adding on with a different use year

bulldogbaker

Earning My Ears
How big of a headache is it to have add on points with a different use year? We already have 160 points at SS with a June use year and we have found 50 points at SS with an August use year. So is a different use year add on hard to manage?
Thanks for the responses.

It will be a completely separate membership. You can not combine points from the two memberships for any one night of a stay without using your once per use year transfer for both accounts.

You could, however, book the trip as two separate stays and have DVC link them. You will also have two separate banking/borrowing windows for those memberships. If you don;t mind that bit of hassle, it can work out for you...but for simplicity, I really don't recommend it unless you have a reason for wanting two use years.

I agree with Chuck. We have two contracts at two different resorts with two UY's, but they are both almost exactly the same number of points each. So it's easy to manage banking one, borrowing for the other and alternating trips with each contract.

But for a small add-on like to an already-owned resort like the OP is talking about, I'd go for the same UY. Even if you have to pay a couple of dollars more per point, in the end you are not talking about much money to make your life easier.

Twice the work and twice the potential for problems. Pick your best UY and stick with it.

:earsboy: Bill

Agree with PP we have 2 UY's although manageable it is more work and I just had major issues when transferring points from 1 contract to another which I was planning on doing each year - my 2nd UY has 130 points so I think i will keep it separate in the future whenever possible. On the plus side when I do add on in a year or 2 I will have to UY to work with and really think I may add to 2nd UY so I can alternate contracts efficiently.

I agree with everyone in here so far. We have mostly August, but then did a small (25 points) September add-on at one of the three resorts that we own. It is a separate member number and requires transfer from that account to the other if not used. MS has allowed me to combine points for a single reservation, but quite honestly I do not recall if that required an official transfer or not. OK ... just checked on the member website before I posted this ... it looks like it WAS an official transfer.

Bottomline, yes, it's a bit of a hassle. If I knew now what I knew then, I would have waited to do that 25 point add-on, but it was a fully loaded add-on, and I thought then it made sense. Maybe it still did, it's just that it takes a bit of thought and attention to make sure you don't make a costly mistake and lose some points.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess we will wait for a June use year in the 50-75 point range to pop up. Hopefully we will not be waiting too long.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess we will wait for a June use year in the 50-75 point range to pop up. Hopefully we will not be waiting too long.

You can try to contact all the major brokers and tell them what you are looking for.
Small contracts are very hard to find and the brokers can advise you when they have a contract with the right UY before it is published on the website, giving you the opportunity to make an offer before everyone else.

Smart move for your situation.

We have a February use year because we always used to travel in February with the kids. Fast foward 10 years, and now we're talking about spending january and february in disney for our retirement. That's really tough though with a february use year. We'd be better off (now) with a use year in the fall, but we'd have to sell and repurchase.

Sometimes these things change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter