black pepper container, maybe a jar of roasted red peppers, etc and I would include many shapes and types of pasta (outside of spaghetti and macaroni - and I'd do the protein and non-protein types) and I'd include very simple recipes that use just the spices and shelf-stable stuff without one of the sauces (like pasta with olive oil and garlic, pasta with black pepper oil and parm, etc), so if they ever had just a box of pasta and a few things on hand, they could still feed their families...

I think you're awesome!!! :yay:

I'm not really sure what I can suggest as far as a meal goes because most low income families struggle with purchasing the more expensive grocery items like meat and you unfortunately can't include that in your basket. I agree with some of the others that pasta is probably a very regular part of their diet and wouldn't recommend assembling a basket with a pasta dish unless you make it a fancier style basket. They deserve to be spoiled sometimes, too with fancy ingredients and a printed recipe card. :) It might be appreciated also if you included some sort of dessert or special selection of candies/treats (whether pre-packaged or recipe cards with necessary ingredients) as those probably aren't a big priority for them when budgeting for their groceries. If it were me, I might consider a small grocery store gift card to allow them to buy enough meat for a recipe (maybe just $10 if that would cover it) even though gift cards are frowned upon for these situations.

Other small gift ideas for the adults might be a pair of winter gloves, warm quality socks (or pretty socks for a female), or a nice blanket (Costco always has great throws for low prices).

I would make a Christmas dinner basket. A box of instant mashed potatoes, a box of stove-top, a can of cranberries, a couple of cans of normal kid veggies like green beans and corn, a pre-cooked turkey (they are usually smoked) and then lots of stables like flour, sugar and oil.

While the stir fry and unusual pasta items sound great for some people, most people with limited funds would have no idea what to do with the items and they would just go unused. These aren't the kind of things that they would consider being spoiled. Things like steak, ice cream, chicken breasts would be things most people with limited funds would enjoy getting.

We adopt a family yearly too so I understand your struggle with wanting it to be perfect.

I like the idea of the holiday meal basket. A smoked ham (if it's in your budget) would be shelf stable and then stuffing, veggies, mashed potatoes, etc. The baking items are also another great idea.

I wouldn't go ethnic or crazy with the veggies. You don't know who you are buying for and what their tastes are - it's a waste if you get too far out of their comfort zone and they just don't use the items.

I would stay away from anything remotely exotic unless you know for sure the family would appreciate it. Something like a canned ham would be suitable. Other things you could add: nuts, holiday candies, cookies, hot cocoa mix, instant mashed potatoes, stovetop stuffing, canned yams, dinner rolls.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of like a Christmas type dinner! And Christmas treats. You think can frosting is okay or ingredients to make butter cream?

Maybe a breakfast basket? Get some kid cereals, oatmeals, breakfast bars, poptarts to help jumpstart the family mornings?

I found a really cute idea on pinterest where they put a pair of pjs in a box with a movie for the kids to do the night before Christmas, I thought that was a sweet idea! Maybe make a family basket with pjs rolled up for each kid, a movie, some popcorn and other treats for a movie night? We are going to have six kids total between the two families.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter