Additional Trip Insurance for Separately Booked airfare?

small6no0

Earning My Ears
My DH booked a 7 night Med cruise as a surprise, booked DCL insurance (his first time, so he was unaware of limitations) and has already made the final payment. We are now working on airfare. Should we/can we go ahead and purchase separate coverage for the airfare? If so, who would you recommend?

It depends....

Insurance will only cover the non-refundable portion of your expenses. Most airlines will allow you to make a change in the ticket for a fee...like $50 per ticket. So, that's all the insurance would cover. If your air is completely non-refundable, it MIGHT be worth the coverage, but really, probably not.

It also might be more cost effective to book the air thru DCL than to pay for two separate insurance policies....or to drop the DCL insurance and buy a single policy that will cover all your needs.

Thanks for the feedback! :) We didn't book airfare through Disney because of potentially adding additional days to our trip before the cruise (which I guess I would also want to cover). I would cancel the DCL policy, but I don't believe you can after final payment.

We usually book our air through DCL and often go three+ days ahead and come back 2+ days afterwards, so you might want to check and see what options there are for extending your flight windows.

We are doing air on our own for the first time in conjunction with a cruise because it was significantly cheaper to do it that way even when adding in the cost of separate insurance. DCL's insurance covers the air portion when booked through them.

So what I'd do is explore the cost of air on our own plus insurance - there are several travel insurance options. We always start with www.InsureMyTrip.com to get an idea of the cost for the insurance. We don't always buy insurance for flights, but when we have a trip that it absolutely matters that we get there and on time, we do. Of course that's also why we book our flights to arrive at least a day or two early for a cruise that doesn't leave from Port Canaveral.

And what a wonderful surprise!

Just be aware that if the airline offers you insurance when you buy the ticket (I've had this come up several times lately), their insurance, generally, is just for things like lost luggage and Accidental Death and Dismemberment. It's usually not for things like medical coverage or reimbursement if you have to cancel your trip or help if you miss a flight connection.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter