Adding offsite friend to reservation for DVC perks

MagicRat

Mouseketeer
I apologize in advance if some will be offended by this, but I'll go ahead and ask- we met a family from Canada on our cruise last year and kept in touch with them over this year- our kids became great friends on the ship and e-mail and facetime each other regularly. Since, then, we basically talked them into planning another cruise again that we will be on in May- so excited and the kids are ecstatic to see their out-of-town friends again for a week!

Question- the night before the cruise, we have a 2 BR at the Beach and Yacht club on points. Our plan is to spend the day at the pool and then hit Epcot at night which has EMH. This should be a great day pre-cruise. The friends are staying offsite. Can anyone think of any concerns if I add them to our reservation as a guest so that they could come to the pool with us and stay at Epcot for the EMH?

My family is 4 and they are 4 so we were within the 2 BR limit for guests. I think this would be a nice gesture since we talked them into spending about $10K for the cruise (including flights, etc.) and also our kids will love to have the day with them. Also, it would give them access to Magic Bands for FP+ which I don't know if Dis will have by then staying offsite otherwise.

I realize some may think this is wrong somehow (taking advantage of the system?), but I really don't have an issue with it. The only risks I could think of was that their bands would give them access to our room, but I can live with that risk. I wouldn't have any charging privileges on those bands. Anyone see any other potential problems with this plan?

I would do it :). I don't think I would want to actually share my 2BR villa, but it would certainly make things easier.

ETA: I'm assuming you won't be getting the Dining Plan? Because if you do, then everybody on the reservation needs to get it. Just a thought.

agreed with previous posters - it's your reservation - you're within the guidelines and it would make everyone's time more enjoyable.

Go for it.:goodvibes

As PP said, you are within the limits, rights, and allowed to do it, so go for it if you so choose.
Whoever pays the piper calls the music.
:rockband: :charac2: :mic: :music:

I don't believe I would consider this gaming the system.

Your points are paid for with Maintenance Fees to cover up to 8 (or 9) people taking showers, using towels, washer, dryer, etc.

In this case, you are not using your fair share of traffic on those maintenance fees.

We do a 2 bedroom for the (4) of us as well...but we love the space.

We did the same thing with a reservation last December for 2 of our friends who were driving over for the day to visit Disney and dine with us (just for the day and not overnight). It was nice that they were able to get a parking pass and magic bands with the fast passes. They can use those magic bands for future park visits, too. I see no problem or ethical issues as long as the number of people is within the maximum number you are allowed on your reservation. We don't link our credit cards to our reservation/magic bands either.

Thanks for the replies. Just seems like sometimes if you ask "can I do X..." it brings down a lot of varying opinions.

Thanks for the replies. Just seems like sometimes if you ask "can I do X..." it brings down a lot of varying opinions.

That's usually because the majority of those questions are about doing things that aren't allowed. That wasn't your case.

We did this over Christmas at Aulani. 5 of us were staying in a 2BR and 4 were staying at a different timeshare in Waikiki. We put all 9 of us on the Aulani reservation so they could come use the pool and ameneties.

We were within the occupancy guidelines and didn't abuse the system. 4 people just didn't sleep in the room.

Do it. It also allowed them to come and go from the room as they had their own keys (no charging priviledges) and we didn't have to be there to let them in and out.

Now, for us, those 4 were my sister and family not friends - but same concept.

On our last trip our family of 4 stayed in a THV. My sister and BIL stayed in their timeshare offsite. I added them to our reservation so that if they ever wanted to use the pools with us, they could. They never did, but it was nice to know they had the option.

I will be doing just this in July at Aulani. We will have a 2 bedroom with 5 people and have family that is local (5 minutes from Aulani - how lucky for them!). There are 4 of them so we will still be within the occupancy limits by adding them to the reservation. They have 2 kids right around DS age and we would love to be able to have the kids play and for all of us to just visit at the resort!

I have done this and I am doing it again next month.
In the past we had a club level studio at the AKL and it was just me and DH I added his Aunt and Uncle who are CM to our reservation so they could come up and join us for drinks and snacks.

Next month we are staying at BC and I added them so they can come to the pool and Top of the Lounge. Both times they did not stay with us in the room. I have not broken any laws. So go ahead and add them. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter