• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ADH vs a Ballroom at Gf or Contemporary

DisneyCP08

All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura
Hi fellow Disbrides

Df and i had to change our date and we our now in alittle bit of a pickle. We havent had a response back from our planner, so i figured i could ask brides on hear (while we are waiting).

Here is the problem: We are torn between two dates to change to bc of location problems. Our current locations are Wp n ADH. However Adh is not available on the date we chose, but is available the day after.

Here is my question.
I am a Diy bride and i would like to make my own centerpeices to keep cost down. ADH does not allow outside vendors forcertain things. Are you allowed to make yourown centerpeice or would I count as an outside vendor?

Second question: We plan on having a photo booth and know it would be big hit with our guest. If we stay at Adh we would have to get one thru disney. Has anyone else done this? If so, what is the price?

With these two questions answered, it will help us with our decision.

Here is our list we have so far:

Adh:pros
awesome location and experience
Great decor so needs less decor from us
lighting and dance floor already there
love the location (boardwalk)
cons:
Vendor restriction
cost of photo booth
wedding on tuesday?

Ballroom:
outside vendors allowed
wedding on monday

cons:
more decor, may spend more money

Oh and 1 more question. Has anyone had a tuesday wedding? We are fine with it, but my mom isn't too crazy about it.

Any answers, opinions or suggestions would be great. Thank you!!

From one ADH bride to a possible other - I would stick with ADH if at all possible. The GF is beautiful but a ballroom at Disney is like a ballroom anywhere else. ADH is something very unique. Our wedding was on a Monday - but I would have done one on a Tuesday also if it meant we could be there. Not sure about the whole bring your own centerpiece thing - our wedding was 3 years ago and things have changed.

The other thing I like about ADH is we can always go back there. We have been there at least 3 or 4 times since our wedding (we actually attended another Disbride wedding there a year after ours). I love going back there to celebrate.

Here are a few pictures from our wedding - not that I want to sway you or anything.

Our table - centerpiece was from Disney but I DIY the menu cards and they inserted them into the napkin folds, I also brought the little silver heart tins with our own M&M and they put them on the table. I also made the table numbers and they put them on the table for us also.
MistyBefore-Formal-Bonus479.jpg

Beautiful mirror in the ADH for some great pictures.
MistyBefore-Formal-Bonus443.jpg

Front of ADH and you can put your names on the marque.
2c3c97ed.jpg

Nice outside balcony.
5f51012b.jpg

Everyone on the dance floor with Mickey and Minnie - we had 50 people.
8ebca5fe.jpg

Great lighting effects that were included.
35bfa95d.jpg

Please keep us posted.

Linda

I am very curious about everyone else's opinions also! DF and I are torn between having our reception at ADH or at one of the ballrooms at the GF. I was really set on the Whitehall Room & Patio but with our current guest count, that is not a possibility anymore :sad2:

So, now we are considering ADH or another ballroom at the GF.
I am going for more of an elegant style for our big day, but I love the look of ADH.

Any opinions or advice you might have about either venue would be greatly appreciated! :goodvibes

Our wedding was during the day (we had a brunch) and we wanted a party feeling but you can make ADH up as elegant as you want it to be. I have seen other wonderful pictures on these boards. The main reason we loved it is it is not like any other ballroom. We come from the NY/NJ area and so many of the catering hall room look the same - once you are in a ballroom it looks like any other ballroom - although with the Whitehall Room and Patio that is not the case - great view of the castle from the patio.

Linda

We just got married at ADH on December 2nd and it was amazing! I would totally go with ADH. Too me going to a ballroom they all look the same, I could do that in CT but with ADH we basically rented out a night club. I went with an elegant Cinderella theme and started second guessing myself bc of the reception location. I can tell you it turned out amazing. ADH is so much fun and such a perfect location. No matter your theme it will work! All of our guests were amazed by the place. I am going to be getting some pictures up on my pj hopefully this wknd. We don't have too many of the decor inside yet because we haven't received all of our photos yet. When I do I will post! You can get some amazing photos in around ADH! If you are looking for a fun time this is the place!

As for decor in pretty positive you cannot make your own centerpieces. With that being said you don't need to do a whole lot in there anyway. You could do some kind of candle centerpieces. The price for these aren't bad depending what you choose and are simple. You are able
To bring your own table cards and place cards.

If you guys have any questions feel free to pm me as I just did all of this and learned a lot! Pictures soon :)

We just got married at ADH on December 2nd and it was amazing! I would totally go with ADH. Too me going to a ballroom they all look the same, I could do that in CT but with ADH we basically rented out a night club. I went with an elegant Cinderella theme and started second guessing myself bc of the reception location. I can tell you it turned out amazing. ADH is so much fun and such a perfect location. No matter your theme it will work! All of our guests were amazed by the place. I am going to be getting some pictures up on my pj hopefully this wknd. We don't have too many of the decor inside yet because we haven't received all of our photos yet. When I do I will post! You can get some amazing photos in around ADH! If you are looking for a fun time this is the place!

As for decor in pretty positive you cannot make your own centerpieces. With that being said you don't need to do a whole lot in there anyway. You could do some kind of candle centerpieces. The price for these aren't bad depending what you choose and are simple. You are able

If you guys have any questions feel free to pm me as I just did all of this and learned a lot! Pictures soon :)

I read your PJ and absolutely loved all of your ideas! After seeing everything you incorporated into your reception, I am pretty sure we will end up going with ADH. We have a site visit scheduled with Disney next week to see both venues in person. I am sure this will make the decision process a whole lot easier as well.

I can't wait to see the rest of the photos from your big day! Your wedding was absolutely gorgeous!

we got married on a tuesday morning - (1 year ago 13 days from now! eek!). had a brunch/lunch at the WHR (which fit what we were doing and was to die!)
IMG_1269.png

something to think about - minimums less during the week but i sometimes think i wished we had the wedding on monday, making fewer weekdays off for guests and giving us a day’s break between the wedding, dinner at victoria and alberts that night (we barely got unfull from the wedding!!), the MK shoot we did early early the next morning and leaving on our honeymoon cruise that wednesday. BUT in sitting here thinking about your questions, i think i remember some issues with doing a monday wedding, if you are thinking that was your other option. i *think* we were told that a rehearsal (maybe it was rehearsal in the space) but i want to say it had to be on a weekday for some reason, and i wanted that and needed it!

nothing wrong with a tuesday!

don’t have anything specific to say about your other questions, but surely you have the passporter guide already, right?! i know there is lots of specific details there and you can get it online!

i like a PP comment about being able to visit where you got married after the wedding - it’s made all of WDW even more special to us and certain places seem like “our spot” even in a crowd of thousands!

happy planning! :thumbsup2

From one ADH bride to a possible other - I would stick with ADH if at all possible. The GF is beautiful but a ballroom at Disney is like a ballroom anywhere else. ADH is something very unique. Our wedding was on a Monday - but I would have done one on a Tuesday also if it meant we could be there. Not sure about the whole bring your own centerpiece thing - our wedding was 3 years ago and things have changed.

The other thing I like about ADH is we can always go back there. We have been there at least 3 or 4 times since our wedding (we actually attended another Disbride wedding there a year after ours). I love going back there to celebrate.

Here are a few pictures from our wedding - not that I want to sway you or anything.

Our table - centerpiece was from Disney but I DIY the menu cards and they inserted them into the napkin folds, I also brought the little silver heart tins with our own M&M and they put them on the table. I also made the table numbers and they put them on the table for us also.
MistyBefore-Formal-Bonus479.jpg

Beautiful mirror in the ADH for some great pictures.
MistyBefore-Formal-Bonus443.jpg

Front of ADH and you can put your names on the marque.
2c3c97ed.jpg

Nice outside balcony.
5f51012b.jpg

Everyone on the dance floor with Mickey and Minnie - we had 50 people.
8ebca5fe.jpg

Great lighting effects that were included.
35bfa95d.jpg

Please keep us posted.

Linda[/QUOTE

Thank you!!!! Love the pics:love: i also never thought about the fact that we can always go back and visit. I also love that lighting effects is already included.

I am very curious about everyone else's opinions also! DF and I are torn between having our reception at ADH or at one of the ballrooms at the GF. I was really set on the Whitehall Room & Patio but with our current guest count, that is not a possibility anymore :sad2:

I am going for more of an elegant style for our big day, but I love the look of ADH.

Any opinions or advice you might have about either venue would be greatly appreciated! :goodvibes

Hi kt,Can't wait to see what you guys decided. When is your date?

Our wedding was during the day (we had a brunch) and we wanted a party feeling but you can make ADH up as elegant as you want it to be. I have seen other wonderful pictures on these boards. The main reason we loved it is it is not like any other ballroom. We come from the NY/NJ area and so many of the catering hall room look the same - once you are in a ballroom it looks like any other ballroom - although with the Whitehall Room and Patio that is not the case - great view of the castle from the patio.

Linda

I think that is one of the reasons for wanting ADH. I'm from Jersey and we have both been to alot of ballroom weddings. ADH would def. be different. I think we will probably stay there.

Hi, i actually recently read your pj. Cant wait to see pics! I think I feel the same way about ballrooms.

we got married on a tuesday morning - (1 year ago 13 days from now! eek!). had a brunch/lunch at the WHR (which fit what we were doing and was to die!)
IMG_1269.png

something to think about - minimums less during the week but i sometimes think i wished we had the wedding on monday, making fewer weekdays off for guests and giving us a day’s break between the wedding, dinner at victoria and alberts that night (we barely got unfull from the wedding!!), the MK shoot we did early early the next morning and leaving on our honeymoon cruise that wednesday. BUT in sitting here thinking about your questions, i think i remember some issues with doing a monday wedding, if you are thinking that was your other option. i *think* we were told that a rehearsal (maybe it was rehearsal in the space) but i want to say it had to be on a weekday for some reason, and i wanted that and needed it!

nothing wrong with a tuesday!

don’t have anything specific to say about your other questions, but surely you have the passporter guide already, right?! i know there is lots of specific details there and you can get it online!

i like a PP comment about being able to visit where you got married after the wedding - it’s made all of WDW even more special to us and certain places seem like “our spot” even in a crowd of thousands!

happy planning! :thumbsup2

I do have thepassporters guide! I forgot to check in there:scared1:I love theway you saidit, it would be our place even in a crowd of thousands:banana::cheer2:

just wondering out of curiosity if you really like the Boardwalk area, why you wouldn't consider a ballroom at the Boardwalk rather than the GF? I don't really see any major difference in the colors/decor between the BW ballrooms and GF ballrooms, from the pics I've seen the walls look like the same print and color, just the carpet that's different. BW also has a St James Hall & Patio space, just options! :goodvibes

tricia has a great point with this. The boardwalk ballrooms in my opinion are a better option because of the patio.

I love the ADH though. When I was set to have a wishes wedding we were going to use the ADH. That has changed since but I would definitely go with that. I do not see anything wrong with a tuesday wedding. Ultimately it is your day and if the date itself as in the number does not bother you then I say go with it.

Teresa

We had a very formal/elegant wedding in October and our reception was at ADH. I can't recommend it enough -- think anyone who had their reception there is very partial to it! The lighting is great and can set any mood/style. Plus the big staircase is wonderful for the introductions! Plus, now you can have a sit-down meal at ADH too -- which was amazing :)

Our wedding was on a Monday. We scheduled events for a long weekend, so by the time the wedding came around, no one cared what day it was!

I haven't gotten through all of our photos yet, but here are some examples:

cocktail hour upstairs:
ND143510-24-11.jpg

the basic set-up downstairs - a long head table and six rounds:
ND154710-24-11.jpg
ND154310-24-11.jpg

our table settings - I made the candle place cards, candle table numbers and menus (I'm not sure if you can make the centerpieces though):
ND140310-24-11.jpg
ND138110-24-11.jpg
ND138510-24-11.jpg
ND138810-24-11.jpg

our introduction:
ND147510-24-11.jpg

the cake table:
787891123409.jpg

We had another table with our engagement album, guest book and gift card box displayed, but I can't find a photo right now. They originally set the table up upstairs for the cocktail hour and then moved it downstairs while we were eating.

I think the space is great and you can really create any mood/style you want with it!

just wondering out of curiosity if you really like the Boardwalk area, why you wouldn't consider a ballroom at the Boardwalk rather than the GF? I don't really see any major difference in the colors/decor between the BW ballrooms and GF ballrooms, from the pics I've seen the walls look like the same print and color, just the carpet that's different. BW also has a St James Hall & Patio space, just options! :goodvibes

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. For the title I meant to put ADH vs a ballroom ( bc we were considering a ballroom at the Boardwalk, GF, or Contemporary). I think we have decided we will keep ADH and have a Tuesday wedding:) Gives us an excuse to have a long fun weekend with our guest:woohoo:

tricia has a great point with this. The boardwalk ballrooms in my opinion are a better option because of the patio.

I love the ADH though. When I was set to have a wishes wedding we were going to use the ADH. That has changed since but I would definitely go with that. I do not see anything wrong with a tuesday wedding. Ultimately it is your day and if the date itself as in the number does not bother you then I say go with it.

Teresa

Thanks Teresa! We had a site visit and fell in love with ADH as soon as we walked in. I guess we were just thinking of changing it to please my mom. But like you said it is our day and we love that location, so I think we are sticking with it:thumbsup2

We had a very formal/elegant wedding in October and our reception was at ADH. I can't recommend it enough -- think anyone who had their reception there is very partial to it! The lighting is great and can set any mood/style. Plus the big staircase is wonderful for the introductions! Plus, now you can have a sit-down meal at ADH too -- which was amazing :)

Our wedding was on a Monday. We scheduled events for a long weekend, so by the time the wedding came around, no one cared what day it was!

cocktail hour upstairs:
ND143510-24-11.jpg

ND154710-24-11.jpg
ND154310-24-11.jpg

our table settings - I made the candle place cards, candle table numbers and menus (I'm not sure if you can make the centerpieces though):
ND140310-24-11.jpg
ND138110-24-11.jpg
ND138510-24-11.jpg
ND138810-24-11.jpg

our introduction:
ND147510-24-11.jpg

the cake table:
787891123409.jpg

We had another table with our engagement album, guest book and gift card box displayed, but I can't find a photo right now. They originally set the table up upstairs for the cocktail hour and then moved it downstairs while we were eating.

I think the space is great and you can really create any mood/style you want with it!

Hi Nichole!
I just finish leaving a comment on your thread after reading all 27 pgs this morning:rotfl::rotfl2:I loved all the plans you made and realized that we have very similar taste. I also :love: the idea of partying all weekend with our guest. I think I was driving DF crazy this morning bc I was constantly showing him everything I liked on your thread (like pics), which turned out to be alot of times! I don't think he appreciated me waking him up so many times :scared1::laughing:.

I read your PJ and absolutely loved all of your ideas! After seeing everything you incorporated into your reception, I am pretty sure we will end up going with ADH. We have a site visit scheduled with Disney next week to see both venues in person. I am sure this will make the decision process a whole lot easier as well.

I can't wait to see the rest of the photos from your big day! Your wedding was absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you so much!!! It was truly amazing.

Here's the link to our slideshow our photographer put on his page! Not many of ADH it self we won't have those for a couple of weeks.
http://bdp.myshowit.com/ashley_jeffwedding

Here's a couple non professional photos
100_4530.jpg

100_4531.jpg

100_4539.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Hi kt,Can't wait to see what you guys decided. When is your date?

Hey!! :wave2: Our date is Monday, February 25th, 2013. As of right now, we are set on the WP for the ceremony, but we are still up in the air on the reception location. I am hoping once we see the venues in person at our site visit later on this week, the decision will be a whole lot easier to make. I am really pushing for ADH..Let's hope DF feels the same way! :rolleyes1

cocktail hour upstairs:
ND143510-24-11.jpg

ND154710-24-11.jpg
ND154310-24-11.jpg

ND140310-24-11.jpg
ND138110-24-11.jpg
ND138510-24-11.jpg
ND138810-24-11.jpg

our introduction:
ND147510-24-11.jpg

the cake table:
787891123409.jpg

I cannot thank you enough for posting these gorgeous photos!! :worship:
I was just telling DF the other day that I could not find any photos featuring candelabras at ADH. Your style is exactly what I am going for.

I feel much better now!

Can't wait to see more photos from your big day! popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter