Adding on - I got a huge shock!! UPDATE

Cinderella

DIS Veteran
Well i wound up getting the 250 point add on :Pinkbounc I just finished reading the allan carr book recommended by toesmom yesterday and finished my last cigarette. So far i'm not doing too bad, but i could use some support and encouragement. Today, i just feel hungry and tired all the time? Is there anything i can do to stop those feelings? Would appreciate some recommendations. Thanks.

Original post

I'm planning a 200 point add on at SSR in December (if I like it) - or one of the other resorts, if i don't.

Rather than pay for all the points in a huge lump, I decided to put down 15%, take disney finance and pay over a year. I'm planning to stop smoking in January and cut down on my wine with dinner intake - I've had a stressful year, and my cigarette and wine intake has gone thru the roof. Well cigarettes are expensive in the UK - about $8.50 for a pack of 20 - so I figured i would work out how much quitting smoking and cutting down on wine would pay towards my add on. Thought this would give me a great incentive, but i have to say i was horrified - the cash I spend on wine and cigarettes would pay for the whole of my add on in about 15 months! I had no idea i was spending so much - as i earn quite good money.

This is definitely all the incentive i need. There i was wondering if the cost of 200 extra points was worth it - and i can have them for the price i have been paying to ruin my health. Plus, this way, I might actually live long enough to enjoy them.

Has anyone else given up bad habits to pay for DVC?

No stories of my own to tell but...
I just wanted to say Congratulations regarding your add on (but most of all for quitting smoking!) :cool1: It's a hard habit to break, and you picked a fantastic way to reward yourself!

CONGRATULATIONS! Both for the add-on and for the decision to better your health! :cheer2:

I smoked many years ago (as did dh) and I have not smoked in almost 14 years. When people look at me like I have two heads upon hearing I have a "timeshare" or what they could do with the amount of "dues" I pay - I never reveal the amount - I just tell them - it's my pack of cigarettes a day but it's better than smoking them. That is not counting the money we have also saved from dh quitting the same time that I did.

Enjoy your health - it's not easy to quit. It's definitely a great incentive. :goodvibes

Enjoy your points, and enjoy making a profit on renting them out in years when you don't use them all!

You've a great plan! I wish you great success, and enjoy those extra points! Pixie dust!

Bobbi :wizard:

Congratulations on your decision to stop smoking!! Wouldn't it be great if all DVCers did the same...at least while in the resorts! :cool1: :cheer2:

I relate to what you're saying. Although my eating has been good lately, I've overeaten for most of my life. What I regularly spent on food I shouldn't be having would go a long way toward paying for DVC.

Cinderella said:
I'm planning a 200 point add on at SSR in December (if I like it) - or one of the other resorts, if i don't.

Rather than pay for all the points in a huge lump, I decided to put down 15%, take disney finance and pay over a year. I'm planning to stop smoking in January and cut down on my wine with dinner intake - I've had a stressful year, and my cigarette and wine intake has gone thru the roof. Well cigarettes are expensive in the UK - about $8.50 for a pack of 20 - so I figured i would work out how much quitting smoking and cutting down on wine would pay towards my add on. Thought this would give me a great incentive, but i have to say i was horrified - the cash I spend on wine and cigarettes would pay for the whole of my add on in about 15 months! I had no idea i was spending so much - as i earn quite good money.

This is definitely all the incentive i need. There i was wondering if the cost of 200 extra points was worth it - and i can have them for the price i have been paying to ruin my health. Plus, this way, I might actually live long enough to enjoy them.

Has anyone else given up bad habits to pay for DVC?

By golly, I think she's got it!!

Congrats.

Thank you all for your kind words of support and encouragement. Whenever I am struggling, I will read this thread again, and it will help me stick to it.

Allen Carr is an english fellow who wrote an excellent book published by Penguin called "The only way to stop smoking permanently"... Excellent book, I read it and never smoked again and never wanted to smoke again either!!

Toesmom - thank you, I've just ordered two copies of this book from amazon (one for my partner too). I didn't even know it existed until you told me about it, but the reviews on there are amazing. I have been off work for days with the worst cold i had in years, and i am sure that smoking is making it worse. Who knows, if the book comes in time, I may even have quit before my trip to WDW next week - that would be great, and probably one of the easiest places in the whole world to stop smoking. Thank you.

congratulations on your decision to quit!

i smoked for a long time, when i got pregnant for the first time at age 35, i was forced to quit cold turkey. one of the hardest things ever. (dh also quit with me).

i have been smoke free for 4 yrs and love it. i would never have thought i would say that...as a smoker you think you can never drink without smoking, drive without smoking, etc. but you can. and you will!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter