• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Adding on from guide or resale

It probably doesn't matter what "most" do. "Most" tend to be wrong "most" of the time.

What matters is what's best for your family. You should save a BUNCH of money buying resale if:
  1. You can find a resale contract that meets your needs.
  2. you don't consider the options of DCL, etc of paramount importance.
Resale prices currently are running a minimum of 10% up to more than 50% less than buying direct...if you can find what you want, or a reasonable substitute.

So look at your options and do whatever works best for your family.

Prior to the recent changes limiting resales (no booking DCL, Adventures by Disney or non-DVC Disney resorts like Poly), we purchased and added on via resale. Unless some additional changes come through that sway my opinion, I would still continue to puchase via resale for the savings Jim mentioned.

JimMIA, said it best. Just remember to BUY WHERE YOU WHAT TO STAY.:goodvibes. I only say this because you have the 11 month window to your home resort. At 7 months if you want to try somewhere else, you can. Prices came down alot on resale lately,:eek: so look for what you what and need.:surfweb: If you are like the most of us, you will add on later. (A few times).:laughing:

We have done both - it really all depends on the numbers.

We bought direct for our first contract. It was absolutely zero pressure - our guide was fantastic - and we wanted a December use year. We are among the few that knew about resale going into buy direct. We bought direct, so we know our guide, and always get the help we need, when we need it from her. We have a direct contact who has met us, and knows us. Plus that was when they were offering a matching set of developer points at Saratoga to use your first year, free - with no maint. costs - until Kidani was finished.

For our 2nd purchase, we looked at both resale, and direct. At that time the economy was 100% in the tank. So the promotions were fantastic. A free 7 nights cruise, and $XX.00 off per point, and no closing costs, and something else - which I don't remember what it was now. But with all of that factored in, we got a better price buying direct.

Our 3rd contract was small 85 points - and we found something on the resale market - $40 under retail/direct at the time - and it was our Use Year, and the perfect size for what we wanted - (Bank Borrow Use) to have access to the tree house villas every 3 years if we wanted.

Out 4th contract was LARGE - and we got it for exactly 50% less than retail/direct. It was at Hilton Head Island - plus DVC didn't have a single contract with our Use Year - so we really didn't have an option to buy from DVC on that one.

So we are at 2/2 and I imagine that is where we will STAY for the duration LOL - we don't need any more points! Will we sell some of our points - no, I don't think so - especially with the change in resale policy.

I'm also hoping Disney implements a tiered benefits program for members that own a larger amount of points. But - I know that is very widely liked/disliked - so let's wait and see!

Our original purchase in '06 was directly from DVC. Cold called the DVC 800 number and purchased that night, not even knowing there were other alternatives.

Our first add-on a few years later was a resale from the Timeshare Store. I checked online for quite a few months until the perfect contract we were looking for appeared. That went without a hitch, and we were able to get points at a sold out resort for a very reasonable price.

The add-on we just completed (after the announcement of the new resale restrictions) was directly from Disney. I guess I fell right into their scheming little web. While the new restrictions that have already been put in place wouldn't have necessarily impacted us (we always use our points at DVC resorts), I was concerned about future further erosions of priviledges/perks for resale contracts, and the fact that they may not grandfather changes again next time. You don't even get the advantage of zero closing costs when purchasing from Disney any more.

Please, no one do the math for me. I don't even want to know what that decision cost me.

As a point of comparison, I also paid sticker price for the last car I bought. :sad2:

Have done both, it just matters were I can get the points I want and the use year I want. I have added on through Disney and paid a little more for a small amount of points because I could not find the use year I wanted the points for. Also have bought through resale because they had both.

Our original purchase in '06 was directly from DVC. Cold called the DVC 800 number and purchased that night, not even knowing there were other alternatives.

Our first add-on a few years later was a resale from the Timeshare Store. I checked online for quite a few months until the perfect contract we were looking for appeared. That went without a hitch, and we were able to get points at a sold out resort for a very reasonable price.

The add-on we just completed (after the announcement of the new resale restrictions) was directly from Disney. I guess I fell right into their scheming little web. While the new restrictions that have already been put in place wouldn't have necessarily impact us (we always use our points at DVC resorts), I was concerned about future further erosions of priviledges/perks for resale contracts, and the fact that they may not grandfather changes again next time. You don't even get the advantage of zero closing costs when purchasing from Disney any more.

Please, no one do the math for me. I don't even want to know what that decision cost me.

As a point of comparison, I also paid sticker price for the last car I bought. :sad2:

Frankly, I think you made the right decision if the perks/grandfathering in for perks aspect is important to you.

Plus, we looked daily (almost obsessively) during Feb & March for the PERFECT resale contract to beat the new restrictions. It was a PITA, and I have to admit I paid more for BWV than I ever thought I would resale wise. I saved over going direct from Disney, but it was WAY more time and stress as should have been necessary for a luxury purchase.

Had we not found the BWV resale contract, I would have bought a very small add on at BCV direct from Disney sometime this year.

The new possibility of the Grand Floridian is keeping our add-on-itis at bay ;) That and our pocketbooks.

do some of the current resale contracts then not carry the current restrictions ? what is a pita contract ?

we were in disney this week and our (rather seemingly unmotivated) guide was quite brief in his explanation: for BLT, price now as 140 usd a point, minus 16 usd a point for a purchase around 220 points, plus the number of points you purchase from use year 2010 without paying those maintenance dues
The guy at the booth who had sent us to the guide however had told us to ask both about the disney cruise incentive as well as a discount. I'm guessing the discount was those 16 usd and the disney cruise the 2010 points you'd receive ????? or could we have negotiated a better deal ?
i thought then about buying resale, but reading now about all those restrictions, it's making me hesitate (i live in europe and liked the possibility of using points for disneyland paris).

also, the guy told me we could only buy directly from disney as long as we were in florida ? is this true ?

do some of the current resale contracts then not carry the current restrictions ? what is a pita contract ?

we were in disney this week and our (rather seemingly unmotivated) guide was quite brief in his explanation: for BLT, price now as 140 usd a point, minus 16 usd a point for a purchase around 220 points, plus the number of points you purchase from use year 2010 without paying those maintenance dues
The guy at the booth who had sent us to the guide however had told us to ask both about the disney cruise incentive as well as a discount. I'm guessing the discount was those 16 usd and the disney cruise the 2010 points you'd receive ????? or could we have negotiated a better deal ?
i thought then about buying resale, but reading now about all those restrictions, it's making me hesitate (i live in europe and liked the possibility of using points for disneyland paris).

also, the guy told me we could only buy directly from disney as long as we were in florida ? is this true ?

All contracts sold from 3/20/11 forward will carry the restrictions. Points bought directly from Disney will have the additional options for the original owner only. Once they go to sell, those contracts will not carry to the new owner.

I have all points bought direct--however, if I sold tomorrow, they would become restricted points for the new owner.

If you really have a need or desire to use points outside of DVC for some of the Disney Collection options, then you will be forced to go direct. Just remember, though, that those options are still a perk and at any time, Disney could remove them as part of the plan for everyone. Will it happen anytime soon? I don't think so but I also believe that everyone needs to be cautious about buying DVC for any other reason that to stay in DVC resorts.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter